Nong Khai immigration office refusing to issue residency certificate on non-immigrant O marriage visa (multiple-entry)

18 hours ago, ramr said:

Don't have a long-term rental agreement in Udon upon which to base a change of address and TM30, so no go there.

I suppose I could check into a hotel in Udon and *hope* they register me with immigration as they are required to do, but many don't bother...or don't bother unless the person is going to stay a longer time (7+ or 10+ days is a figure I commonly hear).

I can virtually guarantee that if you check into a hotel in Udon then go straight to immigration tell them that you are going to be staying a few weeks showing your receipt for first night stay they will say no problem, ฿500 and here is your residence certificate. No need for waiting for the hotel to report your arrival as it's their job immigration won't care.

Then pop down to the LT office just out of Udon on the way to KK if you have an IDP you will get the 2 year licence. If you want both license's only get a single residence cert from immigration and DO NOT they'll them you're getting two license's as the second only needs copies.

In in the event I'm wrong you are only down 1 nights stay

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you want both license's only get a single residence cert from immigration and DO NOT they'll them you're getting two license's as the second only needs copies.

Before i went to get my DL in Udon i had my GF call the DLT, and they told her that they need one original for each license, so two for bike + car. But one original medical certificate was enough

28 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Technically you are not a resident and hence don't qualify - simple as that.

Get an international drivers license from your home country and use that one instead - or fix your stay visa in Thailand to a one-year visa. 

Technically with a one year visa (permit to stay) you are also not a resident, as explained before. But technicalities are not what matters here, it's probably about money or something related to that.

Edited by jackdd

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Before i went to get my DL in Udon i had my GF call the DLT, and they told her that they need one original for each license, so two for bike + car. But one original medical certificate was enough

However when I went in person I was specifically told that 1 was enough by the head man himself. Different people different answers, in person and over the phone different answers, not unusual. TIT

Edited by sometimewoodworker

There are several mistakes that you have made. You sent your landlord to immigration to ask about a residence certificate for you instead of you going with your wife and asking about it yourself. Another mistake is that you bypassed your own immigration office and went to Savannakhet and got a marriage visa there because you did not meet the financials for your own immigration office and the immigration offices are not stupid and they know why you bypassed them. You are only temporary in Thailand with your visa as you MUST leave the country every 90 days instead of staying in the country and doing your 90 day reports.

If you had of applied for your marriage extension in Nong Khai then they would have visited your home and they would know your address from their records. You can only get a residence certificate from the immigration office that is responsible for the area that you live in, if you go and stay at a hotel in another area like some have said then you are only there as a temporary resident and as you have just sent your landlord to the Nong Khai office with the TM30 to register you as living there then. One person states that they guarantee that you will get a residence certificate from Udon Thani if you stay there for 1 night and that is a load of rubbish also that same person states that there is no International Drivers license, well that is correct but they failed to say that it is an International Drivers Permit which you must apply for in your home country 

Op, I know this is different to your situation, but when I thought I needed a residency certificate from Phethabun immigration they did not know that there was one. Went to the DLT to change a bike registration and they did not care/know about a RC. Has your local DLT asked for one for the license.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

How did they get your address?

It was as I put on their form but was the same as the registered bike address for the GF. I know this is not usual having been through the process on Samui, but maybe DLT are the same as immigration that they have different rules for different provinces.

23 hours ago, ramr said:

Thanks for the info, but you also have to go through the immigration office to get the yellow book and the requirements for the residence certificate are but a subset of the requirements for a yellow tabien baan.  If they won't give me a residence certificate, they're definitely not going to give me a yellow book.

I didn't have to go through Immigration to get the yellow book,  only local resonant office,  Ray g

• Like 1

I have never seen this illusive 'residency certificate' but I've had a few letters from Korat Immigration confirming my address and each time I was on a multi entry 0.  All that was required each time was my passport with visa intact and a copy of my usufruct agreement.  I must admit that when I obtained the last one, there was some kind of problem, the staff didn't seem to understand what I meant but I was eventually sent to a side office where I explained that I'd had a letter before and why I wanted it.  The usual 500 baht later I left with the certificate. The weird thing about these letters are that they are specific to the purpose you require them for and only last for 3 months.  I remember needing to get 2 separate letters when I got my drivers licence and opened a bank account.

But OP, as someone has mentioned already, if you're having problems with your local I.O., just go to your Embassy who will issue same.

6 hours ago, skatewash said:

LOL, a requirement to get a yellow book in most amphoes is to have a residency certificate from immigration.

Well I've had my Yellow Book for about 5 Years Now & I Didn't even go to immigration ( Just Went straight to the Amphur Office HERE in Nong Khai......Issued the SAME Day,But only after They had eaten Lunch......LOL !!

Edited by Nong Khai Man

On 1/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, ramr said:

Thanks for the info, but you also have to go through the immigration office to get the yellow book and the requirements for the residence certificate are but a subset of the requirements for a yellow tabien baan.  If they won't give me a residence certificate, they're definitely not going to give me a yellow book.

