Issues with runflats

Inderpland

I bought a car a few months ago and already one of the runflats have "cracked". Apparently this is a known issue on this model (CLA 250). I talked to a guy at the dealership who'd had his car for a couple of years and he'd had this happen to him 6 times already!

My question is if changing to standard tires (and carry one spare) is an option or would I have any issues? Could I use the same rims?

20181229_100826 (Small).jpg

Just now, Crossy said:

New car? Replace under warranty.

Otherwise it's my understanding that you can fit conventional tyres on the existing rims.

Yes, the tire will be replaced and paid for by the insurance company but since this probably will happen regularly I want to look at what options I have since this is a huge pain in the rear.

Me and my car are now stranded 250 km away from Pattaya waiting for a flatbed to bring us back.

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Remember that once you replace 1 you should replace the tire in parallel. Having been through the hassles of run flats on my  previous vehicle, I sympathize. Which manufacturer? One has the option of selecting Pirelli, Michelin, Continental etc.

They're Goodyear Eagle tires.

2 hours ago, Inderpland said:

They're Goodyear Eagle tires.

Go to a GoodYear Autocare shop and ask them to send it back to GoodYear.

I sent a tyre back a few weeks ago ...was on my Everest 5mm of tread keft and they credited me 3472thb which was almost half the cost of a new tyre ..fault was tread lifted.

After two weeks phone the Tech at GoodYear and ask why it failed ...much quicker than waiting for the Tech to contact the shop ...

It also happened to me on a E-class. Nothing to do with the cars, it's just about run flats !

But still, I will never be stupid enough to use the standard tires. I don't want to look like a laborer trying to change a wheel on the side road.

Run flats have pro and cons, but for me, safety is more important than comfort.

10 hours ago, Inderpland said:

Yes, the tire will be replaced and paid for by the insurance company but since this probably will happen regularly I want to look at what options I have since this is a huge pain in the rear.

Me and my car are now stranded 250 km away from Pattaya waiting for a flatbed to bring us back.

why a flatbed, I have been driving 150 kms with a cracked run flat. No problem, this is what they are made for. You are weird.

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Remember that once you replace 1 you should replace the tire in parallel. Having been through the hassles of run flats on my  previous vehicle, I sympathize. Which manufacturer? One has the option of selecting Pirelli, Michelin, Continental etc.

Another stupid "fact" that has been repeated to me, but I have been driving 10000+ kms with conventional and run flat without any problem. So why people keep repeating something that has no meaning ?

55 minutes ago, moreem said:

Another stupid "fact" that has been repeated to me, but I have been driving 10000+ kms with conventional and run flat without any problem. So why people keep repeating something that has no meaning ?

Some arrogant people just present as needing to be told these things.

5 hours ago, moreem said:

I would like to know the answer to that ... replace tyres in pairs ... or even all four.

One of mine,as I said, failed at 5mm/30K kms ... I changed all and as it happened to 'rotation one direction only tyres'.

Much on the internet about effect of tyre depth and wet braking and also about effect on drive systems of different tread depth...so can tyres with different tread depths on the same axle effect what happens when you brake.

Time for a New Tear topic on this subject ... anyone  ...

You dont know many Sporting Motorists Mr OP. Even BMW dealers here quietly recommend a full wheel change to Pirelli P6 {My Choise} on upgraded rims. My friend didnt change and has had no prob with 2 Cars in 6 years..so lttle point in heated discussion imo. I did because i had useless Dunlop Denovoes on a Rover 3.5 years ago. I  think if they were so brilliant Mercedes could afford some for Mr Hamlton next year. My Wife has them, but she just drives to Tyre Plus on a flat anyway.!.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:14 AM, Woodsie888 said:

From the photo, I would suspect it may be the result of curb or pothole damage, rather than a random tyre failure.  A close inspection will reveal the cause.

This is clearly the only truth.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:21 PM, moreem said:

why a flatbed, I have been driving 150 kms with a cracked run flat. No problem, this is what they are made for. You are weird.

The car is 250 km away from the shop. And you seem to be a grumpy old git. 

From the photo, I would suspect it may be the result of curb or pothole damage, rather than a random tyre failure.  A close inspection will reveal the cause.

Let's hope so but as I said the guy I met in the place I bought the car had this happen to him 6 times in a year or so. Time will tell.

• 3 months later...

Yes it is the reason.

Archived