What organisation helping in thailand paying hospital bill , when the not have health insurance ?

Sandman77

None.

And not a lot of sympathy here for people with enough money to vacation abroad who did not bother to get travel insurance.  

A number of tourists have started "gofundme" appeals in this situation with some success though.

I am stunned by this topic. To think that you can go anywhere in the world without medical insurance and then sponge off organisations such as NGOs is the height of arrogance & stupidity. You come from a first world country and think you can act like a leech in a developing country! Get real, grow up and take responsibility for yourself.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

None.

And not a lot of sympathy here for people with enough money to vacation abroad who did not bother to get travel insurance.  

A number of tourists have started "gofundme" appeals in this situation with some success though.

But he's got a I-Phone!

21 minutes ago, brommers said:

To think that you can go anywhere in the world without medical insurance and then sponge off organisations such as NGOs is the height of arrogance & stupidity.

I think he has a valid point, after all as taxpayer you have been sponsoring those ngo's exorbitant lifestyles for years already. Time they give something back

image.png.f86cc891a23ef5a996fbbdb07a5e31b5.png

57 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I think he has a valid point, after all as taxpayer you have been sponsoring those ngo's exorbitant lifestyles for years already. Time they give something back

Of course you know that most of this picture is just disinformation... 

Of course you know that most of this picture is just disinformation... 

And that the "N" in ngo is "non" as in nongovernmental.

Tax payets do not subsidize them...at least not unless they choose to make a voluntary contribution to them.

There are all kinds of NGOs. Many do really fine work. Which does not include financing health care of tourists who travel abroad without proper insurance.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, brommers said:

I am stunned by this topic. To think that you can go anywhere in the world without medical insurance and then sponge off organisations such as NGOs is the height of arrogance & stupidity. You come from a first world country and think you can act like a leech in a developing country! Get real, grow up and take responsibility for yourself.

How about insurance companies taking responsibility for themselves and giving people a decent deal, they want to charge extortionate fees, then up the costs of premiums when you get older, or stopping your'e insurance altogether after you paying them for years and not making any claims, then try every trick in the book not to pay out when you do make any claims.

1 hour ago, digitalnobhead said:

Enough money to visit Thailand, to rent a motorbike and do something stupid?

The organisation is the family. Failing that you can try mugging the general public on gofundme.

As someone else said sell the iPhone and go home. 

Another member of the "if you don't like it go home" brigade.

2 hours ago, brommers said:

Oh I don't know, most of these NGO's do a good job of sponging off everyone else anyway along with keeping a few Paedo's tucked under the blankets for a rainy day.

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Paying taxes and donating to a non-governmental agency (NGO) aren't quite the same thing. 

With the possible exception of UNICEF, I doubt any of the organizations you've listed operate in Thailand. The claims in that picture seem to stretch credulity anyway. 

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Do you believe this is true?  Because in 30 seconds I was able to find out that it's fake.

Just now, ricklev said:

Do you believe this is true?  Because in 30 seconds I was able to find out that it's fake.

Yes I know these facts are denied by unicef, hmm didn't Prawit also deny the facts about his watches?

They say that she earns ONLY $569,378  ????

Yes, get medical insurance when traveling. It's only $1,000 a month. Of course you have to pay all hospital costs out of pocket and then maybe they will pay some of it back. But not until you have spent another $50,000 on a lawyer and waited years while the insurers look for every loophole to dodge payment. Those pre-existing conditions will get you every time.

2 hours ago, ricklev said:

It is massively untrue.

I am quite familiar with NGO and UN pay scales and budgets (UNICEF is an International Organization, not an NGO).  Nothing remotely like what is claimed there.

Typically anywhere from 10 - 25% of an NGO's total budget goes for administrative costs (salaries, offices, office supplies and equipment and the like) with the remainder going to direct program implementation. When finds are received from governments it is grants for very, very specific programs, not discretionary funding, and they are held to delivery of specific services and results. Some donors refuse to even pay for administrative costs (which is a real problem as it is nto possible for the organization to function without them). Those that do, limit the percentage for it and require detailed audits to support these costs. They also conduct financial audits and impact evaluations of the projects they fund. And it is nto at all unusual for funding to be cut off, or not renewed, if evaluation results are not favorable. Negatiev audit findinhgs result in disallowed expenses (which the NGO has to eat the costs of) and if serious can also lead to cessation of funding. Seen it happen many times.

While it might seem like an organization that spends only 10% on administrative costs is a better one than those that spend ssy 20-25% this is in fact not true. They tend to be less professional and to have less rigorously designed and monitored programs and less qualified/experienced staff.  As among the things that :administrative costs" pay for are recruitment staff salaries, internal evaluations, and monitoring of field activity by headquarter professionals.

I have worked for NGOs both as field staff,  middle management at field level, and senior management at HQ level. I have also worked for donor agencies so I know quite a bot about the ins and outs of getting a government grant for an NGO program. They are competitively awarded and hard to obtain, and usually closely monitored.

But let us revert to the  topic t hand. Which was whether or not there are NGOs in Thailand that would pay health care costs for tourists.

