Saudi woman fleeing country allowed to stay in Thailand temporarily

webfact

So we have really strict rules for immigration.. except if a woman says she's in danger she get's the red carpet... What a load of rubbish. And she want's to go to a country of her choosing passing right through other safe countries. No, this is not about safety. This is about impoving one's economic life by cheating.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its time for changes.

Not money must rule the world. Human rights must rule the wprld. Everybody means country, who does not respect this should be banned from international trade.

Why this only apply to North Korea????

Because Saudi Arabia has oil. But that would mean that all these moralities are fake. As logical conclusion I would never except any criticism on my person again.

1 hour ago, AWillOz said:

So we have really strict rules for immigration.. except if a woman says she's in danger she get's the red carpet... What a load of rubbish. And she want's to go to a country of her choosing passing right through other safe countries. No, this is not about safety. This is about impoving one's economic life by cheating.

I'll grit my teeth and not respond the way I want to respond.

Cheating? Choosing a country like Australia vs Thailand or Kuwait expecting that it will protect her?  How do you look yourself in the mirror saying that?

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

She will be back in Saudi within 18 months. I am not wishing it but it always turns out like this. The Saudi family will never give up and will resort to all means certainly including use of the powerful Saudi state apparatus to get her back dead or alive.

It is entirely conceivable that the Thais will abruptly change their decision if enough dollars are waved around.

Also this young lady is 18, will miss her friends, will probably have her bank accounts frozen and income stream cut off and the Saudis will use that to pressure her home without having to use kidnapping.

Well since your not wishing it then there is no need in saying that she will be back in Saudi. Since you playing fortune-teller let me know who will win the superbowl so I can bet your house on it. 

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe there were some cases a while back where some folks who had asylum applications pending with the UN in BKK were somehow spirited out of Thailand and back to their home country, China, I think. And that provoked a big backlash from the UN and rights groups for Thailand not honoring its treaty obligations.  It certainly wouldn't have been the first time.

It was the Uighars. Apparently in that case the Thais were quite happy to send people to their deaths , hypocrites !

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

Expect a flood of similar situations to come about now that this woman has showed that immigration rules can be flaunted and circumvented by simply saying that your life is in dander true or not...

Leaving aside the fact that no immigration laws were actually flaunted or circumvented ;

Assylum regulations are in place for a good reason , to assist the persecuted , the fact that they can be abused by economic refugees does not alter that fact.

No person or nation is truly rich if they have lost sight of basic humanity.

UNHCR recognition is supposed to provide protection to anyone fleeing a country where they face serious threats to their life or freedom. “Those people should have never been arrested in the first place,” Sunai says. However, Thailand has never ratified the UN convention that recognises the status of refugees. It considers refugees and asylum seekers the same as any other migrant.

If I were her, considering this is Thailand, I'd be re-blockading the door of my new hotel room (or wherever she's now been taken to under UN care) until and unless it's for the trip to the airport and onward to Australia or wherever with my tickets and asylum permission in hand.

Thailand created its own messy situation here. I believe there were no international or actual genuine arrest warrants in place so why did they detain her? Shear political pressure from a country that just murdered one of their own citizens in their own embassy. All they needed to say to the Saudis was bring the correct paperwork and we will do something. I am sure the Saudis knew that if she got to Australia there would be no chance of getting her back. Thailand not so because it's corrupt. I think in this case a few bribes being paid got the Thai immigration into one unholy mess. 

4 hours ago, BigC said:

Deport her. Send a message asylum seekers not wanted

Plus what's to stop the family coming out here and trying to kill her and putting Thai nationals at risk 

Oh, I see, we wouldn't want that, would we?  Better the Thais just behead her and send the head to her family in Saudi Arabia.  Let's keep Thailand safe.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:59 AM, Snow Leopard said:

Thailand created its own messy situation here. I believe there were no international or actual genuine arrest warrants in place so why did they detain her? Shear political pressure from a country that just murdered one of their own citizens in their own embassy. All they needed to say to the Saudis was bring the correct paperwork and we will do something. I am sure the Saudis knew that if she got to Australia there would be no chance of getting her back. Thailand not so because it's corrupt. I think in this case a few bribes being paid got the Thai immigration into one unholy mess. 

Actually her fault; https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/mistake-fleeing-saudi-teen-rahaf-mohammed-alqunun-made-at-bangkok-airport/news-story/da757fc71288d9e7a335bf13fd705b1b

Archived