Renewing UK passport

somo

I have to renew my passport soon and apparently I have to have proof of my address here in English.

I have a yellow tabien ban book, a thai driving licence but both are in Thai. My Bangkok Bank acc has no address associated with it.

All bills are in my wifes name.

Any ideas out there on a way around this seemingly impossible request?

The have accepted a driver's license and a yellow book if you have them translated to Thai. They will accept about anything you provide from posts about in other topics I have seen.

Even an extension of stay stamp that is in your old passport can prove you are residing here. That is what they primarily want to confirm you did travel to here to apply for the passport.

40 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

do what i did ,fly over and get one there , far easier than the crap you have to go through these days to get one at Trendy

Its very easy to apply for a PP at Trendy .

You fill out the same application form in the UK as you do in Thailand and the only difference is that you either hand that form into the UK office or the  BKK office

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its very easy to apply for a PP at Trendy .

You fill out the same application form in the UK as you do in Thailand and the only difference is that you either hand that form into the UK office or the  BKK office

Is it not 2 trips to Trendy ?   or do they post the passport back via EMS these days.

The have accepted a driver's license and a yellow book if you have them translated to Thai. They will accept about anything you provide from posts about in other topics I have seen.
Even an extension of stay stamp that is in your old passport can prove you are residing here. That is what they primarily want to confirm you did travel to here to apply for the passport.
A 90-day report slip also works.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I am renewing my UK passport soon and am having the same issue as the OP. What document to use to prove my address. I have a Thai driving Licence but the address is in Thai.  If i get it translated is there any requirements on the form of the translation or who can do it (only a qualified lawyer etc). My bank Krungsri don't seen to provide a bank statement with my address on. What have other TV members used?

Also on the question of the photos required. As my appearance hasn't really changed from 56 - 66 do i need to get them certified on the back? The guidance seems to indicate that if my appearance hasn't changed much i don't need a certification.

I have my appointment booked at Trendy for next month. Any other issues i might face?

19 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I am renewing my UK passport soon and am having the same issue as the OP. What document to use to prove my address. I have a Thai driving Licence but the address is in Thai.  If i get it translated is there any requirements on the form of the translation or who can do it (only a qualified lawyer etc). My bank Krungsri don't seen to provide a bank statement with my address on. What have other TV members used?

Also on the question of the photos required. As my appearance hasn't really changed from 56 - 66 do i need to get them certified on the back? The guidance seems to indicate that if my appearance hasn't changed much i don't need a certification.

I have my appointment booked at Trendy for next month. Any other issues i might face?

-

I used an envelope addressed to me and sent from the Brtish embassy.

If the new photos are not directly comparable with the one in the current passport they need a countersignature

39 minutes ago, KarlS said:

-

I used an envelope addressed to me and sent from the Brtish embassy.

If the new photos are not directly comparable with the one in the current passport they need a countersignature 

Thanks Karl. Can i just ask what "directly comparable" means. My appearance aged 56 to 66 is pretty much the same, but 10 years older.

18 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Thanks Karl. Can i just ask what "directly comparable" means. My appearance aged 56 to 66 is pretty much the same, but 10 years older.

Put the two photos alongside each other -  If you think they're the same then OK but be aware that if HMPO disagrees there will be a significant delay in issuing a new passport as they will demand new countersigned photos. 

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Thanks again Karl. Can i ask all others who have done passport renewals at Trendy, did you all get your photos countersigned?

Yes and no.....

I had 2 sets with me and expected whoever took the application to say something if they thought the picture was not similar. My mistake as basically they just check all the paperwork is there and offered no opinion either way. 

I was lucky and got away with the non countersigned version but still don't know why I took the risk as personally I think I look older so similar but not same same.......

For address I had several items but can't remember which I used- HMRC letter and offshore bank letter.

This was 2 months ago.

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no need to get your photos certified unless you look radically different. You can use a 90 day report slip as proof of address.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Does a 90-day report slip detail an address in English(or Thai)?  Mine does not. 

7 hours ago, KarlS said:

Put the two photos alongside each other -  If you think they're the same then OK but be aware that if HMPO disagrees there will be a significant delay in issuing a new passport as they will demand new countersigned photos. 

"Recognisable" is they key word, no need the be the "same".

For address evidence you can get a wife/partner/landlord to sign a copy of their ID card with a statement... "I confirm XYZ lives with me at the following address". Just write a little note explaining that you have no letters, bank statements, utility bills etc in your name that come to your address.

1 minute ago, LucysDad said:

"Recognisable" is they key word, no need the be the "same".

For address evidence you can get a wife/partner/landlord to sign a copy of their ID card with a statement... "I confirm XYZ lives with me at the following address". Just write a little note explaining that you have no letters, bank statements, utility bills etc in your name that come to your address.

It is for HMPO to determine if a photo which is not countersigned is acceptable. Most peoples appearance changes over a ten year period and obtaining a countersignature eliminates any possible delay in issuing a new passport due to a photographic discrepancy. 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, KarlS said:

The official HMPO line is that countersignature is only needed "if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport":-

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Also important to note from this link that, in the case of overseas applications, countersignatories must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. So, if you're planning to renew from Thailand AND your appearance has changed significantly AND you don't know anyone with a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport (not beyond the realms of possibility in practice when all 3 are taken together, I think), you will presumably find yourself in deep, deep doodah when attempting to obtain a replacement passport.

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

The official HMPO line is that countersignature is only needed "if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport":-

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Also important to note from this link that, in the case of overseas applications, countersignatories must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. So, if you're planning to renew from Thailand AND your appearance has changed significantly AND you don't know anyone with a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport (not beyond the realms of possibility when all 3 are taken together, I think), you will presumably find yourself in deep, deep doodah when attempting to obtain a replacement passport.

I think you will find that passport holders of other countries will be accepted but there will be a significant delay in issuing a new passport whilst the validity of the countersignatory passport is checked

3 minutes ago, KarlS said:

I think you will find that passport holders of other countries will be accepted but there will be a significant delay in issuing a new passport whilst the validity of the countersignatory passport is checked

Well it looks like I'd have major problems in any event since I don't know of anyone around here with any sort of passport (apart from my Thai wife who would, of course, be ineligible), let alone a British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth one!

Archived