On Day 1 in power, House Democrats challenge Trump on shutdown

webfact

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is absolutely true. If anyone did not think he was an unstable non genius before, now they have proof. And add unhinged to that description. I think the pressure has been too much for his fragile psyche, and the lack of total obedience, on the part of the American people, and the media, is something that I do not think he expected. I think he assumed total compliance with his will, his ignorant policies, his lack of awareness, consciousness, conscience, his desire to utterly destroy the environment, for the sake of a few bucks, his desire to utterly abandon our allies, for the sake of coddling up to his favorite despots and dictators, or his inability to either attract or keep talent in his administration. 47 resignations or firings, and counting. 

I think Trump tapped into something though that all normal, competent candidates can use going forward. His simplistic speech patterns, his simplistic jingoist views, and extreme ethnocentrism are appealing to at least 38% of Americans. They lost trust in highly educated, highly trained and competent leaders because Trump (has represented himself to be) more like them. I don't believe he is at all like them, but I do believe his uninformed, unread, and unstudied approach is his actual self.

It was always interesting for me to listen to extremely intelligent, highly eloquent people like Bill & Hilary Clinton, Obama, even farther back Nixon etc., how they dumbed-down their vocabulary and speech to appeal to more people. But, nobody has dumbed-down more than Trump and it is naturally him.

In fact, a recent analysis revealed a major partisan divide between educated and non-educated.

According to exit polls, 61 percent of non-college-educated white voters cast their ballots for Republicans while just 45 percent of college-educated white voters did so. Meanwhile 53 percent of college-educated white voters cast their votes for Democrats compared with 37 percent of those without a degree.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/11/education-gap-explains-american-politics/575113/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

I think Trump tapped into something though that all normal, competent candidates can use going forward. His simplistic speech patterns, his simplistic jingoist views, and extreme ethnocentrism are appealing to at least 38% of Americans. They lost trust in highly educated, highly trained and competent leaders because Trump (has represented himself to be) more like them. I don't believe he is at all like them, but I do believe his uninformed, unread, and unstudied approach is his actual self.

It was always interesting for me to listen to extremely intelligent, highly eloquent people like Bill & Hilary Clinton, Obama, even farther back Nixon etc., how they dumbed-down their vocabulary and speech to appeal to more people. But, nobody has dumbed-down more than Trump and it is naturally him.

In fact, a recent analysis revealed a major partisan divide between educated and non-educated.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/11/education-gap-explains-american-politics/575113/

It probably helped that the dems called about half of America dumb, racist, white trash. It could be like Mazie Hirono says that the dems are just too smart to talk to people. Although if you watch her enough you see her using dumbed down quasi-local Hawaiian sort of speech patterns at times. 

If Trump is everything they say they should want him to stay in and easily defeat him. They problem is they have no real agenda of their own that is clear to anybody. Me good him bad might be good enough I guess.

But yeah how Trump pulled this off will be studied for years and years. 

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

You have to watch the news to notice the  fact the government is shut down. That's the embarrassing thing about it.

Only if you take the view that, if it does not directly affect you, then it doesn't matter. I do recognize that we do this all the time...afterall those boms also don't directly affect me...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

And he did give voice for the justified frustration/anger in the working middle class which has been squeezed for the last few decades. Unfortunately, those who voted for him (and we note tgat the majority of American voters either voted for someone else or stayed home) bought the "I'll fix it" promise with no policy proposals addressing the working middle class economic issue. The alternative candidate represented more of the same. The same pent up frustration/anger continues. We will see if the Democrats can get their act together in presenting policies/programs to answer the needed changes.

It is going to be quite the show with around 30 people running. They need to avoid going full cannibal on each other. 

59 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

It probably helped that the dems called about half of America dumb, racist, white trash. It could be like Mazie Hirono says that the dems are just too smart to talk to people. Although if you watch her enough you see her using dumbed down quasi-local Hawaiian sort of speech patterns at times. 

If Trump is everything they say they should want him to stay in and easily defeat him. They problem is they have no real agenda of their own that is clear to anybody. Me good him bad might be good enough I guess.

But yeah how Trump pulled this off will be studied for years and years. 

“But yeah how Trump pulled this off will be studied for years and years. 

It is not a matter of study, it’s the subject of a criminal investigation.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Trouble said:

I wish all those against a wall would suggest how the border patrol is supposed to stop people from crossing the border with just technology and a few feet on the ground?  If one Democratic representative in Congress could explain a way of stopping people from crossing illegally, I would be happy to listen.  

Did tackling the causes behind these people’s migration enter your head?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Did tackling the causes behind these people’s migration enter your head?

Ah yes USA has to fix all those countries problems, good thinking!  who cares about the money huh?  let them all in.. give them welfare and who cares if they are illegal?  Hooray for the PC State!

24 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Ah yes USA has to fix all those countries problems, good thinking!  who cares about the money huh?  let them all in.. give them welfare and who cares if they are illegal?  Hooray for the PC State!

Now you're proposing to give them welfare benefits, too? Well, that's a very generous innovation.

• Like 1