Thailand Still cheaper than home

jimmyyy

2 hours ago, Naam said:

Dreck is integrated in Yiddish like many other German words and grammar. :wink:

you think if I call some people on here a schmuck it will get past the censors ?   hahhaa   

Not you Naam !

and anyway... i am not a name caller

13 hours ago, rumak said:

Now if everyone just STARTED each post with the words :  IT IS MY OPINION THAT.......... , and by some miracle could understand that everyone does not live or think the same..... or value the same things , maybe the name calling , etc would calm down a bit.(not saying you have done that) Just making a point.

in simpler terms:  different strokes for different folks  

"in simpler terms:  different strokes for different folks"

This sums it up for me.

Having moved from the UK to Phuket, I find it far cheaper in most respects.  Some things are certainly more expensive - but mainly luxuries - plus the infrastructure is far worse.  e.g. electrical standards/power cuts/undrinkable well water, rather than hot and cold (drinkable) water easily available from the tap etc. etc.

As I was working in the UK, I was able to afford a FAR more expensive 'lifestyle' - but now living on pensions, I didn't find it particularly difficult to adopt a simpler 'lifestyle' and give up the luxuries that I found 'necessary in the UK to make up for the life I wasn't enjoying.

I still have 'bad times' obviously, but nonetheless I'm pretty much living my 'dream' - something I could never have afforded in the UK, especially reliant on pensions.

e.g. Don't have to work/able to rent a nice house with a big garden right by the beach in a relatively secluded area/far better weather (albeit too hot at times).

So I'll finish where I started 'different strokes for different folks'.  It always depends on one's priorities in life.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Having moved from the UK to Phuket, I find it far cheaper in most respects.  Some things are certainly more expensive - but mainly luxuries - plus the infrastructure is far worse

I will make an exception and instead of inviting some farangs to leave ....I will offer the suggestion that you check out the North.  The CM "haters" exist,  but for many the areas just outside CM are very pretty and believe me...far cheaper to rent in than Phuket.   No beach,  but cooler weather most of the year (and IMO not the horrible pollution that some go on about).   Nice mtn views, rice fields, and the Northern thais are

known for their calm and friendly manner.

I often thought ( and went many times) of moving to a beach area.....but too hot and humid for me .

2 hours ago, Naam said:

Dreck is integrated in Yiddish like many other German words and grammar. :wink:

And vice versa. We are all just one big Mischpoke (family).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_deutscher_Wörter_aus_dem_Hebräischen_und_Jiddischen

Far as I am concerned, if you are an alte kocker (old man) and a schnorer (cheapskate), you are better off in Thailand, you save money.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

And vice versa. We are all just one big Mischpoke (family).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_deutscher_Wörter_aus_dem_Hebräischen_und_Jiddischen

Far as I am concerned, if you are an alte kocker (old man) and a schnorer (cheapskate), you are better off in Thailand, you save money.

thees tread is getting velly off topic ..... but who cares

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, zzaa09 said:

Yep.

Lifestyles, costs of living, and situations will vary greatly from one individual to the next. 

Yet, on the whole, life can be had better in Thailand than most comparative Western lifestyles.

In your dreams,buddy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

In your dreams,buddy.

different strokes for different folks.   seems like you are one of those that don't want to allow for others opinions.  why don't you let us hear your point of view on why you disagree instead of throwing out 4 word put downs.

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 11:52 PM, marcusarelus said:

Find another comparison website and link it and use baht as the pound is dropping so quickly who knows what the exchange rate will be. 

You obviously really like your price comparison sites but as someone who actually lives between the UK and Thailand I can stand by my own observations. I suspect most people adding data to the site you quoted are expats and there is no like-for-like basis of specification or quality for comparison in a number of the items listed. One example - the inexpensive meal comparison is ridiculous tbh - yes you can get a simple 60 baht meal in Thailand but it ain't going to be much, yet the comparison says its equivalent is £15 in UK. Way off base.. for example, I can walk into a nice pub and get 2 full meals for £10-15. 

