Help Me Pick My Venue for Next Year

Nyezhov

So Im thinking about where I want to be when I come back next year in Octoberish. I like Bangkok simply because there is so much to do and see and its so central to get everywhere, but I am thinking Id like a bit more nature/quiet. My key is transport, Im not gonna drive or ride a bike anwhere where there is traffic. Plus with my recent bout with the Angel of Death, I should try to be near good healthcare. 

Right now I am in Thonburi on the BTS, its really quieter than you may think and easy access to everywhere. Of course, I am looking at buildings all the time.

What I do with myself is chill. I go to bed early, get up early, do my chores, I walk around, I take pictures, catch up on my reading, window shop, look at stuff, watch football, go slum every two weeks or so down on Sukhamvit. 

I only need a one bedroom furnished place with modern amenities. I would really prefer to be either a klick or two from civilization or a klick or two from "nature". or on a transit line if I stay in BKK.

So with that in mind this is what I am thinking of:

Khon Kaen. Advantages: Centralized, good health care, easy transport, big city amenities, cheap condos, nice houses outside the center. Disadvantages: either I live in a mini Bangkok or look at farm country.

Hua Hin: I never have been there, I guess I should go...advantages and disadvantages please?

Chiang Mai: I have been there and it was easy to get around but I just wonder if I would be happy there "doing nothing".

Nonthanburi: Close enough to Bangkok and a River view would be cool. I could sit on my balcony and look at the River while jiggling my man boobs.

Ayyuthaya: Id love to get a river place there, I could spend forever looking at ruins, etc. Close to BKK too 24/7. But the local transport is touristy sharklike. I could try to do a Scooter, but to be honest, driving in Thailand makes me nervous

Trat: Im heading there too. But its just a gateway to Koh Chang. Would it be too sleepy? Lots of nature though

What am I leaving out? Suggestions? I want to start planning. How about Chumphon or Cha-Am. It seems that beaches are more acessible than mountain areas for no transport dudes and are closer to BKK for medical, night out, whatever.

Alternatively, I can look at the end of the transport lines. Bang Wa is not really my speed, Id actually rather move in more to near Krung Thonburi of Wongwiang Yai. I have even been looking at around Wanglang and BangKapi I havent yet been to Keha, but it was pretty quiet down in Pak Nam. @Crossy whats going to be opening in 2019?

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Pros and cons?

It's quiet and off the tourist map, 4 hours from Bangkok, 2.5 hours from Pattaya, low cost of living, close to beaches and islands, but too boring for my lifestyle and it rains a lot.

Edited by camble

19 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Living upcountry, like I do, is not for everyone.  It helps to have a nice house, good transportation, good health and a great partner to enjoy nature with.

When I was single, I preferred to live in Bangkok.  That makes your day to day easy and then you just have to get off your ass and travel around a bit more often.  A great health club to workout in and a favorite hotel lobby to chill out and hold court worked for me.

The problem is I intend to stay single. Is it possible to live upcountry single if you are only an occasional renter?

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude right now my sex drive is sublimated to an insane desire for a steak and a pizza!  If you put a naked hottie in front of me, next to a hunk of Prime Rib and said choose wisely Grasshopper, you know which one I would gobble and it aint the one that talks.

With that in mind, I would say Ho Kham. There are not too many ladies there that would get you excited and it's on the Mekong river. Its massive attraction is that it's the most northern part of Isaan.

It has everything a farang could want; including peace and quiet.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

With that in mind, I would say Ho Kham. There are not too many ladies there that would get you excited and it's on the Mekong river. Its massive attraction is that it's the most northern part of Isaan.

It has everything a farang could want; including peace and quiet.

I liked Nong Khai I will say. 

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

pros:

great hospitals

two Villa markets

Bluport Mall with Gourmet Market.

Thousands of houses for rent for cheap.

Ocean view condos.

You can go everywhere on your scooter.

Close to Cha Am and Pranburi and everything just south.

Baht bus runs the full length of town north/south. 10 baht. 

VIP bus service to Pattaya, BKK, and Mo Chit. 

