Dangerous driver, brakes blamed for pickup landing in Phuket jungle

rooster59

Dangerous driver, brakes blamed for pickup landing in Phuket jungle 

By Eakkapop Thongtub

image.jpg

The brakes could not prevent the pickup truck from rolling backwards down the hill, said its driver 25-year-old Sarawut Samranwong. Photo: Sapaluk ’Amnuay’ Khunnalak

PHUKET: A pickup truck loaded with tiles rolled some 40 metres backwards down a side street off Kata Hill this morning after the brakes failed to hold the heavily laden pickup on the steep slope, according to the 25-year-old driver.

Rescue workers were called to the scene, in Soi Suksan 1, on the east side of the hill between Chalong and Kata, at about 10:50am.

At the scene was a White Bangkok-registered Toyota pickup truck on its side in a ditch some 10 metres from the roadside down the steep hill.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/dangerous-driver-brakes-blamed-for-pickup-landing-in-phuket-jungle-69904.php#iIfUzSqoCGUkLa4t.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-01-05

Not brake failure, dangerous overloading. How unusual.

He quickly applied the brakes, which forced the pickup to a halt. From there the pickup’s front wheels pitched up off the road as the vehicle tilted backwards, then the pickup started rolling backwards down the hill.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/dangerous-driver-brakes-blamed-for-pickup-landing-in-phuket-jungle-69904.php#TxEStmUZCjlr7IZc.99

"...Mr Sarawut has a heavy vehicle licence issued in Samut Prakan province..."

I'm not sure a heavy vehicle licence applies to an obviously overloaded pickup - something lost in the interpretation! 

How much weight is needed in the back of a pickup to cause the vehicle to "rear up"  (That is a cowboy idiom meaning [for a horse] to lean back on its hind legs and raise its front legs!

It appears the brakes worked when he applied them to avoid hitting a car "that had cut him off" but then it appears he forget how much weight he had on a 500-750kg ute and tried to take off again going up the hill. BRAKE FAILURE MY ARSE!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Toyota only manufacture vehicles that are foolproof to operate. If only they could come up with an idiot proof design specifically for Thailand 

Have to wait for the self-driving technology. But, i fear something will go wrong there as well, when the thai mechanics start "mending" them...

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the brakes failed to hold the heavily laden pickup on the steep slope, according to the 25-year-old driver.

Perhaps if Kim Jong Un was invited to 'test drive' his latest nuclear device here, according to him it would flatten any country - getting rid of the dangerous mountains and slopes that cause so many problems.

Please subscribe for our 1 week (60 hrs) crash course at a famous scrap yard under the motto:
“Understanding the difference between brake failure and BRAIN FAILURE” (Thai nationals only). 

Don't forget to apply for a reduced fee sponsored by the Ministry of Transport.

5 hours ago, fakename said:

Im quite sure that the truck was not overloaded. I have never seen a truck in Thailand, that was overloaded. 

I know you're being facetious but take a look anyway.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=overloaded+thai+pickup+trucks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihmp7wyNjfAhVEpY8KHW9yCIQQ_AUIDigB

8 hours ago, a977 said:

It appears the brakes worked when he applied them to avoid hitting a car "that had cut him off" but then it appears he forget how much weight he had on a 500-750kg ute and tried to take off again going up the hill. BRAKE FAILURE MY ARSE!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same All the time, Brain Failure Nothing else.

I would agree that the back brakes failed, probably didn't work anyway....and the fronts were most likely working fine but one Thai driver needs to understand that it helps if the front wheels are touching the pavement.

Tried and tested get out clause is it not .. And every time its trotted out be it bike , car , bus or truck we never hear the follow on from the Feds to confirm or deny .. A vehicle , any vehicle is a machine made of glass , rubber , metal and plastic with batteries , some oil , fuel and sometimes water chucked in .. it has no soul , no conscience , no spirit .. it is a machine operated by ' umans and as such requires periodic maintenance and occasionally repair to continue to operate in a safe and efficient fashion .. But over here the train of logical thought coupled with the responsibility that should be fairly self evident to anybody who rides or drives a vehicle is replaced by superstitious hoodoo .. witness when a new motor is taken to the Wat to be daubed up with luckyness to keep the unruly spirits away .. but that placing of faith in the power of blessing then leads to an abdication from any sort of maintenance schedule in the belief that Bud' will take care of these things .. That is not only irresponsible it is criminally irresponsible in some of the mash-ups that occur here particularly when vehicle's used for commercial purposes are involved .. I worked in the motor trade for 35 yrs on everything from Honda Cub's up to STGC cat 2 heavy plant transporters ( only tank transporters come any bigger ) and only two instances of " brake failure " come to mind .. both were on big trucks and both resulted in fatalities of people who were unfortunate enough to have been in the way .. The follow on Police and DVLA ( VOSA previously ) investigations resulted in criminal prosecutions that seen those involved in the operation and maintenance of the truck's do time in Prison for their criminal negligence ( 8 yrs for one operator about whom the Judge was particularly scathing in his summing up ) .. Over here .? If it wasn't so serious with the appalling casualty rate in Thailand it would border on laughable that they actually believe that Amulets and the power of prayer can take the place of the manufacturers service schedule and maintenance that is a part of it ..

As for what happened here never mind the bit about braking sharply for another motor that cut in front .. that pickup would have been struggling to ascend the hill anyway .. My money's on the drive line giving up with possibly clutch failure being No1 as it struggled to climb the hill but as the brakes on any vehicle are heavily biased to the front ( 70F/30R by % being a fairly common split ) and the front wheels barely in planted contact with the tarmac any brake power has to come from the rear but with all that weight on the back end they are never going to be able to exert enough brake force to slow it let alone stop it .. Amazing Thailand never ceases to amaze sometimes ..

Every morning I sit outside my home having a coffee in the cool air, long before many are awake & the roads get too busy with school traffic....

Every morning the same truck goes by, laden with rice sacks, back bumper almost on the ground, front wheels literally bouncing on & off the road.... one morning I saw a traffic cop overtake him on his way to a local crossing to take care of the school rush... he didn't even bat an eyelid.

Not even a warning.. "hey mate, tomorrow a few bags less please" !!!

Archived