Jump to content

Chonburi - Pattaya Motorway speed limits and gantries


jojothai

Recommended Posts

I drove down to Pattaya and back from Bangkok last weekend on the Chonburi - Pattaya Motorway.

Used to do this a lot but not done since a year ago.

Very confused about the motorway speed limits, see below, Perhaps somebody has some info or experience to contribute.

 

The motorway was fairly busy in sections, but there were no hazards or traffic problems on my journey. 

You have the main signs for 120 in places, then periodic small 90 signs (some flashing) at the side of the motorway in some sections,

then you have overhead gantries with speed measurement displays (I think there were 4 or 5 of them).

I think one gantry had 120 sign, two had 90 signs and the first one coming out of Pattaya was 80.

Many of the vehicles are doing 100 - 120 ( and as usual some lunatics Higher).

so you can guess that as people see a 90 symbol on the gantry just in front of them there was variable braking and the potential for multiple car pile ups.

Its dangerous braking suddenly when there a lot of vehicles around you 

 

Whilst I support the efforts to get Motorists to slow down,

it is ridiculous to create such a hazard without adequate signage for clarity on the actual speed limit.

eg In the UK there are well indicated signage at speed restricted areas.

From what I saw, perhaps the whole of the motorway could be 90 speed limit with just some small parts at toll gates 120,

but how are drivers supposed to know when the toll booths clearly show 120 for cars?

Perhaps its just another example of the Thai authorities implementing something without sufficiently considering what will happen.  

 

Are all the small 90 signs valid? Can somebody clarify when these gantries and speed displays were put up. Is it only recently?

 

I note that there do not yet appear to be any cameras on the gantries, when I was driving back I was looking at the opposite side of the motorway.

As you can also guess, there were people slowing down more as they hit the displays trying to see if there were any cameras.

This increases the hazard.

 

I need to go to Pattaya again in 10 days. Appreciate any information related to speed limits.

Has there been any announcements concerning the speed limit or the gantries, or when they will fit cameras.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jojothai said:

then you have overhead gantries with speed measurement displays (I think there were 4 or 5 of them).

This was covered in a news article a month or so ago as Thai's were scaremongering but the DLT came on to reassure them there were no cameras involved.

If you look at them they are advising the 3 supposed speed limits for different types of vehicles and then depending on which lane you are in and speed they will flash your speed in either red, yellow or green. However since they have no current idea what kind of vehicle is being driven in which lane the colours are completely nonsensical. 

 

If you are in a car/truck unless you are going over 120 you can ignore them as the posters above suggest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, topt said:

If you look at them they are advising the 3 supposed speed limits for different types of vehicles and then depending on which lane you are in and speed they will flash your speed in either red, yellow or green. However since they have no current idea what kind of vehicle is being driven in which lane the colours are completely nonsensical. 

Thanks.

That would explain why i saw different speeds of 120, 90 and 80 on the Gantries. 

I had not thought that they may be displaying the various numbers for different vehicles.

Perhaps the authorities think that people will have to slow down enough to read and figure out what is on the gantries :wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Those signs make zero sense to me. When I drive to Bangkok I go at exactly 120kph all the way to the airport (when possible) and have yet to get a ticket.

If it was 90, they would be overwhelmed with the number of tickets they would have to issue.

I would guess that at least 80% of the vehicles were over 90 going through the gantries.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LennyW said:

120 is the speed limit, the 90 signs are advisories at bends and bridges.

Are you 100% sure about this? Please may I send any tickets to you if I get one for doing 120 where it says 90.  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Are you 100% sure about this? Please may I send any tickets to you if I get one for doing 120 where it says 90.  LOL

 

Please send a picture of the air gap between your car and the road as you try to cross the one bad bridge at 120 KPH !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only actual camera is at kilometre marker 112, I usually slow for that then 120 for the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Are you 100% sure about this? Please may I send any tickets to you if I get one for doing 120 where it says 90.  LOL

Yes i am, and if you are not then please stay off the road LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I think the only actual camera is at kilometre marker 112, I usually slow for that then 120 for the rest.

That camera is very near a 120kph sign, so presumably that speed is correct there. I always go past it at 120kph according to my car speedometer, though I know from my GPS that my car speedometer does over-read by about 6kph, in common with many (most? all?) other vehicles. That over-reading is also confirmed by the gantry speed indicators.

 

That is the only permanent camera that I know of, but there are sometimes mobile cameras along there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I think the only actual camera is at kilometre marker 112, I usually slow for that then 120 for the rest.

 

it was written km 110 on my friend ticket, and it is not the only camera, use waze and you will know more, there are 3 clearly spotted.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That camera is very near a 120kph sign, so presumably that speed is correct there. I always go past it at 120kph according to my car speedometer, though I know from my GPS that my car speedometer does over-read by about 6kph, in common with many (most? all?) other vehicles. That over-reading is also confirmed by the gantry speed indicators.

