Saudi woman fleeing country allowed to stay in Thailand temporarily

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Pember said:

Honestly not sure where I stand on this one... I commend her for getting away and denouncing Islam and their barbaric laws but you open the gates to one... just saying...

She didn't intend to stay in Thailand, it was a stop-off destination for Australia, to which it seems she has a visa for.. You live in Thailand right? Maybe you should return home as this isn't your homeland

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan insisted yesterday morning that 18-year-old Rahaf Mohanned al-Qunun had to be sent back to her family despite her claims that they had abused her and would kill her when she returned. 

69.04 million Thais- and he got the job...

1 hour ago, car720 said:

There is one consideration that you are forgetting.  Fear.  I know that some folks have no fear in their life but for myself I have known fear and it is an immense motivator.

I agree with the fear..she will have a go fund me page and get tons of money from around the world.then she can get her life right.im sure great lawyers will represent for free publicity or 

Now that the father is arriving, this young girl needs to get to Australia ASAP. I noticed the interview with the Thai immigration cop, and how Thailand was the land of smiles! - I expect there will be bigger smiles for her dad when he gets here.

If the Thais had been serious, they would never have detained her in the first place, nor confiscated her passport.

What isn't clear is does this girl have  the onward ticket portion to Australia?

Sophie McNeil, ABC reporter who was in the hotel room with Rahaf said that she would very interested to hear from Minister Dutton if this is correct or not? I’ve seen Rahaf’s Australian visa which was valid - but yesterday when she was trying to log into her immigration online profile that appeared to no longer be working? Keen to hear more from the Minister.  Also in my sleep deprived state I have referred to the wrong Minister - apologies, DavidColemanMP would now be the one who knows if this is correct or not

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Expect a flood of similar situations to come about now that this woman has showed that immigration rules can be flaunted and circumvented by simply saying that your life is in dander true or not...

Unlikely, as the Arabs usually don't let their women wander around without 'protection'.

Seems that she is claiming that a Saudi official took her passport at the airport in Bangkok. How did the Saudi official get into the transit holding area to confiscate her passport without the help of the Thai authorities?  

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Expect a flood of similar situations to come about now that this woman has showed that immigration rules can be flaunted and circumvented by simply saying that your life is in dander true or not...

This is not about flaunting and circumventing the immigration laws, unless you are referring to what the Saudi Diplomat allegedly did and then that would probably come under a different law.

Remember that the airline would not have allowed the passenger onto the plane without a passport. So the passenger would have originally been in possession of a passport when the plane touched down in Bangkok and we have not heard any denials from the Aussie government regarding her claim that she had a visa for that country. So no flaunting of laws on her part. 

Instead, Thailand has decided to adopt the international rules and norms on refugee status, nothing more or less.

7 minutes ago, Trouble said:

Seems that she is claiming that a Saudi official took her passport at the airport in Bangkok. How did the Saudi official get into the transit holding area to confiscate her passport without the help of the Thai authorities?  

A diplomat has the right to go airside to meet with any transiting passenger he/she wants.

2 hours ago, car720 said:

There is one consideration that you are forgetting.  Fear.  I know that some folks have no fear in their life but for myself I have known fear and it is an immense motivator.

You are absolutely right. Fear is a powerful motivator, perhaps the most powerful. So I understand your point.

Have a read of this article. If they want them badly enough, they get them. They have numerous tools in the box.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/15/saudi-arabia-new-details-of-dissident-princes-abductions-emerge

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Wrong, for a start she has a visa to enter Australia, she can then put her case to the Australian officials, no different to sports team members, other countries diplomats etc, who also apply for asylum.

Another thing, she did not go through Thai immigration, so technically did NOT enter Thailand, without a visa, Thai immigration are full of crap.

Not only that, she does not need visa , Saudi get 30 day visa exempt stamps 

13 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

A diplomat has the right to go airside to meet with any transiting passenger he/she wants.

Since when a diplomat is allowed to enter restricted area of airport to meet a passenger ? 

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

If your a Saudi female your life is worthless, although in a recent stunning and progressive ruling a Saudi man can now legally divorce his wife by sending her a text message. 

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

'flaunted'... what is your evidence for this comment. 

No doubt you grew up in your privileged safe nanny state. Did your small brain ever think maybe she has a legitimate issue. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Prawit had seen no other option. “The case concerns only Saudi Arabia and Thailand, no third country,” he said. “We cannot send her to the third country as requested because we have no power to do that.”

The "untouchable" has spoken.

Note to Prawit: If another country has offered her asylum, you DO NOT have to SEND her, just let her complete her journey!!

And by what power of authority from your country that allows Saudi authorities to confiscate her passport in your country?

The current administration only showed the gravitas to stand up to the Saudis, after a media storm went viral, and worldwide. This was a huge loss of face, and they responded. I am glad they did. I would have to consider anyone who wanted to leave that desperate nation to be a refugee. She sounds like she has been mistreated her whole life, by foolish men, who are locked in the dark ages. Things have changed guys, so lets get with the times!

If they extradite her, she will be put to death. It is a capital crime to renounce Islam, based on Sharia law. That is how insecure, and paranoid some of these people are. A person should be free to make their own choices, and follow their own will, when it comes to faith and religion. Sharia is the most dangerous form of religion on the planet. And it must be resisted, in whatever way it can be resisted. Kudos to this woman, for taking a stand. And thankfully, the media pressure forced this weak government to do the right thing, as they would never do so on their own accord.

If she was in transit and never actually entered Thailand, I wonder if any reporter would have the balls to ask questions about airport security and just how a Saudi diplomat managed to get into the restricted airside without problems ?

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:
2 hours ago, alation said:

They cannot send her here as it seems to me that if she did get sent here she would be que jumping which is totally unfair on all those trying to live in Australia legally. Please don't get me wrong I do care about people and the need to help but because Thailand stopped her she is there responsibility and there that's where she must find asylum, trusting your in safe hands young lady. 

Rubbish !  you need to learn between genuine refugees and queue jumping economic refugees.

seems that determination is made by the oz government and not a tv poster despite the number of rhodes scholars on the forum

Archived