You don’t get the yellow book which a House Book from Immigration but your local Amphur ( District Office ).

As with other departments they all have their own rules my office was particularly bureaucratic but I succeeded in the end and obtained the pink ID card as well.

Despite having the ID card, having a retirement extension and having lived at the same address for eight years the local Department of Transport office require me to obtain the residency certificate from Immigration to renew my drivers licence unless I accept the two year licence.

Unfortunately that’s the way things work here, accept it or leave.

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They do not exist or are fake.

Why are they fake?

I can obtain an International Drivers permit which only confirms the details of your licence, in Australia for use outside of Australia and can obtain one here in Thailand for use outside of Thailand.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Why are they fake?

I can obtain an International Drivers permit which only confirms the details of your licence, in Australia for use outside of Australia and can obtain one here in Thailand for use outside of Thailand.

the question i replied to was for an International Licence not an IDP.

All International licences are fake and people keep buying them and they are worthless

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You don’t get the yellow book which a House Book from Immigration but your local Amphur ( District Office ).

As with other departments they all have their own rules my office was particularly bureaucratic but I succeeded in the end and obtained the pink ID card as well.

Despite having the ID card, having a retirement extension and having lived at the same address for eight years the local Department of Transport office require me to obtain the residency certificate from Immigration to renew my drivers licence unless I accept the two year licence.

Unfortunately that’s the way things work here, accept it or leave.

Just go to a different DLT office to renew, you do Not have to use the nearest one

20 hours ago, Russell17au said:

There are several mistakes that you have made. You sent your landlord to immigration to ask about a residence certificate for you instead of you going with your wife and asking about it yourself.

Yup, wife was out of town and I wanted an answer sooner rather than later.  Landlord's responsibility to file TM30, she was happy to go, so I thought I'd save myself a trip and have her ask the question while she was already there.  Live and learn.  

20 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Another mistake is that you bypassed your own immigration office and went to Savannakhet and got a marriage visa there because you did not meet the financials for your own immigration office and the immigration offices are not stupid and they know why you bypassed them.

A "mistake" none of my friends in different provinces on a multi-entry Savannakhet O visa have paid for, so I didn't consider it a possibility.  To my mind, my greatest mistake was living in the Nong Khai office's jurisdiction.  ????   

Things are (have been, really) definitely shifting from "spirit of law" interpretations to "letter of law" for farangs as the years pass...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramr said:

Things are (have been, really) definitely shifting from "spirit of law" interpretations to "letter of law" for farangs as the years pass...

Be careful what you wish for, because when the law was made, and thus the "spirit of low" set, there was no certificate of residence, if you wanted to prove your address your name had to be in a house book

- The certificate of residence isn't mentioned in Thai law

- It doesn't have a code, like official documents usually have (for example TM30, TM for immigration, document number 30), so it's only kind of official.

It was most likely introduced after the laws were written, on a lower administrative level, to enable foreigners to prove their address without the need to be registered in a house book.

Actually when looking at it from this perspective it makes sense that you don't need a certificate of residence to be registered in a house book, even the yellow house book existed before the certificate of residence did.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

Epilogue:  after going to immigration, it's exactly as I feared.  To get a residence certificate, they'd need me to convert to a full-year visa and show financials.  That's life!  They weren't exactly rude, but weren't exactly friendly, either.  I mentioned politely that I wasn't trying to put one on over on them, it's just that it never occurred to me that this would be a problem since the provinces my friends with multi-entry O visas are in are not so strict.  I said, "Clearly Nong Khai immigration is different, I get it, thank you for the clarification."  As soon as I said the word "different" in Thai, the officer said something along the lines of "You got that right, son!"

I'm just lucky that I don't desperately *need* the license, as I ride my bicycle most everywhere and don't own a car.

I might try the yellow book route since it goes through the amphur office and not immigration, as I had remembered incorrectly earlier.

Just want to thank all the constructive posters on this thread for all the suggestions and info!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ramr said:

Epilogue:  after going to immigration, it's exactly as I feared.  To get a residence certificate, they'd need me to convert to a full-year visa and show financials.  That's life!  They weren't exactly rude, but weren't exactly friendly, either.  I mentioned politely that I wasn't trying to put one on over on them, it's just that it never occurred to me that this would be a problem since the provinces my friends with multi-entry O visas are in are not so strict.  I said, "Clearly Nong Khai immigration is different, I get it, thank you for the clarification."  As soon as I said the word "different" in Thai, the officer said something along the lines of "You got that right, son!"

I'm just lucky that I don't desperately *need* the license, as I ride my bicycle most everywhere and don't own a car.

I might try the yellow book route since it goes through the amphur office and not immigration, as I had remembered incorrectly earlier.

Just want to thank all the constructive posters on this thread for all the suggestions and info!

I said, "Clearly Nong Khai immigration is different,......You were Correct there, I Avoid the place,Never been in since they fined me 800 Baht for NOT Reporting within 24 Hours of arriving back in the Country from the U.K ( Almost 8 Years Ago ) Have been In & Out Many times since,But NEVER Reported it to them.....Believe it mate They are a Shower of Pr***s !!!!

