Venice to charge tourist entry fee for short stays

webfact

Venice to charge tourist entry fee for short stays

Venice has won approval to introduce an entry fee of up to €10 (£9; $11.50) for short-stay tourists.

Italy's budget for 2019 has a clause enabling Venice to impose the fee, which will especially target day-trippers arriving on cruise ships.

Tourists already pay a similar "landing tax" when they visit Italy's tiny Aeolian Islands. Venetians have long complained that mass tourism is swamping the city, adored for its picturesque canals.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46721456

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2019-01-01

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Fair enough, just like paying a relative small fee entering a museum or park...????

Yes indeed

My sister lives about 15 minutes north and when there we often visit .

Nice to visit , but expensive IMO. The steps at Doge's palace were always under water when ever I went there,

the additional funds from an entrance fee should help to mitigate some of the problems, I would gladly pay it. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Yes indeed

My sister lives about 15 minutes north and when there we often visit .

Nice to visit , but expensive IMO. The steps at Doge's palace were always under water when ever I went there,

the additional funds from an entrance fee should help to mitigate some of the problems, I would gladly pay it. 

Very expensive in my modest opinion, or I might just be too poor to afford being a frequent visitor; however enjoyed every few time I've been there – always stayed for three days inside Venice, and always been dry, so I've been lucky – and highly recommend the experience, even with an "entrance fee"...????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Very expensive in my modest opinion, or I might just be too poor to afford being a frequent visitor; however enjoyed every few time I've been there – always stayed for three days inside Venice, and always been dry, so I've been lucky – and highly recommend the experience, even with an "entrance fee"...????

I agree, if it wasn't for my sister and the fact that I have a place to stay for free and a car available to me, I would not be able to visit too often also,

By  the way, love the food there, Northern Italian cousin is incredible!  I am a vegetarian for the most part, but I always go off the reservation when I am there.

• Like 1