 

That is the only permanent camera that I know of, but there are sometimes mobile cameras along there.

That explains why my speedometer was off on my last trip, thought maybe there radar was off, so now I can go 126 and be safe - 555

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a new camera around Km60 mark now too, aside from the usual at 112km, I've got a ticket in December, the photo looks like it's from a higher vantage point, so must be on one of the gantry.

 

the gantry with sign is an 'advisory' only but they have technical capability to turn into speed camera.

 

The digital gantry have different 'recommended speed' for each lane, it will show your speed and will flash red if you're above it.  I find it can be quite inaccurate if there's a bunch of cars together

 

There's also an older style led screen that will flash a photo of your car if you're above the limit, these aren't turn on anymore

 

You won't get ticketed if you keep below 120, but yes, the occasional 90 limit (in red circle) sign along the route is confusing.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a ticket machine/ m pass system at all exit means it's  a matter of time or legislation change for them to implement an average speed monitoring system, pray they don't do that.

 

500 baht for going over 120 is very lenient, and you don't get points on your licence etc... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have placed lane speed radar in several locations but they seem to be already broken. That I think is where the Thai's think the camera's are and hit the brakes. Everyone I past going south yesterday was way over the speed I was actually traveling. More money wasted .

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, digbeth said:

Having a ticket machine/ m pass system at all exit means it's  a matter of time or legislation change for them to implement an average speed monitoring system, pray they don't do that.

 

500 baht for going over 120 is very lenient, and you don't get points on your licence etc... 

 

Does it exist in other countries ? never heard about it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, digbeth said:

There's a new camera around Km60 mark now too, aside from the usual at 112km, I've got a ticket in December, the photo looks like it's from a higher vantage point, so must be on one of the gantry.

 

the gantry with sign is an 'advisory' only but they have technical capability to turn into speed camera.

 

The digital gantry have different 'recommended speed' for each lane, it will show your speed and will flash red if you're above it.  I find it can be quite inaccurate if there's a bunch of cars together

 

There's also an older style led screen that will flash a photo of your car if you're above the limit, these aren't turn on anymore

 

You won't get ticketed if you keep below 120, but yes, the occasional 90 limit (in red circle) sign along the route is confusing.

 

 

 

Seen different tickers and cameras are very easy to spot, just standard globe quite high above the road. Nothing at bridges as I read somewhere else.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Mainland Europe, France definitely.

Yes, and for at least several years in France.

but in Europe they have recently been installing more of the systems that detect the average speed over a specific section of road, such as those that are used in the UK through road works.

I believe this is more targeted at dangerous sections of road.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Mainland Europe, France definitely.

Netherlands has it too.. for certain dangerous roads, they will check average speed not top speed. So breaking for a camera is not going to help you if your going to fast for a longer time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I commented on these multi-speed limit overhead signs on a more recent thread about proposed fines for people that sit in the right or 'fast' lane. There's a suggestion that the novel concept of enforceable lane discipline may be included in a raft of new driving laws and regulations that also has been subject of a more recent post with some already signed off. It's another facet of Thailand 4.0 and goes roughly like this:

 

Signage first: Check.

Laws second: Check

Enforcement thir.... oh, wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2019 at 2:45 AM, ToddinChonburi said:

They have placed lane speed radar in several locations but they seem to be already broken. That I think is where the Thai's think the camera's are and hit the brakes. Everyone I past going south yesterday was way over the speed I was actually traveling. More money wasted .

They could be un-monitored at this early juncture but in line with auto-sensing speed cameras on many Bangkok highways and an increasing amount of urban dual-carriageways in Bahn Nork, one needs to keep a eye on the letterbox to know if and when the cameras start 'working'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Mainland Europe, France definitely.

Hopefully what they are introducing now in many European countries never moves here.

 

Think it's called Trajectory control or something, where a battery of cameras is intalled just past a Highway entrance, and another battery just before the next exit maybe 10 km's ahead.

 

It has license plate recognition and calculates the average speed you drove over that 10km trajectory

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Hopefully what they are introducing now in many European countries never moves here.

 

Think it's called Trajectory control or something, where a battery of cameras is intalled just past a Highway entrance, and another battery just before the next exit maybe 10 km's ahead.

 

It has license plate recognition and calculates the average speed you drove over that 10km trajectory

When I worked in the back of beyond in WA, the large white squares painted at large intervals on rural highways was explained to me as being something to do with the same averaging of someone's speed. I guess it needed some sort of triggering as one was never chased down or saw any cops on the fly but you were flagged down and pulled over by a cop parked way, way up ahead and well beyond where you were actually 'caught'. Never, ever saw a cop, cop car or radar gun, just the cop pulling you over. I guess they could park well off the road but still have a clear view of the white markers? Bloody silly having speed limits when you could drive from Onslow to Karratha and never see another vehicle, either way for hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

Mainland Europe, France definitely.

UK - "SPECS", a lot of work being done on motorways to expand system!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...