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, ramr said:

(Note: even if I had the money, I'd do everything I could to find an alternative to keeping that much money in a Thai bank, for reasons that are obvious to many).

Exactly what would those "obvious reasons" be, then?  Please enlighten those of us (99.9%+ perhaps?) who have kept money in Thai banks for decades with no problems.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Exactly what would those "obvious reasons" be, then?  Please enlighten those of us (99.9%+ perhaps?) who have kept money in Thai banks for decades with no problems.

Mainly exchange rate concerns over the next few years, which might be especially turbulent for the country.  Or not.  Admittedly, it's not exactly a crippling fear for me, but experience has taught me--in terms of consumer rights, information security, and stability--not to trust any Thai business (even banks) to the extent I would trust a business back home.  Especially when they are dealing with a farang. 

This may seem superstitious and paranoid to many, but there it is...

I'll qualify my answer though by asking and answering another question:  would I feel more confident after a couple more years of seeing what direction this country seems to be taking, post-election?  Probably.  Timing, as they say, is everything.  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 5:20 PM, ramr said:

I said, "Clearly Nong Khai immigration is different, I get it, thank you for the clarification."  As soon as I said the word "different" in Thai, the officer said something along the lines of "You got that right, son!" 

So, the border-crossing to Vientiane, on the edge of Nong Khai, is one of the friendliest in the country, yet that immigration-office sounds like one of the worst.  I suppose the office and the border-crossing are independent fiefdoms, run by different bosses, with different agendas.

Bizarre.  Most Issan officials tend to be more supportive of those of us up here supporting Thai families, as compared to the attitudes one might find in Bangkok suburb offices, for example.  Maybe the boss of that office had a "bad farang" in the family, or something.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:19 PM, Just Weird said:

Agreed.  Ironic how the banking experts seem to be the ones with visa/immigration/financial problems, yet they can talk about Bitcoin and AAPL with a straight face.  And let's not forget the almighty GBP...could lose 20% in a day....again.  BTW, COR was the first item on the list for my Yellowbook.  Also heard Nong Khai has been tough on income verification for years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moontang said:

Agreed.  Ironic how the banking experts seem to be the ones with visa/immigration/financial problems, yet they can talk about Bitcoin and AAPL with a straight face.  And let's not forget the almighty GBP...could lose 20% in a day....again.  

Never claimed to be an expert on banking, but feel free to pile on regardless.  There are always one or two in every Thaivisa thread.

It somehow seems apt that I thanked people for their constructive posts before this one.  ????

BTW, COR was the first item on the list for my Yellowbook.    

Sounds like Nong Khai Man didn't need one at the NK amphur office when he did it, though most amphur offices seem to require one.  Obviously a total crapshoot if I try to do the same; in Thailand, every government office and department is their own little fiefdom. 

Also heard Nong Khai has been tough on income verification for years.

Would have been great for me to know this several months ago, but all I had to go on at the time were rumors from friends and some vague and somewhat conflicting pronouncements on old Thaivisa threads that Nong Khai was a little strict.

Everything's fine, that's life, move on and lessons learned.  I do, however, hope that this becomes a cautionary tale for anyone else as regards the limits of the multiple-entry Savannakhet visa AND the NK immigration office.

14 hours ago, JackThompson said:

So, the border-crossing to Vientiane, on the edge of Nong Khai, is one of the friendliest in the country, yet that immigration-office sounds like one of the worst.  I suppose the office and the border-crossing are independent fiefdoms, run by different bosses, with different agendas.

Bizarre.  Most Issan officials tend to be more supportive of those of us up here supporting Thai families, as compared to the attitudes one might find in Bangkok suburb offices, for example.  Maybe the boss of that office had a "bad farang" in the family, or something.

Quite right.  Never had a hassle at the NK border crossing.  

I honestly have no idea what's up their butt at the NK immigration office, as they did add a little extra helping of snideness and officiousness on top of just doing their professional duty.  But they weren't downright nasty and obstructive, as has been the case with another immigration office I won't name and shame here.

If you need a cheap apartment in UTH, with a manager who knows the TM30 process and is a nice walk to the Imm Office, ...Grand Perfect Apartment...SOI Jintakarm....paperless 90 day reports, not many crowds, was sorry to leave for that reason, but not because UTH is like watching white paint dry....

Some of the Yellowbook s are done at the Tessaban, then back to the Amphoe for pink.....

Edited by moontang
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, ramr said:

Yup, wife was out of town and I wanted an answer sooner rather than later.  Landlord's responsibility to file TM30, she was happy to go, so I thought I'd save myself a trip and have her ask the question while she was already there.  Live and learn.  

A "mistake" none of my friends in different provinces on a multi-entry Savannakhet O visa have paid for, so I didn't consider it a possibility.  To my mind, my greatest mistake was living in the Nong Khai office's jurisdiction.  ????   

To my mind, my greatest mistake was living in the Nong Khai office's jurisdiction. .....Told Yer Mate, AVOID the place like the Plague !!

• Like 1