All the costs I looked at on your link were the THB figures and the translation to current GBP showed at £400k for my main property. So it is way off, at present, as I said. It would only be nearer the mark if the pound was trading at 55THB, which it has only done infrequently in the last 10 years. Also, the comparison basis inidicated between Rayong to a leading capital city and surrounds is apples v oranges. 

As I said in my original post, Thailand has a lot of advantages and it is very likely I will spend a significant period of my time there in future if I semi-retire within the next couple of years. But the "everything is cheaper" attitude doesn't match my experience and lifestyle - as I pointed out in my original post, where I listed how I found costs across a sample basket of goods and services. Anyone coming to live in Thailand thinking that is the case may be disappointed.

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 2:27 PM, moreem said:

so sad for you to live somewhere only because of economy. some people must have a sad life around here.

I'm not an economic refugee stuck where I am for a lack of resources or age.  We'll leave the city we're in and most likely Thailand altogether, soon as the Mrs' family situation evolves.  I still have time and resources to do that. 

Otherwise, agree with what you said.  Sad for the guys who come here thinking one thing, go all in financially, find out after X number of years they don't like it anymore but can't break free for a variety of reasons.  Lack of family back home, financial resources, etc.  So they stay and try to make the best of it.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

In your dreams,buddy.

Unless I was Rupert Murdoch or George Soros, I can't think of any woman 30 years younger than me in a Western country who would be interested in being with me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkyM3 said:

for example, I can walk into a nice pub and get 2 full meals for £10-15. 

Yes, my local pub in the UK has meals for 10-15 pounds each, but in Thailand a pub would charge 4 pounds.

The UK doesn't have much in the way of street food, so comparing a 40bht grapow or curry to anything is really hard, lets get it as a take out and compare it to a take away fish and chips, or a dona kebab, about 5 pounds (not 1 pound).

Food prices are fairly irrelevant as it's housing and women which are the major comparable costs.

1. New 3 bedroom detached house 12Km from the centre of a major city (Chiang Mai) 11.5KBht/month inc all tax and utils.

2. Slightly used slim 30 year old hired girlfriend 10KBht/month + expenses

Now compare those two with UK prices for me?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Where in Thailand?  Where back "home?"  What's the high, low and middle-range for any expense type?  Lots of things to take into account. 

I like this site.  You can disagree or argue about their figures, but I like data averages by city (yes, it doesn't include countrysides).  To me they are more informative that personal anecdotes.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/gmaps.jsp

Note that at the top you can select a different index.
If you click a city, you'll get a page of data about a range of types of expenses.

Edited by JTXR

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless I was Rupert Murdoch or George Soros, I can't think of any woman 30 years younger than me in a Western country who would be interested in being with me.

Mine's only 22 years younger.   Just about right !

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I like this site.  You can disagree or argue about their figures, but I like data averages by city (yes, it doesn't include countrysides).  To me they are more informative that personal anecdotes.

Really ??  That's like saying you would rather get your info on how to build a bridge from the internet, not from someone who has firsthand experience.   On the subject of living expenses in Thailand....if YOU had some experience living here and abroad....you could easily discern which posters here know the "comparisons" of living costs.......and those that are just quoting data sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JAFO, the discussion about private medical insurance is that of course it is a gamble.  How many of us get hit by a bus and need ICU treatment?  Probably very few.  How many of us need medical treatment as we get older?  Probably most of us.

I pay out for private medical insurance and I will be very happy if I never have to make a claim on that policy.  Dies that mean I've wasted my money?  IMHO, the answer is no.

If you have the $$$ to self-insure, then good luck to you.  But I think most of us aren't wealthy enough to self-insure.  The alternative is to pay for insurance cover.

Where do you place the insurance bill on your list of priorities?  Above or below your expenditure on alcohol, cigarettes, hookers, fine dining, foreign holidays........ ?

