Good masks to filter pollution - where to buy?

bbi1

17 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I bought some N95 masks last year at the local Global home store.

There was no urgent reason at the time and also now we don't have that smog except the fallout from sugar cane burning. So they sit in the cabinet.

I read that the N95 masks are out of stock at some of the affected areas.

It's not like they're milk and going to expire after an early date.

Once you buy them, they come in sealed packages and can sit at home safely until the need arises for using them.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

In July I brought a free purpleair.com particle sensor to place on Sukumvit and spent much of my free time for a week trying to find a host site to give it to.  I don't speak Thai but everyone was suspicious of a free gift.  It does require wifi and power.   It transmits date to the World purple air map.    My buddy is the maker of these.   I knew they would be a big hit.  I don't receive and compensation.  I just wanted to be able to monitor BKK air.   As I don't trust government monitors.  My buddy sales have blood need after the California wild fires and a NYTimes article.    I have one and I use the map to decide if I should go fir bike rides.   We get inversion in Salt lake City.  I won't ride if numbers over 75-80.  I can believe the high numbers currently in BKK.  Those are seriously dangerous numbers like 190.   OMG.  

PurpleAir is a new one on me... But in checking, it looks like right now, for example, they have no sensors at all showing data for Bangkok.

https://www.purpleair.com/map?q=bangkok#12.31/13.74254/100.52592

goto a location by using the format "some_location.purpleair.com" where "some_location" is a place name with underscores instead of spaces - for example salt_lake.purpleair.com.

https://www.purpleair.com/

Lots in California,though...

818583870_2019-01-1421_09_58.jpg.ca6b39c73dfddd66b4a962d4d9945537.jpg

But none showing on their online map for Thailand at all....

845082703_2019-01-1421_12_24.jpg.35a5380bf520df27c4b07dad440d6585.jpg

https://www.purpleair.com/map?#4/15.71/98.49

Looks like they sell their networked PM2.5 sensors for $230 or so, a bit cheaper than the VisualAir sensors that run $269 or so.

Speaking personally, I'm fine with my non-networked $50 PM2.5 sensor that just tells me the readings inside my home, but doesn't broadcast them to the whole world!

Hi! N95 masks are available at select 7-Eleven stores for 35 thb. Look for the brand name "3M" in the slim paper box.

N95 refers to the filtration ability - 95 percent of pollutants will be filtered out. You can use the mask a few times too.

The reason for not being able to use the filter masks for hospital or being sick is that they don't seal around your face. Therefore, pollution can seep into the mask. So that's why you shouldn't use a hospital mask.

3 hours ago, TeacherKenAyutthaya said:

Hi! N95 masks are available at select 7-Eleven stores for 35 thb. Look for the brand name "3M" in the slim paper box.

For only 35 baht are those type of masks good enough? When you say you can use them a few times, how many times roughly? Aren't masks meant to last for at least a month of use?

I'm a welder 31 years. Knowing filter ratings I can directly tell you that those masks that would protect you. Will be hard to breathe through.  Meaning the filters are effective but you will be sweating using them in Thailand. Start with searching on what size of microns is harmful. Then go check mask classification. Buy one and test. But they are costly. Those in 7even and not for that.

3 hours ago, TeacherKenAyutthaya said:

N95 refers to the filtration ability - 95 percent of pollutants will be filtered out. You can use the mask a few times too.

The reason for not being able to use the filter masks for hospital or being sick is that they don't seal around your face. Therefore, pollution can seep into the mask. So that's why you shouldn't use a hospital mask.

95% of pollutants that the mask is able to filter. 0% of the stuff he wants to keep out. Its important to understand the sales gimmick 

18 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

For only 35 baht are those type of masks good enough? When you say you can use them a few times, how many times roughly? Aren't masks meant to last for at least a month of use?

The "length of time to wear" question is an interesting one... And I spent some time looking around to try to find an answer on that... And the answer is...it really depends on one's particular use --  5 mins a day, 5 hours a day, 12 hours a day, etc etc...

In general, from what I read, it's certainly OK to use a mask more than once. It's probably OK to use a particular mask for a week or so... provided you don't get it dirty or sweat/grungy, and keep it in it's protective sleeve when not using.

The overall advice I saw... was that it's OK to wear until you notice your breathing thru the mask begins to become more difficult... But for me...the minute I put those masks on, my breathing thru it is more difficult... So I'm not sure how helpful that guidance is in my case!!!!

9 minutes ago, sead said:

95% of pollutants that the mask is able to filter. 0% of the stuff he wants to keep out. Its important to understand the sales gimmick 

Are you saying that N95 masks are not good enough to effectively filter out the pollution?

15 minutes ago, sead said:

The N95 certification refers to being able to filter 95% of particles down to a very small size, smaller than the PM2.5 stuff that we're talking about in the smog here...  So provided a person wears such a mask with the proper, air-tight seal around the edges of the mask against their face and nose, it should do the job!

BTW, here's a good 3M document on the different types of masks and some illustrations of some of their different models:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1313143O/respirators-for-protection-agains.pdf

This 3M brochure (starting on page 4) has a good summary along with photos of various of their N95 mask models, and how different ones have different features.... A good guide for shopping, and comparing different models.

3M Summary on Various N95 Mask Models.pdf

It certainly can be a bit confusing with all their different 8000 and 9000 series model numbers, and not really any clear, obvious distinctions in the way individual model numbers are assigned.

