Chinese Tourist Loses Arm In Sobering Reminder Of Thai Road Safety

webfact

Chinese Tourist Loses Arm In Sobering Reminder Of Thai Road Safety

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

6a68f124gy1fymms7ubugj21361t4avj-copy-69

Photos: 单翼的花精灵 / Weibo

BANGKOK — Like many others, one Chinese tourist was looking to ring in the new year with a tropical respite. But as happens too often in these final weeks, her plans came to an abrupt end in a road accident that cost her an arm.

The Chinese woman recounted online in grisly detail the accident that befell her while traveling to Koh Chang on a family holiday in a Friday Weibo post picked up by Thai netizens.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2018/12/30/chinese-tourist-loses-arm-in-sobering-reminder-of-thai-road-safety/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-12-31

As has been highlighted on many occasions the problem in the major towns and cities here in Thailand is the number of coaches that navigate the streets, many if not all of the roads & side streets do not have the correct foundations for this type of heavy traffic, this is clearly visible around Pattaya where the coaches are churning up the roads and/or damaging underground water pipes.

In China the condition of the roads is definitely better although I must say the quality of driving standards is equally the same.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Roads in tourist cities have no holes, are well lit and have CCTVs,” wrote the admin of the Aizhong page, which posted the translated post.

they forgot to say ONLY the MAIN roads are well maintained, side roads are like Thai roads, full of potholes

Can't say that........face!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Roads in tourist cities have no holes, are well lit and have CCTVs,” wrote the admin of the Aizhong page, which posted the translated post.

they forgot to say ONLY the MAIN roads are well maintained, side roads are like Thai roads, full of potholes

Just to prove you wrong

The rural road is a vital building block of rural connectivity and plays an important role in the rural economy of most developing countries. Many countries have implemented impressive rural road development programmes. However, often they have not been equally successful in establishing a sustainable maintenance programme, which is vital not only to preserve the value of this important national asset but essential to provide continuing support to the growth of rural economy. In the Asia-pacific region, China has a high rate of rural road maintenance. An estimated 90 per cent of rural roads are now maintained. This article examines China’s rural road maintenance system, especially the institutional and financial arrangements that have ensured such a high rate of maintenance. The article also provides descriptive details of the regulatory framework at the central level as well as government initiatives at local levels concerning rural road maintenance in China

It's only been 60 or so years since the transition from Ox driven carts to modern vehicles... give them a bit longer... lets say the end of this century!!!!

In olden days you could be as pissed as a fart & the Ox would know it's way home...

no-one has explained to them that this does not occur in a vehicle.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

All the checkpoints do is clog traffic on the highways, and put alot of cash into the pockets of the toy police. It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference. 

The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made, and the highways would be safer. 

Just a few days ago, I was driving along at about 110kph, on a good, straight stretch of highway. A safe speed. And some joker cuts in front of me with his pickup truck. Within two meters in front of me, then slams on his brakes. I guess he never stopped to look at the lane he was cutting into to see that there was no room for him! I slammed on my brakes to avoid the numnut, and barely missed him. Would have been a horrific crash. Why? What was the point of him changing lanes? Why didn't he look first? Who changes lanes without looking first, when they are doing over 100 kph? Why so little regard for his wife, and for others? Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

Too many "whys" for Thailand!!

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

All the checkpoints do is clog traffic on the highways, and put alot of cash into the pockets of the toy police. It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference. 

The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made, and the highways would be safer. 

Just a few days ago, I was driving along at about 110kph, on a good, straight stretch of highway. A safe speed. And some joker cuts in front of me with his pickup truck. Within two meters in front of me, then slams on his brakes. I guess he never stopped to look at the lane he was cutting into to see that there was no room for him! I slammed on my brakes to avoid the numnut, and barely missed him. Would have been a horrific crash. Why? What was the point of him changing lanes? Why didn't he look first? Who changes lanes without looking first, when they are doing over 100 kph? Why so little regard for his wife, and for others? Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

You got to understand Thais. Being able to overtake cars in front even there is no space and reaching destination 10 secs faster would be a big achievement they can be proud of for the rest of the day.

7 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Mavideol, since we waited on that tour bus 15 minutes, then the cop showed up and

did as I mentioned. I reallydoubt your story. So since I did not see you at the scene

where did your conclusion come from? You a Chinese guy, or what?

Geezer

15 minutes VS 12 years who to believe?

On 12/31/2018 at 3:45 AM, spidermike007 said:

I agree with the thrust of your post but I don't think 110kph can be considered a good, safe speed on Thailand's roads due to the other road users, such as you encountered. 

On 12/31/2018 at 3:45 AM, spidermike007 said:

Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

Agree 100%, but why blame the lack of surveillance from the police? Shouldn't the drivers have the ability to maneuver their vehicles without surveillance? Of course they should, but they can't because it's still the first generation of people who have the ability to buy (on credit, mind you) a car /mc. You'll have to wait one or two generations until they'll drive like people in western countries.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:10 AM, bluesofa said:

Reminds of the guy who was dating a witch. He said that one day they were out driving in his car. "She put her hand on my knee and I turned into a lay-by."

(Translation for the non-Brits: lay-by. A paved area at the side of a highway designated for drivers to stop in, for emergency parking, or where vehicles can wait.)

Isn't that dogging malarkey also another use of layby's .. :shock1:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

'another use of layby's' - or did you mean another use of ladyboys?

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one.

We used to look for Ladybird's in the ones out in the stick's .. but only in summer time .. :smile:

• Haha 2