Thailand Still cheaper than home

jimmyyy

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well for once I need to commend you for your honesty and candidness.

That essentially sums it up for many in Thailand, it's cheap for old men to have sex!

Yes, I'm gonna be judgmental here, so cover your ears.

I went into my Thai adventure a little different to many, having met my wife in Singapore years before we actually moved to Thailand when I retired.

I had never been to any of the sexpat hangouts until a few years after we landed and  went to Pattaya for a few days vacation

At best you could say its exploitative, and in the worst cases almost obscene and probably criminal in many countries.

If that's what floats your boat, Ok, but don't try to mask it in the mantle of "I love the Temples and my utilities bill is cheaper"

Perhaps in the next life.

Acclimation and adjustment ain't for everyone.

21 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Perhaps in the next life.

Acclimation and adjustment ain't for everyone.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to say.

But if acclimation means accepting women as sex objects to to bought and sold on a wholesale basis as in Thailand....No I'm not acclimatized or adjusted

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to say.

But if acclimation means accepting women as sex objects to to bought and sold on a wholesale basis as in Thailand....No I'm not acclimatized or adjusted

looks like that outfit you're wearing would take some acclimation.

BTW:   that stuff about thailand, old men, and sex was worn out a long time ago.  Try seeing the other 99% 

of Thailand (speaking thai might help).   As for the farangs here,  they come in many shapes and forms.

Try getting a larger sampling than the tourist areas, then come back and report.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:12 PM, Lacessit said:

Show me any pub in Oz where you can buy a decent meal for less than 3-4 times the price in an equivalent restaurant in Thailand. Show me any pub in Oz where a schooner of beer is not double the price here. Show me an apartment with a swimming pool in any capital city in Oz where a week's rent is not the same as a month's rent in Thailand. Yeah, I know - go live in Dubbo for the cheap rent.

Simpleton? You can't even spell the word "barely" correctly. Go troll somewhere else.

Was in the UK last week and popped into Weatherspoons for a bite to eat and a pint...

• £4 (Approx 160 THB) got me a very nice Beef Madras with a Naan & Popadoms
  • £2 (Approx 80 THB) got me a nice pint of Coors Light

... If I had the same in Bangkok it would be at least twice that.

But it's still much cheaper for me to live in Singapore than either UK or Bangkok & before anybody scoffs... the 25% higher salary & 20% less tax more than makes up for the higher rent which at the end of the day is the only thing that's really more expensive in SG than BKK/UK (No I don't have or need a car here, another major saving).

Show me any pub in Oz where you can buy a decent meal for less than 3-4 times the price in an equivalent restaurant in Thailand. Show me any pub in Oz where a schooner of beer is not double the price here. Show me an apartment with a swimming pool in any capital city in Oz where a week's rent is not the same as a month's rent in Thailand. Yeah, I know - go live in Dubbo for the cheap rent. Simpleton? You can't even spell the word "barely" correctly. Go troll somewhere else.  

See how easy was that? Rather than give a smart Arse response to my post like you did you actually engaged your brain to put some comparisons together. Well done! Your the spelling police now as well? Grow up !

Nothing wrong with dubbo. Far better then renting a room out in nahkon nowhere

Pub grub is not that different to the pub pricing in BKK where I live. But I would rather buy lamb chops and a nice red with a cheese platter at home in oz.. At least triple the cost here. Pensioners eat in RSL clubs which are cheap

If beer is top of your list then your a heavy drinker so it's a bonus but please don't compare Chang to Ozzie beer.. It's cheap for good reason . I only drink wine and that's 3 x the price here

I own a condo on lower Sukhumvit so don't pay rent and can spend freely so that's a bonus.. but let my tell you quality rentals say 100 sqm condos in Asoke are Expensive! and the new condo prices in BKK are off the charts on par with Sydney. The newest addition next door to nana bts, the Q condo starts at 1 million to 5 million USA DOLLARS! and it's a red light area

To summarize.. Thailand is cheaper for desperate pensioners living in a cheap fan room in Pattaya or chiang mai but if you want to maintain the same standards of living like you did back home like I do in BKK then it's not that much cheaper.

