Stop tearing families apart based on earnings! Scrap minimum income requirement

7 hours ago, luckyluke said:

What's an average net result of 18600 ???? gross income? 

I ask because 40000 ThB has suppose to be net here in Thailand. 

Tricky question as there are various tax reliefs you can claim but assuming your only income was the 18,600 GBP & you had no additional reliefs then your take home would be 16,186 GBP (approx 670,000 THB) or 1,349 GBP (approx 56,100 THB) per month... 

From https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/ "Over the year you'll pay £1,218 income tax and£1,196 in National Insurance." (NI will go towards your State Pension when you hit 67).

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It doesn't have to be 'net'.... it just has to be transferred from overseas every month - what you do with it after that (including transferring it out/back) is up yo you.

It is Net Income as you would be transferring it after paying any Tax/Deductions, obviously once in Thailand it's your's to do with as you see fit (including transferring it back to the UK to send again the next month when it would be the original Net Income - charges, you obviously don't pay Tax on it again - Yet!!!)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike Teavee said:

It is Net Income as you would be transferring it after paying any Tax/Deductions, obviously once in Thailand it's your's to do with as you see fit (including transferring it back to the UK to send again the next month when it would be the original Net Income - charges, you obviously don't pay Tax on it again - Yet!!!)

Fair point Mike - in most cases.

Most of my income is not taxed at source so I am arguably bringing in gross income (I am not because I only transfer to Thailand what I need for cash flow). If I was tight on the criteria I could recycle it.

11 hours ago, darren1971 said:

Rasg in one statement is saying people on less than 18.6k cant afford to meet and bring Thai wifes here and then he's saying he is on less than 18.6k but still lives here with his wife.... and then on other forums he's asking how to add her wages to his ILR because he doesn't meet the requirement on his own. By his own admission, he can't afford to live here with his wife

My wife is not on ILR and I wasn't specifically asking about my wife. Just remember you probably wouldn’t have got that first visa for your then girlfriend without my help. I spent a long time helping you on that, rewriting your sponsor letter that started as a total mess. You also upset many of the good people on this forum and elsewhere after asking for their help for your next visa and then telling them they were wrong.

14 hours ago, rasg said:

We will simply have to agree to disagree. Simples.

Its not a question of agreeing, you fail to take account of the facts. That facts are that the current system where applicants are required to have a minimum income disregards the fact that, as has been pointed out many times, people have different levels of affordability. Nobody on £18,600 will be living a life of luxury but there could be huge differences in disposable income depending on outgoings.  The old system, whilst not perfect, did at least require an applicant to demonstrate that they could afford to support their partner.

How can you say £18,600 is about right? If someone is earning £25,000 but paying out £24,000, they clearly cannot afford to support anyone but someone on £18,000 may only have outgoings of £10,000.  If a financial test is going to be applied, it should be based on disposable income/affordability.

And before you state that outgoings of £10,000 are unrealistic, I've never added up my outgoings recently but my fixed costs are less than that and I doubt I'm alone. I spend more than that, way more than that but not on basic living costs.

I think this thread had outdone its usefulness, so I’m going to close it, and remove some of the spats.
If there are any movements in respect of income requirements, we can start a new topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived