Thailand Still cheaper than home

jimmyyy

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

So 52 years of health care incompetence, or one completely unnecessary operation.

Let's face it, they scammed you, you would have probably still been playing tennis and running marathons.

I don't understand how was my congenital condition caused by  the healthcare establishment .

but You miss the point. Everyone is healthy until they are not, you take a big chance with your life by not having health insurance.  

So when you are comparing costs between your home country and Thailand clearly you are not comparing apples with apples.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't understand how was my congenital condition caused by  the healthcare establishment .

but You miss the point. Everyone is healthy until they are not, you take a big chance with your life by not having health insurance. 

I didn't miss the point at all.

You were never healthy, it was a birth defect.

Your regular health checkups were worthless for the 57 years they didn't notice.

As for taking chances with my life, I'm 62, one of the 'living dead', my life is already over and I'm now playing in extra time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, sirineou said:

of course housing is the biggest part of the equation, No one is taking it out of the equation, One would need housing whether in Thailand or back home. 

when I compare my living expenses between Thailand and the US I include housing in both places. Housing is less expensive in Thailand , I said that labor is less expensive in thailand and everything depending on local labor is also less expensive by that component, but then IMO the savings achieved from the less expensive housing is lost to the more expensive consumer goods , and cost of health insurance

So IMO some things cost less in the US ( can only talk about the US) other things cost less in Thailand , in the balance if you compare the same standard of living  cost  is relatively the same.

Average American - 76% live paycheck to paycheck.  I'm not rich and I could live for 10 years here with no paycheck.

Housing.  The average U.S. household spends 565,884 on all things related to housing.  I spend half that.

US Transportation 287,000.  I don't have a car.

US Taxes 245,000.  I spend a small fraction of that.

US Utilities/maintenance 231,000.  I spend 50,000.

It is not the same at all. 

Edited by marcusarelus

I didn't miss the point at all.

You were never healthy, it was a birth defect.

Your regular health checkups were worthless for the 57 years they didn't notice.

It was not a condition detectable  by routine checkups , a bicuspid heart valve is only detectable by a cardiac catheterization (they go in through an artery and look) and no cardiologist would do a cardiac catheterization without probable cause, once I developed a heart murmur  there was probable cause and they went in, they looked and saved my life; .In my situation the health establishment worked perfectly.

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It was not a condition detectable  by routine checkups , a bicuspid heart valve is only detectable by a cardiac catheterization (they go in through an artery and look) and no cardiologist would do a cardiac catheterization without probable cause, once I developed a heart murmur  there was probable cause and they went in, they looked and saved my life; .In my situation the health establishment worked perfectly.

I always have a bit of a problem with people who were never sick claiming 'they saved my life'.

Loads of completely unnecessary operations carried out in the west, and the victims always claim 'they saved my life'.

But in reality, it might have been the same scam as the garage that replaces perfectly good parts to make a bit more money.

If you had collapsed, and then they replaced a few parts, you could probably truthfully claim 'they saved my life'.

But at the moment it's equally likely they conned you.

PS.

I have a pal with the same problem as you (heart irregularity discovered in a 'routine check-up'. He also runs and cycles every day (age 53). When they suggested cutting him open for the heart inspection, he decided 'no thanks, I'll take my chances' (covered by his job insurance, no expense to him). I'll let you know if he drops dead.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Average American - 76% live paycheck to paycheck.  I'm not rich and I could live for 10 years here with no paycheck.

Housing.  The average U.S. household spends 565,884 on all things related to housing.  I spend half that.

US Utilities/maintenance 231,000.  I spend 50,000.

It is not the same at all. 

I don't mind paying taxes. I wish I paid a billion dollars in taxes because it would mean that I made 20 billion dollars.

But you all miss the point, and I don't understand why? it is a simple point.

Sure you can live for less when you have less. 

You save money not having a car, save money not having health insurance, why don't you wear a loin cloth and you can also save money on clothing.