Your supposed to come live in a 3rd world country as a step up in lifestyle yet most farang take a step down but only themselves to blame for a life wasted and that is you my friend as you mentioned on another thread "you would starve to death in oz" sad [emoji16]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh come on get real.

I have  house in Thailand in Khon Kaen. I do speak Thai, and lao actually.

Walk around the mall in Khon Kaen and  see the 60 something farangs with the 20 something gals pushing around a couple of rugrats

That the problem I really do see the reality of it all!

I understand......and when i see those couples I have the same reaction as i think you do.  Those are the guys that probably don't speak Thai and just went for the easy pickins (girls looking for a "sponsor").

It really is another topic,  but FWIS  (from what i see) in person and television....the current perception of what a man should be has done little to foster what I think are healthy relationships,  Usually some female FBI  in the lead role shouting orders to her male underlings.  

The funny thing is the guys you describe think they are getting away from that form of western culture,

only to come here and in effect be lead around by some Thai princess .   Still, I reckon there are more than a few farangs  that have been successful in finding a better alternative here.  They are not usually the ones walking around in tourist areas ,  malls ,  or living in small rented condos in BKK or Chiangmai, for that matter,

35 minutes ago, rumak said:

I understand......and when i see those couples I have the same reaction as i think you do.  Those are the guys that probably don't speak Thai and just went for the easy pickins (girls looking for a "sponsor").

It'll upset many on here, but when I see those couples, I actually feel disgusted. 

I've seen guys my age with women (girls) who could be their daughters, if not granddaughters.

It's exploitation at best, and we can debate whos exploiting who.

But, I'm sorry in my eyes at least it's all just wrong

Edited by GinBoy2

10 hours ago, madmen said:

Nothing wrong with dubbo. Far better then renting a room out in nahkon nowhere

Maybe some folks want to live in Nakhon nowhere. So how is Dubbo better then?

Pub grub is not that different to the pub pricing in BKK where I live.

Those of us who chose not to live in the farang ghetto and who could care less about Pub Grub, but would rather eat Thai food, surely do better price wise then.....

Speaking only of myself, I was addicted to wine and Pub Grub, I wouldnt be here.....

If beer is top of your list then your a heavy drinker so it's a bonus but please don't compare Chang to Ozzie beer.. It's cheap for good reason . I only drink wine and that's 3 x the price here

Yet if someone would critisize your love of sour grape juice, you would get all but hurt. Who is to account for peoples tastes? I like a Beerlao myself...is that OK with your taste buds? Does it matter that in my local bar (A Thai Place, no falang except me 90% of the time) I can get a world class meal and two brews for 1/2 of what the same would cost me in the US?

I own a condo on lower Sukhumvit so don't pay rent and can spend freely so that's a bonus.. but let my tell you quality rentals say 100 sqm condos in Asoke are Expensive! and the new condo prices in BKK are off the charts on par with Sydney. The newest addition next door to nana bts, the Q condo starts at 1 million to 5 million USA DOLLARS! and it's a red light area

To summarize.. Thailand is cheaper for desperate pensioners living in a cheap fan room in Pattaya or chiang mai but if you want to maintain the same standards of living like you did back home like I do in BKK then it's not that much cheaper.

Its not the same "standard of living". Its the same cultural/social milieu that you left at home. You chose to live in the farang ghetto where prices are higher, but even so dont compare to the USA or as I understand it, OZ? You think you can get a brand new condo in NYC, in the heart of the City, for $1,000,000? And how about maintenance/condo fees. In my building here in Thonburi, its 15K...a year! At one of my places in the states, I pay 15K...a month! And forget about the brand new Q house, nice condos in Asoke rent for say 50K. Try renting an equivalent place in a major city such as London, Paris, NYC, LA, LV. You are the one who wants imported wine and a Western lifestyle so you cant compare what you pay to those of us who DONT want a Western lifestyle. If I wanted a WESTERN lifestyle, I would have gone to Florida for the winter. If I wanted a WESTERN lifestyle here, Id go buy a condo at Q House then and drink fine wines at the Hotel Bars. And I bet the condo fees are cheaper.

