Renewing UK passport

somo

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Well it looks like I'd have major problems in any event since I don't know of anyone around here with any sort of passport (apart from my Thai wife who would, of course, be ineligible), let alone a British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth one!

The price of living in the boonies? ????

32 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The official HMPO line is that countersignature is only needed "if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport":-

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Also important to note from this link that, in the case of overseas applications, countersignatories must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. So, if you're planning to renew from Thailand AND your appearance has changed significantly AND you don't know anyone with a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport (not beyond the realms of possibility in practice when all 3 are taken together, I think), you will presumably find yourself in deep, deep doodah when attempting to obtain a replacement passport.

To be fair, I don’t think that are many British Expats who can honestly say that they don’t know another British expat who can countersign. There are reclusive types but I suggest they are few and far between.

If all else fails OJAS feel free to PM me. I have known you for over 3 years on Thai Visa and, if you match your passport, I will countersign for you.

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Mine neither. But the staff at VFS in the past have accepted an up-to-date one as proof that you live in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What might have been accepted by VFS is no guarantee of acceptance by HMPO.  I doubt a 90day slip would be accepted now.

I got my new photos done and i do look (nearly) the same as my previous passport. I suppose i should get them countersigned to be on the safe side but the problem is finding someone of suitable character !! I don't know many barristers, dentists or airline pilots.

What might have been accepted by VFS is no guarantee of acceptance by HMPO.  I doubt a 90day slip would be accepted now.
The document doesn't get sent to HMPO. VFS tick a checklist when the documents are presented, saying proof of address has been provided.

Have you ever actually renewed a UK passport in Bangkok?

I got my new photos done and i do look (nearly) the same as my previous passport. I suppose i should get them countersigned to be on the safe side but the problem is finding someone of suitable character !!
There is no need unless you look radically different.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The document doesn't get sent to HMPO. VFS tick a checklist when the documents are presented, saying proof of address has been provided.

Have you ever actually renewed a UK passport in Bangkok?

YES, I have and you are mistaken. A friend of mine very recently had his "approved by VFS" proof of address rejected by HMPO. It pays to follow the downloadable guidance notes provided by HMPO.

YES, I have and you are mistaken. A friend of mine very recently had his "approved by VFS" proof of address rejected by HMPO. It pays to follow the downloadable guidance notes provided by HMPO.
What did he use and how long ago was it? My comment just refers to using a 90-day receipt.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What did he use and how long ago was it? My comment just refers to using a 90-day receipt.

He used an untranslated copy of a Thai driving license which was "approved" by VFS and forwarded to HMPO in January of this year. 

Archived