As has been said - Absolutely, positively no and then some.

NGOs in Thailand do things like: work with stateless people, providing material assistance and advocating for their rights; work with HIV+ people particularly in terms of trying to combat social stigma; assist battered women and abused children; try to combat human trafficking in its various forms; assist handicapped people and advocate for their rights to participate fully in society. they operate shelters for battered women. Many also work on environmental issues.

None assist tourists, these are not an underprivileged group.

Tourists are responsible for ensuring they have proper travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies that might arise.  There has been talk on and off of the government introducing some sort of compulsory system since there have been repeated instances if tourists failing to do this.

Assuming OP knows some tourists who are uninsured and having trouble paying their medical bills, he should tell them to (1) examine the wording of their home country insurance (if they have it), some -- but not all - will include emergency care during short trips abroad. (2) check whether their credit card company provides any sort of automatic cover for trips taken with the CC used to pay the airfare - some do.  (3) transfer at once from private hospital to a government one. They will still have to pay but it will cost less. (4) return to their hoem country as soon as they can safely fly.

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is massively untrue.

I am quite familiar with NGO and UN pay scales and budgets (UNICEF is an International Organization, not an NGO).  Nothing remotely like what is claimed there.

Typically anywhere from 10 - 25% of an NGO's total budget goes for administrative costs (salaries, offices, office supplies and equipment and the like) with the remainder going to direct program implementation. When finds are received from governments it is grants for very, very specific programs, not discretionary funding, and they are held to delivery of specific services and results. Some donors refuse to even pay for administrative costs (which is a real problem as it is nto possible for the organization to function without them). Those that do, limit the percentage for it and require detailed audits to support these costs. They also conduct financial audits and impact evaluations of the projects they fund. And it is nto at all unusual for funding to be cut off, or not renewed, if evaluation results are not favorable. Negatiev audit findinhgs result in disallowed expenses (which the NGO has to eat the costs of) and if serious can also lead to cessation of funding. Seen it happen many times.

While it might seem like an organization that spends only 10% on administrative costs is a better one than those that spend ssy 20-25% this is in fact not true. They tend to be less professional and to have less rigorously designed and monitored programs and less qualified/experienced staff.  As among the things that :administrative costs" pay for are recruitment staff salaries, internal evaluations, and monitoring of field activity by headquarter professionals.

I have worked for NGOs both as field staff,  middle management at field level, and senior management at HQ level. I have also worked for donor agencies so I know quite a bot about the ins and outs of getting a government grant for an NGO program. They are competitively awarded and hard to obtain, and usually closely monitored.

But let us revert to the  topic t hand. Which was whether or not there are NGOs in Thailand that would pay health care costs for tourists.

As has been said - Absolutely, positively no and then some.

NGOs in Thailand do things like: work with stateless people, providing material assistance and advocating for their rights; work with HIV+ people particularly in terms of trying to combat social stigma; assist battered women and abused children; try to combat human trafficking in its various forms; assist handicapped people and advocate for their rights to participate fully in society. they operate shelters for battered women. Many also work on environmental issues.

None assist tourists, these are not an underprivileged group.

Tourists are responsible for ensuring they have proper travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies that might arise.  There has been talk on and off of the government introducing some sort of compulsory system since there have been repeated instances if tourists failing to do this.

Assuming OP knows some tourists who are uninsured and having trouble paying their medical bills, he should tell them to (1) examine the wording of their home country insurance (if they have it), some -- but not all - will include emergency care during short trips abroad. (2) check whether their credit card company provides any sort of automatic cover for trips taken with the CC used to pay the airfare - some do.  (3) transfer at once from private hospital to a government one. They will still have to pay but it will cost less. (4) return to their hoem country as soon as they can safely fly.

I volunteered in the Philippines after Cyclone Haiyan and whilst what Sheryl says is largely true, I did become very sick there. MSF, kindly treated me. I joined the queue just like everyone else. Medical facilities had been devastated in Tacloban.

I had insurance of course, however, in a place where facilities did not exist, I requested help from this NGO - it was not even questioned.

Because of my first hand experience, I have made several modest contributions to "Doctors without Borders" and as my finances dictate, I will support them more, during my lifetime. Seeing first hand their selfless contribution, the hard work, the tears and the sheer joy of their occasional medical success, humbled me immensely.

I evacuated myself to BKK on the first available flight and was found to have Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever, blood coming out of my ears, nose, and even my gums, plus burst blood vessels under my skin... It is a debilitating disease to say the least.

Posting "fake news" about NGO's is totally irresponsible, those amongst us who do not research thoroughly, may be inclined to believe this nonsense and propagate it, causing significant harm  to many OUTSTANDING NGO's.

PLEASE PLEASE consider what you are doing before posting erroneous content.

1 hour ago, jobsworth said:

a big thank you to all of you who are bashing ngo's.

it is being done so diplomatically.

anybody daring to express the whole truth would be banned.

who do you think is financing this forum?

It's easy to blast volenteerism from a barstool.

Archived