But why ever would I do that? Why would I come to Bangkok to recreate what I can do in the West?

When Im home, I live like a Westerner. When Im here wintering, I try to live as much as a middle class Thai as possible. And thats a hell of a lot cheaper. And a lot more fun. I can wait till April when I leave to sit at a bar and pinky point a fine 1982 Fussy Poussy and complain about how expensive wine is in Thailand.

The only thing I miss is meat...meat, meat, meat, and now that I have hit Fogo Asia, I can survive another month.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

Its not the same "standard of living". Its the same cultural/social milieu that you left at home. You chose to live in the farang ghetto where prices are higher, but even so dont compare to the USA or as I understand it, OZ? You think you can get a brand new condo in NYC, in the heart of the City, for $1,000,000? And how about maintenance/condo fees. In my building here in Thonburi, its 15K...a year! At one of my places in the states, I pay 15K...a month! And forget about the brand new Q house, nice condos in Asoke rent for say 50K. Try renting an equivalent place in a major city such as London, Paris, NYC, LA, LV. You are the one who wants imported wine and a Western lifestyle so you cant compare what you pay to those of us who DONT want a Western lifestyle. If I wanted a WESTERN lifestyle, I would have gone to Florida for the winter. If I wanted a WESTERN lifestyle here, Id go buy a condo at Q House then and drink fine wines at the Hotel Bars. And I bet the condo fees are cheaper.

But why ever would I do that? Why would I come to Bangkok to recreate what I can do in the West?

When Im home, I live like a Westerner. When Im here wintering, I try to live as much as a middle class Thai as possible. And thats a hell of a lot cheaper. And a lot more fun. I can wait till April when I leave to sit at a bar and pinky point a fine 1982 Fussy Poussy and complain about how expensive wine is in Thailand.

The only thing I miss is meat...meat, meat, meat, and now that I have hit Fogo Asia, I can survive another month.

"" Those of us who chose not to live in the farang ghetto and who could care less about Pub Grub, but would rather eat Thai food, surely do better price wise then.....

Speaking only of myself, I was addicted to wine and Pub Grub, I wouldnt be here.....""

Learning to read is pretty important when replying on a forum other wise you WILL look like a fool!

My pub grub remark was a reply to the poster that said PUB food is cheaper HERE.

Don't be lazy and read the thread and not the last page !

16 minutes ago, madmen said:

My pub grub remark was a reply to the poster that said PUB food is cheaper HERE.

Good. My last bill at Fogo Asia (excellent by the way) was 1500 baht. Last time I Fogoed in the States it was $100. Half price here. So even in your upscale area stuff is cheaper.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, Nyezhov said:

If I wanted a WESTERN lifestyle, I would have gone to Florida for the winter. If I wanted a WESTERN lifestyle here, Id go buy a condo at Q House then and drink fine wines at the Hotel Bars. And I bet the condo fees are cheaper.

I wanted a western eating style, so I learned to cook ...... problem solved.

Never liked wine much, beer is better, and the beef here is rubbish so I just don't eat it.

• Like 2

Good. My last bill at Fogo Asia (excellent by the way) was 1500 baht. Last time I Fogoed in the States it was $100. Half price here. So even in your upscale area stuff is cheaper.
That's a steak house and not a pub! If I want a steak in a PUB in bangkok lower Sukhumvit where I live and most real pubs anywhere eg Pattaya it's 450- 500 baht for a rump with chips

Same as an Ozzie pub.

Your just confusing every one.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wanted a western eating style, so I learned to cook ...... problem solved.

Never liked wine much, beer is better, and the beef here is rubbish so I just don't eat it.

You dont look down on me for liking Beerlao do you?