I place my medical insurance bill right at the top of my priority list for annual expenditure.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Well Im neither and am in danger of marrying one back home that is 40 years younger. But Im here in Thailand for the culture, not the women. My relationships with women here are 10 minutes or so.

23 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

In your dreams,buddy.

I agree.  I dreamed about a place where an old man like me could find affordable love, companionship, a good dog and a variety of chicken soup when I caught a cold.  Thailand is the stuff dreams are made of without breaking the bank. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Food prices are fairly irrelevant as it's housing and women which are the major comparable costs.

1. New 3 bedroom detached house 12Km from the centre of a major city (Chiang Mai) 11.5KBht/month inc all tax and utils.

2. Slightly used slim 30 year old hired girlfriend 10KBht/month + expenses

Now compare those two with UK prices for me?

Fantastic. God bless Thailand and allwho sail in her.

Care to say how much those expenses work out to over the 10k BM2? I'm thinking of running the same business model.

43 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well for once I need to commend you for your honesty and candidness.

That essentially sums it up for many in Thailand, it's cheap for old men to have sex!

Yes, I'm gonna be judgmental here, so cover your ears.

I went into my Thai adventure a little different to many, having met my wife in Singapore years before we actually moved to Thailand when I retired.

I had never been to any of the sexpat hangouts until a few years after we landed and  went to Pattaya for a few days vacation

At best you could say its exploitative, and in the worst cases almost obscene and probably criminal in many countries.

If that's what floats your boat, Ok, but don't try to mask it in the mantle of "I love the Temples and my utilities bill is cheaper"

I've noticed that.  They charge extra for young guys as they have no class or experience. 

So you think a brothel is exploiting women in Thailand?  

And you live in America where the age of consent in most places is 16 years of age- an age that would get you arrested and put in jail in Thailand. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

Doesn't that make you feel a bit hypocritical? 

Clubs in America make anything in Thailand look like a Sunday School.

Do you think Paradise Lakes or google sex-clubs/us could exist in Thailand?  No, of course not.

Thailand is more like a convent for nuns than a place to find sex if compared to the good old USA. 

Before you post take a look in your own back yard.  In case you had any doubt, Atlanta’s sex trade was worth a whopping $290 million in 2007 alone. Miami’s sex economy was worth $235 million, and Washington D.C.’s $103 million. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/12/sex-trade-study_n_4951891.html

What's the difference between a lady in Thailand and America.  They shower more in Thailand. 

Edited by marcusarelus

40 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

If that's what floats your boat, Ok, but don't try to mask it in the mantle of "I love the Temples and my utilities bill is cheaper"

Im old and fat.

I love the temples and the food and the lifestyle is cheaper.

I dont need the sex, a good 40 baht dinner and a wank is fine. If I want some, I get some

Im relaxed and having fun...and saving money...and taking pics...and chilling.

My gf at home is 40 years younger than I am and a 12 on a scale of 10 in looks (even though she is an annoying trust fund princess). I didn't need to come here for sex and love.

Everybody is different. This is my place to relax by myself.

I wouldnt mind a Russian girl though.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I guess I would call myself an economic refugee, because Australia has become one of the most expensive places in the world to live. That comment includes women, if you've ever had a brush with Australian family law.

Having said that, I live very well here - eat out most days, and enjoy golf and swimming. Plus other entirely legal activities that I hesitate to mention in a public arena.

I can move between various SE Asian countries. I'm not interested in going further afield, my days of 20 hour flights are over. My investments in Australia will very likely outlast me. For me, Thailand is the pick of the bunch.

I suppose I could live in Australia in very humble circumstances. Given I have enough money to live well here, I see no reason why I should.

I got you, no probs, certainly identify with your logical, balanced decision making process.

Was responding earlier to a guy who seemed to be suggesting that, because I was honest in saying I'm no longer happy, yet I'm still here, that I must be one of "those" guys, living in misery, unable to make a move.  Not the case.