Artificial intelligence to run traffic lights at all Bangkok intersections

webfact

Artificial intelligence to run traffic lights at all Bangkok intersections

By The Nation

bca79d08d9c48262837aed2f6db98e33.jpg

FILE photo

Artificial intelligence will be operating the traffic lights at all 505 intersection in Bangkok “soon”, rather than police officers manually working the switches, according to a senior policeman.

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanon, deputy commander of the Police Bureau’s Traffic Police Division, said AI was already on the job around the clock at 59 intersections, figuring out how to lessen or increase motorists’ waiting times in every direction depending on the traffic flow.

He said police would work with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to introduce the system at all intersections soon.

Kitti said traffic police had actively responded to motorists’ complaints about the night-time waiting times being too long at 50 intersections and had reduced the times by 15 per cent.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30362348

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-16

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Artificial intelligence will be operating the traffic lights at all 505 intersection in Bangkok “soon”

They're apparently catching up now.

Over thirty years ago where I lived in the UK it was running like that - computer controlled, with manual override if necessary, all from one control centre using CCTV.

Ah, but they probably need to 'invent it' for themselves here first.

15 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Intelligence has never been part of the traffic system. I am not sure Thailand is prepared for it

Intelligence has never been part of the traffic system............or of the BIB for that matter!

10 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Wow, this is really impressive.

The BIB are now embracing 1980s technology!

Well I hope it's not a repeat of the event some 20(?) years ago when all traffic lights were linked at massive expense into a master computer system which switched the lights automatically.

Day 1, soon after the system was turned on there was a jam somewhere so the top cop involved order the whole new system to be turned off and back to manual switching at most intersections. It was never used again.

So AI, if it doesn't work perfectly on day 1, will it just be abandoned? 

I used to play the NYC late night game as to how many signals I could make without getting caught by a red. Sometimes, depending on speed, 30 blocks.

There was a sci fi short story I once read about a guy who figured out the traffic lights and never caught a red

49 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I thought they had tried this in the past and it did not work,

as the Police were not happy as it was taking over from them.

regards Worgeordie

It will give them more free time so they can go extort baht from more citizens/foreigners ????

1 hour ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Wow, this is really impressive.

The BIB are now embracing 1980s technology!

You think they will put sensors in the road and build smart systems which can adapt to the traffic flow and time of the day? That will be the next step i think, first they just program them with a timeclock...

Poor policemen who will end up outside in the heat writing tickets and getting shot at....

15 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

So what will the police who sit in the traffic box's playing with the traffic do now?

Buy an electric train set to play with or go and do some work  :whistling:

Maybe they can assist the guy who has to close the railway crossing booms manually at Vibhawadee Rd.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I thought they had tried this in the past and it did not work,

as the Police were not happy as it was taking over from them.

regards Worgeordie

Yep. The police sabotaged the system. Police prestige is based on the number of subordinates. Automated traffic management means less traffic police.

It will work fine till some cop comes along and decides he can do better and turns the lights he is near onto manual.

On a side note, does the programming include special consideration for motorcades? I can imagine some wannabe  VIP (think Mr "Do you know who my father is") getting stuck in traffic and raising merry hell.

4 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

It will work fine till some cop comes along and decides he can do better and turns the lights he is near onto manual.

On a side note, does the programming include special consideration for motorcades? I can imagine some wannabe  VIP (think Mr "Do you know who my father is") getting stuck in traffic and raising merry hell.

Yes, there will be a 'HiSo' button on the control centre panel to allow for this.

The pads in the road are old technology, I expect video analysis servers connected to the DSS/CCTV system to detect congestion at junctions and alter the green light times accordingly. It is increasingly being installed to detect congestion on railway station platforms and concourses for example.  

It will take a bit of programming, but if it works, I would hope to see it spread to Chiang Mai where I seem to spend half my life when driving waiting at red lights, wishing for underpasses and flyovers.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Seems they're talking of having traffic lights work together to allow better traffic flow......no AI involved because that would fail badly here....as does anything involving intelligence !

In our area there's huge congestion from cars parked on the roads, don't dare to think that they'll start towing them away or fining them! That's not a thai way of solving problems, they dose the cars with the stoplight switch manually, every day again for many hours.

Archived