I get some Western food almost everyday, a nice grilled ham n egg sarnie for breakfast. Cheaper than in the West because ham and eggs are much cheaper. Bread is the same. Cheese a little spendier.

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

That's a steak house and not a pub! If I want a steak in a PUB in bangkok lower Sukhumvit where I live and most real pubs anywhere eg Pattaya it's 450- 500 baht for a rump with chips

Same as an Ozzie pub.

Your just confusing every one.

No you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Tell ya what, a Burger at Bullys with some fries and Beerlao is cheaper than in the States. 

No you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Tell ya what, a Burger at Bullys with some fries and Beerlao is cheaper than in the States. 
Have you been at bullys on the drink all day? In the farang ghetto? [emoji16]

My original post you quoted was replying to another Ozzie. Your a yank! I'm not arguing about your prices! You have crappie expensive food and a crappy Medicare system. I to would leave the USA.. It's crap. Good for you.

By the way you mentioned farang ghetto but let me tell you it takes $$$ to live on lower Sukhumvit.

Living in a Thai ghetto in a 3rd world country is scrapping the bottom of the barrel and downright embarrassing and always because of lack of finances although your to proud to admit it.

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Have you been at bullys on the drink all day? In the farang ghetto?

Actually no, I was there last week when I went to the bank.

I am going down tonight though, I need an overpriced gutter crawl

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

My original post you quoted was replying to another Ozzie. Your a yank! I'm not arguing about your prices! You have crappie expensive food and a crappy Medicare system. I to would leave the USA.. It's crap. Good for you.

Really? When was the last time you ate food in the USA? How do you know Medicare is crappy?

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

By the way you mentioned farang ghetto but let me tell you it takes $$$ to live on lower Sukhumvit

Yep. You chose to transplant yourself into your Western cultural milieu where you need to have imports and Western food, etc in a non Western country. But the bottom line for those of us who dont want or need a Western lifestyle, its a hell of a lot cheaper. You are down there because you want the West, thats the only reason...or is Soi Nana got something to do with it?

Like I said, if I wanted to be in the West for the Winter, I would have gone to Miami.

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

Living in a Thai ghetto in a 3rd world country is scrapping the bottom of the barrel and downright embarrassing and always because of lack of finances although your to proud to admit it.

OK Ill bite. How many condos or houses do you own? Not that it matters, its the internet.

OK Ill bite. How many condos or houses do you own? Not that it matters, its the internet.
You do know there is thai food on lower Sukhumvit. T21 at Asoke is outstanding thai food court and a 6 minute walk

Are we talking host country only? My Asoke condo alone is worth more than your 5 houses in Nahkon nowhere. Which by the way your still keeping a secret. Are you ashamed of where you live?

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

You do know there is thai food on lower Sukhumvit. T21 at Asoke is outstanding thai food court and a 6 minute walk 

Somehow spending 6 months eating Thai food at Terminal 21 is not my idea of life.

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Are we talking host country only? My Asoke condo alone is worth more than your 5 houses in Nahkon nowhere. Which by the way your still keeping a secret. Are you ashamed of where you live?

Ive posted where I live numerous times, near Talat Phlu BTS. I rent. in a lovely middel calsss Thai area. I dont have any houses in Nakhon "Nowhere" (where I would actually love to live).  I love where I live now. I have Thai food at Talat Phlu station, the food court at Mall at Thapra (which puts Terminal 21 to shame), the street market across from said mall, the Wongwangyai area, Charoen Krung Road, Charoen Nahkon Road, Wanglang, Thoet Thai Road, Bang Rak...I can even go to Icon Siam. When was the last time you left the ghetto? I bet you are one of those guys that sits at the Kiwi all day....

And yes, Virginia, host country only. But hey, even though its the net, I would bet my house in NC is worth 3 of your condos. If you call, would you like me to raise you two more condos? Or another house? Or my gfs Bimmer?

Like I said if I wanted to live in the West for the winter, I would have gone to Miami. Not hang out in Nana.