Is homosexuality banned in Thailand?

John Answer

1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

A rule for same sex unions is in the works in Thailand. Homosexuality is common and goes without much notice except those that want to be noticed (ladyboys.) 

It's in the works but at this time there is no certainty that it will actually become law anytime soon (or indeed ever). 

Rereading the OP, I'm going to assume the OP is Australian and is married to a man in Australia. That's great but that as far as the current law in Thailand is concerned they are two single men. Whether a private company in Thailand would recognize a same sex marriage done in another country would be a matter of company policy but they aren't obligated to do so under Thai law so I'm guessing if that would cost them money, they would tend not to. Also I am not aware of any anti-discrimination in employment laws in Thailand that would protect gay men. 

2 minutes ago, orchis said:

What do you mean by "in the office here"?
Homosexuality is not illegal, there are no civil unions or marriages though.

Yes his post is ambiguous so I took a stab at guessing. 

He should post again and clarify what exactly he is talking about.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The pending same sex partnership law is going to require that at least one of the partners be THAI. So assuming you're not Thai, forget about it. 

Homosexuality itself is  indeed legal here. 

I agree with you except I would have said that it is not illegal. In that no one, including the authorities seems to care.

I am hetero and welcomed the news that Australia now accepts gay marriage. Thailand and the rest of the world should follow suit.

No one has the right to determine how someone should be inclined sexually.

No one, no religion or politician should be interested in what happens in another persons bedroom.

But the poster would be better off marrying his partner in Australia. That would be a start.

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Homosexuality in Thailand is legal Same sex marriages and civil unions are not recognised at this time.

In general, Thailand is a good country for same sex couples to live, but their relationship does not in any way help with visas.

Its OK
and same sex marriages was just announced!!!

At its final meeting of 2018, the cabinet signed off on a draft civil partnership bill which would make Thailand the first country in all of Asia, to afford status and legal protections to same-sex couples.

The cabinet endorsed the bill on the same day the interim assembly unanimously passed a law to legalize medical use of marijuana and recreational use of kratom.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/12/26/civil-unions-law-sent-to-thai-legislature/

11 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

and same sex marriages was just announced!!!

But it still has to be approved by the NLA which might not happen before their term ends in February according to other news articles I have read. Or it could be voted down was mentioned also.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The pending same sex partnership law is going to require that at least one of the partners be THAI. So assuming you're not Thai, forget about it. 

Homosexuality itself is  indeed legal here. 

That's interesting.  Can you provide a like to that information please?  

We are both Farangs from the UK.  Have had same sex partner ship for 13 ish years, been together for 21 years.

I was hoping this new law would give us some financial or legal security in the future if something happened to one of us.  

27 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

That's interesting.  Can you provide a like to that information please?  

We are both Farangs from the UK.  Have had same sex partner ship for 13 ish years, been together for 21 years.

I was hoping this new law would give us some financial or legal security in the future if something happened to one of us.  

"That's interesting.  Can you provide a like to that information please? "

Scan the news items in the 2 English language dailies over the last week, it's there.

(Bangkok Post and The Nation.)

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"That's interesting.  Can you provide a like to that information please? "

Scan the news items in the 2 English language dailies over the last week, it's there.

(Bangkok Post and The Nation.)

That's true that the detail has definitely been reported.

But it's important to keep in mind that none of this is law yet and there have been drives for same sex partnership civil rights in past years that simply faded away.

Not the right time.

Too busy with more critical stuff.

Who needs the controversy?

Sound familiar?

So it's not done until it's done.

If it happens I assume they will keep the one partner needs to be Thai rule for marriages done in Thailand, but I haven't seen anything yet about whether Thailand will be legally recognizing marriages of two foreigners that are living in Thailand.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

looking forward to when a foreign man can get citizenship based on marrying a Thai man

How easy is it for foreign man to obtain "citzenship" based on marrying Thai woman. Yes sure its occurred but in most cases just gives grounds for non o.

Back to the OP. Agree with some posts about it not being clear. Could be completely wrong but sounds like op is getting married in au and wondering if perhaps this can provide visa for married partner. Example the many folk here on non o, retirement etc and their spouse (non Thai) are also able to obtain visa. Any other theories??

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How easy is it for foreign man to obtain "citzenship" based on marrying Thai woman. Yes sure its occurred but in most cases just gives grounds for non o.

Back to the OP. Agree with some posts about it not being clear. Could be completely wrong but sounds like op is getting married in au and wondering if perhaps this can provide visa for married partner. Example the many folk here on non o, retirement etc and their spouse also able to obtain same. Any other theories??

Well, same sex marriage is finally fully legal in Australia, yet the OP mentions he's in a civil marriage. Layers of fog in that OP and then he disappears.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

. Also I am not aware of any anti-discrimination in employment laws in Thailand that would protect gay men. 

The law does exist but I've never heard of a case where it was successfully executed.

For one good reason....TiT!

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

Homosexuality is not illegal in Thailand and a civil partnership registration in whatever you call "here" makes no difference whatsoever.

Indeed, as the legal  rights and benefits available to heterosexual unions do not apply.  It becomes a serious concern when one  wishes to plan an estate or to ensure critical care control. Care must be given to  execute power of attorney/ guardianship.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:07 PM, glegolo said:

I dont think gay people can get married in Thailand..

glegolo

We are in the process of getting married at the marriage office in Perth. So we do not want to visit Thailand to marry. Far be it from me to even imagine such desperate measures for anybody on the planet

On 12/29/2018 at 10:38 PM, BritTim said:

Homosexuality in Thailand is legal Same sex marriages and civil unions are not recognised at this time.

In general, Thailand is a good country for same sex couples to live, but their relationship does not in any way help with visas.

OK. We just want to live. 

On 12/30/2018 at 12:57 AM, Jingthing said:

Rereading the OP, I'm going to assume the OP is Australian and is married to a man in Australia. That's great but that as far as the current law in Thailand is concerned they are two single men. Whether a private company in Thailand would recognize a same sex marriage done in another country would be a matter of company policy but they aren't obligated to do so under Thai law so I'm guessing if that would cost them money, they would tend not to. Also I am not aware of any anti-discrimination in employment laws in Thailand that would protect gay men. 

OP is Australian not married to Korean reason why I am not crazy and alive for one thing. U talking about that Thailand in Europe called Amsterdam?

Archived