Then Thailand would be really cheap  

If you want to really compare, you must compare apples with apples . if you want to compare watermelons with grapes, sure why not.  

• Like 2

The greed in the western world, revealed in all it's glory. I've never wanted $20Billion, I only ever wanted enough.

Enough for a decent house, a big tv, a young woman in my bed and a fast internet connection.

When I was 45 years old, I decided 'I had enough' and stopped working.

17 years later and I've never wished I had more.

I don't care about cars, big motorcycles, expensive restaurants, house by the river, I've had all that, and it never made me any happier.

Now, I'm going out for a 4 hour walk in the jungle, the sun is out, life is good.

I don't need (or want) more.

You  should set that to music, you  have a hit in Nashville 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't mind paying taxes. I wish I paid a billion dollars in taxes because it would mean that I made 20 billion dollars.

You save money not having a car, save money not having health insurance, why don't you wear a loin cloth and you can also save money on clothing.

If you want to really compare, you must compare apples with apples . if you want to compare watermelons with grapes, sure why not.  

I am comparing like things with like things

Housing.  The average U.S. household spends 565,884 on all things related to housing.  I spend half that.  I have the same size house I had in the USA and in the same location - close to the ocean but above where it floods.

I don't have a car because public transportation is close to my home and I rent a car and driver when that is not appropriate for a small fraction of the average cost of USA transportation.  Outside of a few major cities mass transport in America is non existent or bad.

I don't pay taxes in Thailand I did in the USA.   Is that difficult to understand?

US Utilities/maintenance 231,000.  I spend 50,000.  I live in the same climate in Thailand as I lived in the USA and it costs me a quarter of what I paid in America. 

I have no idea what you are talking about me not comparing like things to like things.

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Trouble is, it's not a hard mindset to understand, and pretty rampant in the TVF community.

You can make your very valid point over an over, God knows I have, but you are banging your head against a brick wall with the zealots and apologists.

Thailand isn't cheap, but we're not comparing it with Beverly Hills or Manhattan, when it really is cheap in comparison.

You can go around and around on this, and those who for whatever reason believe they live in Thailand because is sooooo cheap, will slam you every time

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I was "the Iron man" until age 57, run marathons, played tennis for hrs in the hot sun, never a sick day in my life. Then at a routine physical a heart murmur was detected, upon further diagnosis  it was discovered that I was birt with an abnormal Aortic heart valve.  Open heart surgery,  aortic valve replacement $240, 000 . Thank god I had good insurance.

that's where you went wrong, old chinese doctor said heart only got so many beats forget exercise take nap instead. lol

i have a far cheaper cost of living in thailand than nz....with freehold condo, i can actually live very well on my nz pension-alone...that includes one bar night per week with sexy ladies...

i visit other countries with thai lady,every 3 mths--this cost is extra..

i have extra funds for accident healthcare, if needed....

i even eat far healthier foods here--sure, i pay a lot more for some of the imported foods...

without the ladies and bar, my cost of living in nz would be at least double this amount.

i still own houses in nz and have substantial other income as well--its probably cheaper for me to rent a house....but my lifestyle would be nowhere as good i have in thailand...

few  stressed people in thailand makes a peaceful lifestyle....

• Like 1

I don't know about living in Bangkok.. I live in Kalasin, Isaan..  the difference in the cost of living in Australia compared to here is huge..  We own our on home here with a nice garden all up it has cost us less than a empty building block in Australia.. so we are living rent free.. our property tax is 20 Bt a year.. yes 20Bt!  Electricity, water and good internet cost about 2,000 Bt a month combined..  under $100.. food is much cheaper here... I can take the family out for a good meal at our favorite restaurant and order what we like and pay not more than 1,500 Bt for everyone.. in Oz it would be at least 4 or 5 times that.. Ferang food in the shopping centers is about the same price here as there.. I have friends living in Adelaide on the same pension as I get and they are struggling just taking care of themselves.. with rent for a small apartment costing about $270 a WEEK..  about 6,000 Bt.. very high electricity bills and expensive internet that is slower and less reliable than mine.. Health care and insurance is a sticky point..  yes.. Australia has Medicare for all.. but you join a queue ...and wait... and pay 'gap' fees that are very high.. Even private insurance isn't all that much better....very expensive.. people are opting out in droves.. and many with private insurance end up in a public hospital when something happens anyway..  Fortunately hospitals here are very cheap compared to Oz.. if you have a bit of cash stashed  you should be ok.. 