Here's some of the popular non exhale valve models:

457850029_2019-01-1516_08_59.jpg.a0105e7856c0a9b4455411586cc7edab.jpg

And here's some of the popular valve exhale models:

350442975_2019-01-1516_08_38.jpg.2b55ae773293f21075cf23632918f7ca.jpg

What i the cost and where to buy a indoor air purifier for say a 1 bdrm apartment?

Yes I was trying to bring the first purple air unit to BKK.  There was one near CM at the time.   I hauled it there and back.  You can chose if you want a purple air sensor to show up on the map or not.  And you can place the sensor a block away on the map if you want.  There are growing numbers in Asia but apparently Thailand is just learning about PM 2.5.   we are currently in an inversion in Salt lake City.  My monitor I near 105.  I won't go biking or exercise outside over 75 do to see 195 in BKK is crazy.  

6 minutes ago, Elkski said:

What i the cost and where to buy a indoor air purifier for say a 1 bdrm apartment?

fyi, I got an email from PowerBuy today advertising they're having a sale on air purifiers between now and the 17th as follows... I assume these prices apply online and via their stores, but sometimes they're messy about that.

Not recommending any of these units... Not familiar with most of them.... But you want

--a HEPA unit, which means capable of filtering down to 0.3 microns,

--you want to make sure any unit you buy has a clear and identifiable source of replacement filters,

--and you want to make sure the sizing of the unit (in terms of cubic feet of coverage) is appropriate for the space you have.

1798183883_2019-01-1519_16_38.jpg.5339677b58dfcce37810d3145848b0ae.jpg

198121302_2019-01-1519_16_19.jpg.60535682b92a2eae48ab1a0b64437b02.jpg

FWIW, a lot of the air purifier units here are crazily overpriced compared to what you'd pay in the U.S. for units of comparable size and capability... But then, this Thailand, and this kind of stuff here often is overpriced compared to the 1st world.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's true the cheap drugstore and hospital type paper masks often seen here are totally NOT effective against PM2.5...

It's also true that certified N95 masks made by 3M, among others, or FFP2 masks using the EU/UK certification ARE effective in blocking out PM2.5...

You don't need to have a cassette filter on the front of the mask for it to be effective. You just need the proper kind of mask...

The N95 mask is not giving protection against the diesel fume pollution which is prevalent in Bangkok . Fume protection is by way of a sealed close fitting cartridge mask normally under the HEPA range 

( high efficiency ) . The N95 offers no protection against oil based traffic pollution . For anyone reading this and wearing the N95 , have a look at the inside of the mask after you have been wearing it for a while . It is probably  dirty as is normal with this type because of the non sealing aspect . The N95 is used against dust and fiber such as insulation materials . I have a similar background to SEAD post number 35 and I worked in the petro/chem industry where fume protection was important to such a degree that some personnel were unable to achieve a facial seal with masks and were taken out of certain tasks .

5 hours ago, superal said:

The N95 mask is not giving protection against the diesel fume pollution which is prevalent in Bangkok . Fume protection is by way of a sealed close fitting cartridge mask normally under the HEPA range 

( high efficiency ) . The N95 offers no protection against oil based traffic pollution . For anyone reading this and wearing the N95 , have a look at the inside of the mask after you have been wearing it for a while . It is probably  dirty as is normal with this type because of the non sealing aspect . The N95 is used against dust and fiber such as insulation materials . I have a similar background to SEAD post number 35 and I worked in the petro/chem industry where fume protection was important to such a degree that some personnel were unable to achieve a facial seal with masks and were taken out of certain tasks .

I won't argue/disagree with what you're saying... except that PM2.5 particle pollution is the MAIN and most serious health problem of air pollution here in Thailand, and the N95 masks ARE effective at stopping PM2.5.

And obviously to be effective, ANY mask needs to be worn in a manner that provides an effective, air tight seal between the face and the mask. If you're not doing that, then it really doesn't matter what kind of mask is being worn.  But in my experience, it's not hard to get a tight fit with the 3M masks, provided you fit them properly and don't have facial hair that gets in the way.

I'm pretty sure I saw them in Home Pro or whatever that hardware store is on the 2nd floor next to Big C extra on Klang.  They have several different kinds so make sure you get the right kind.  If it looks like those surgical masks you see everyone wearing that's not the right kind.  The pictures posted in this thread are what you are looking for.  More of a hard shell that fits snugly around your face.  Some have a valve on the front.  There is a picture further up.  I never saw them in any 7-11 or pharmacy. 

It's true that the N95 masks won't help with fumes but they will with PM2.5 and that is at least half the problem.   It's not practical to try protect yourself from fumes other than staying indoors where there is filtered air con and away from busy traffic areas.   Unless you want to walk around wearing a full on respirator type mask in Thailand heat with everyone staring at you like you are some freak.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, lapd said:

I'm pretty sure I saw them in Home Pro or whatever that hardware store is on the 2nd floor next to Big C extra on Klang.  They have several different kinds so make sure you get the right kind.  If it looks like those surgical masks you see everyone wearing that's not the right kind.  The pictures posted in this thread are what you are looking for.  More of a hard shell that fits snugly around your face.  Some have a valve on the front.  There is a picture further up.  I never saw them in any 7-11 or pharmacy. 

Checked out that Homepro. The ones available aren't the correct N95 masks. They are out of stock for the N95 masks and the lady said it will be at least a month before they get more stock. Also walked into about 20 pharmacies but none of them have it. They mostly all said you can't find it at any pharmacy.

Archived