Good masks to filter pollution - where to buy?

bbi1

Does anyone know where to buy a good quality mask to filter pollution for daily use when walking outside and roughly the prices? I think they call it N95 standard or something, to filter out the PM2.5 pollution.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read some recent articles about the pollution and according to them there is no mask which is able to filter the air because the particles are just too small.

That might be true for the dust masks you see everyone wearing, but there are masks available that will filter particulate matter. They are not something that you would want to be wearing all day in a hot, humid environment. Try a google search for 3M particulate filters, many filter out 99.97% of the particulate matter in the air.

Apparently the real problem is PM2.5 type particles. To filter these you need a particular type of mask, labelled N95. Other types are not good enough, apparently.

Lazada have them for around 100B each, and replacement filters cost from around 40B each.

In Pattaya I would try Thai Watsudu and Fascino pharmacies as I have seen some type of face mask in both of them. I dont know if they were the N95 type though.

This is what folks need:

2056122559_2019-01-1412_41_01.jpg.7a45fe422678b8f201e75e27392eb25f.jpg

1219343161_2019-01-1412_42_26.jpg.4991fd82e6171bae856ae6638bfe8ee6.jpg

They're not fun to wear or especially comfortable, especially when it's hot... But anything less than N95 standard isn't going to keep you from breathing the gunk.

Here's some related links:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.12.1125719cYdbyzI&q=3m 8210 n95&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=3m 8210 n95_1_1

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=3m+9010+n95&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.2534367dfPCRo7

This 3M site normally sells them as well, but right now, it's either down or overloaded....

https://www.3mdelivery.com

In Chiangmai 3m N95 mask at pharmacy outside registers Hangdong Lotus. 35 bht. By3 at time, get discount. I keep big supply because during pollution season everyone rums out. Use year around on bike because of autoimmune allergy problems.

39 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Well, maybe I spoke too soon... Now I'm not sure...

In the U.S., the kind of mask you need for PM2.5 pollution is classes as N95 masks, and usually 3M Aura masks meet that.

But yours if a UK version and classed as FFP2, and I'm not clear now on just how that is capable for dealing with PM2.5...  So I take back my prior comment....until I can do a bit more checking...

Here the U.S. govt list of certified N95 masks made by 3M, and your model isn't among them... Not sure if that's because it's a UK variety, or it's not N95 compliant.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1.html

Yep, 3M Auras are very good masks and meet or exceed the N95 standard you want....  I have some purchased from the U.S. as well...  Just make sure you properly fit them on your face for a tight seal, and replace the mask after some period of wear.... Each one is only meant for a limited duration of use....

Because it's often HOT here, I also do try to find models of those kinds of masks that have the built-in so-called exhalation valve in the front, which may make them a bit more comfortable to wear. But those variety also tend to be more expensive....  And the exhale valve doesn't change or improve their filtering capacity...just make them a bit more comfortable, perhaps.

As I said use them for dust prevention in the UK , didn't really know if the particles here would be filtered, I just go into the stores at work and take as many as I want!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read some recent articles about the pollution and according to them there is no mask which is able to filter the air because the particles are just too small.

Certainly true when talking about paper or non filtered masks . To have fume / smoke protection will need a cassette filter mounted on a sealed to face respirator mask and then there is a limited exposure  time  depending on the level of pollution . Most of the masks that we see being worn here are not giving much protection as they have gaps mostly to the cheek sides .

32 minutes ago, roo860 said:

As I said use them for dust prevention in the UK , didn't really know if the particles here would be filtered, I just go into the stores at work and take as many as I want!

So a bit more... it does seem to be a question of different standards and classifications between the U.S. and EU/UK...  But the following document from 3M appears to say that the UK FFP2 standard masks are close to the U.S. N95 standard...    The N95 standard is supposed to filter out 95% of particles, and the FFP2 masks are rated for 94% of particles.

The US N95 standard is roughly equivalent to FFP2 or 3 as it is efficient up to 10 x the local occupational exposure limit (see Table below).

1993932647_2019-01-1416_54_26.jpg.62d0838066c0625cc9c5572b893294b5.jpg

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1313143O/respirators-for-protection-agains.pdf

23 minutes ago, superal said:

Certainly true when talking about paper or non filtered masks . To have fume / smoke protection will need a cassette filter mounted on a sealed to face respirator mask and then there is a limited exposure  time  depending on the level of pollution . Most of the masks that we see being worn here are not giving much protection as they have gaps mostly to the cheek sides .

It's true the cheap drugstore and hospital type paper masks often seen here are totally NOT effective against PM2.5...

It's also true that certified N95 masks made by 3M, among others, or FFP2 masks using the EU/UK certification ARE effective in blocking out PM2.5...

You don't need to have a cassette filter on the front of the mask for it to be effective. You just need the proper kind of mask...

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's true the cheap drugstore and hospital type paper masks often seen here are totally NOT effective against PM2.5...

Why do Thai people even wear those type of masks? Is it because they don't want to catch disease from other people with cold/flu or because they have a cold/flu and don't want to make others sick?

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Google you may have heard of it.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Why do Thai people even wear those type of masks? Is it because they don't want to catch disease from other people with cold/flu or because they have a cold/flu and don't want to make others sick?

Sometimes with the ladies, it's just to cover their latest nose or lip or chin job...

But seriously, I think many times, the average Thai folks actually think those masks will do anything about air pollution. Sadly, they're ignorant, uneducated about that -- like so many other things.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

The 3M site works but I can't figure out how to switch it to the English version. Or is there no option to switch it to English?

I don't remember them having an EN version for that particular site. But when I used it, it wasn't too hard to navigate even in the TH version.

In July I brought a free purpleair.com particle sensor to place on Sukumvit and spent much of my free time for a week trying to find a host site to give it to.  I don't speak Thai but everyone was suspicious of a free gift.  It does require wifi and power.   It transmits date to the World purple air map.    My buddy is the maker of these.   I knew they would be a big hit.  I don't receive and compensation.  I just wanted to be able to monitor BKK air.   As I don't trust government monitors.  My buddy sales have blood need after the California wild fires and a NYTimes article.    I have one and I use the map to decide if I should go fir bike rides.   We get inversion in Salt lake City.  I won't ride if numbers over 75-80.  I can believe the high numbers currently in BKK.  Those are seriously dangerous numbers like 190.   OMG.  

I bought some N95 masks last year at the local Global home store.

There was no urgent reason at the time and also now we don't have that smog except the fallout from sugar cane burning. So they sit in the cabinet.

I read that the N95 masks are out of stock at some of the affected areas.

Archived