• Like 2

If you come to Thailand ready to adapt and fit in, don`t expect Western food every day or a high level of amenities, you avoid Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok, you learn some Thai language, then generally Thailand should be far cheaper than UK, Australia etc. However, if you expect the amenities that you have back home,  you stay in expat ghettos like Pattaya, you have not learned to eat Thai food or take local transport, you`ve married a bar girl with demanding relatives etc, then you`ll find Thailand does not have the financial advantages. Sad to see many of the latter Westerners keep coming here.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, madmen said:

One thing that is nearly always left out when making comparisons is health care.

Add insurance in and the bottom line changes drastically here assuming you are under 70 and can even get it

I am 58 and my health insurance as long as I don’t live in the USA is less than 10 percent of the premiums in USA. You have been gone to long. Health insurance in USA costs more than a nice car or smal house now. For a family of four the health insurance premiums every month is 2,000 USA dollars with a 6,700 USA dollar deductible. The USA health care and health insurance is the highest in the world unless you have Medicare or Medicaid. 

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Housing and young women (18-32) are much more expensive in the UK than in Thailand (about x10).

Nothing else much matters when comparing the costs.

I'm not sick, so I don't care about hospitals or insurance.

You're a smart man bm2 :   if you had not qualified the ages of "young women" I am sure some monitoring agency would be breaking down your door about now   ????

• Like 1

I'll join the chorus and also sing that my life in Thailand is far better than it would be in the US on my small pension and social security.  I could survive in America in a no-income tax state like Florida but I certainly would not be in a large, oceanfront condo; I certainly would not have weekly maid service; I certainly would not be eating at restaurants sometimes twice a day; I certainly would not try to see a doctor without an appointment;  I certainly would not be able to call an electrician or a plumber or any other service worker with no thought to the cost; I certainly would not...well, you get the picture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Trouble is, it's not a hard mindset to understand, and pretty rampant in the TVF community.

You can make your very valid point over an over, God knows I have, but you are banging your head against a brick wall with the zealots and apologists.

Thailand isn't cheap, but we're not comparing it with Beverly Hills or Manhattan, when it really is cheap in comparison.

You can go around and around on this, and those who for whatever reason believe they live in Thailand because is sooooo cheap, will slam you every time

https://www.worlddata.info/cost-of-living.php

Cost of living index USA 19. UK 18, Australia 9, Switzerland 3.  Wait for it.......Thailand 60

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

https://www.worlddata.info/cost-of-living.php

Cost of living index USA 19. UK 18, Australia 9, Switzerland 3.  Wait for it.......Thailand 60

Informative website, thanks.

But the interpretation of the data means that Thailand is 54% cheaper than the USA.

The USA is at position 19 in the list at '100'.

Those countries on the list above the USA are more expensive, those below, cheaper.

Edited by grollies
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Depends...

Yes, depends!  I understand you one word!

I go by the belief " the grass is never greener "  Depends for me if you are younger working and depending on ones personality?  Material wise it all makes sense but can a person put how they grew up, mentally does the different culture and thinking won't bother the person.  

I was told once prior to moving here " they think backwards and that is being kind "  if a person can live in a bubble and not have the culture bother you it works but if you live with 100% Thais, deal with their school system and the product that is being push out etc etc.. then it works but if I had to do it all over again I would continue to visit and never burn my bridges so I can go home.  

What I thought I was fed up in the U.S. I now really appreciate even the smallest of things I took for granted.