Ferry to Pattaya.

train to wherever. High speed dual track train under construction now.

Airport expansion. Air Asia.  

Fast internet all providers.

Fast cellphone, all providers.

Super easy immigration and 90 day reporting.

Super easy drivers license.

Far less Mafia police. Motorbike taxi guys know you are local so less of a rip off.

Far less "I look like I just got out of prison" Farangs.

All major auto, scooter and motorcycle dealerships.

Very long bike lanes from the south of town to Pranburi.

best gym in Thailand. True Arena, pro tennis.

lowest rainfall in Thailand.

cons:

super boring after about a year.

very small town feel. like a small college where everyone knows everyone's business.

third string bar girls. really horrible. Not a place for a single guy.

local female population sort of lacking. not good for hook up or finding a girlfriend. (compared to BKK or Pattaya.)

Very old Expat population. 65 is young.

you will bump into the same people everywhere you go. EVERYWHERE.

very hard to shop and find what you are looking for. not like Bangkok.

Not very good beaches compared to the rest of the world or Thai islands.

Heavy traffic at rush hour and holidays and weekends with Bangkok HiSos.

Some smog. Noise and trash everywhere. (of course)

It is a tourist destination so everything that goes with that. Russians, Chinese like the Borg.

I used to live there for four years or so,moved to Cha-am and all for the better.Hua-hin is getting too busy,over priced also.

Cha-am is worth checking out,lots of places for rent and everything is near.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

pros:

great hospitals

two Villa markets

Ocean view condos.

Ferry to Pattaya.

Far less Mafia police. Motorbike taxi guys know you are local so less of a rip off.

Far less "I look like I just got out of prison" Farangs.

All major auto, scooter and motorcycle dealerships.

Very long bike lanes from the south of town to Pranburi.

best gym in Thailand. True Arena, pro tennis.

cons:

super boring after about a year.

very small town feel. like a small college where everyone knows everyone's business.

third string bar girls. really horrible. Not a place for a single guy.

local female population sort of lacking. not good for hook up or finding a girlfriend. (compared to BKK or Pattaya.)

Very old Expat population. 65 is young.

you will bump into the same people everywhere you go. EVERYWHERE.

very hard to shop and find what you are looking for. not like Bangkok.

Not very good beaches compared to the rest of the world or Thai islands.

Heavy traffic at rush hour and holidays and weekends with Bangkok HiSos.

Some smog. Noise and trash everywhere. (of course)

It is a tourist destination so everything that goes with that. Russians, Chinese like the Borg.

Thats what I am looking for. Id love an ocean view. Basically, its a boring old folks town. But Im only there for 6 months. If I need the Old In Out, I can just roll somewhere else

I think I am going to head there after CNY to check it out. How is the quality of Thai food? How is basic life for a snowbird? Is there nature within say 20K besides beaches. Got a decent hotel reccomendation.

When you say its hard to shop, what do you mean?

Im not a white sand sunbather, Im used to East Coat USA beaches.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Pros:

great hospitals

two Villa markets

Ocean view condos.

Ferry to Pattaya.

Yes! And it also has one of the straightest railway lines in Thailand. Fishing at Wilson's fishery (brother of the late John Wilson). The farang fencing club. The chess club. The award winning boats at the harbour.

Hua-hin-01.jpg.a69f741b3a18e0a0b10ee0b24af4107d.jpgHH-02.jpg.5efc842f514891bc08f77827bc8d221d.jpgHH03.jpg.fb97c4e9c14b02d38db7b7ee591f5f30.jpg

Can also sit at the end of the pier and watch the starfish mating in 3 metres of water. I personally like north Isaan, but Hua Hin has many nice things.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats what I am looking for. Id love an ocean view.

ocean view condos are not cheap to rent. not sure costs.

How is the quality of Thai food?

excellent. everything from street food and food courts to ocean front seafood restaurants. 

How is basic life for a snowbird?

many EU UK snowbirds here. The Swedish are the ones who "discovered" HH. And a growing US expat population.

Is there nature within say 20K besides beaches.

yes too many to list.

When you say its hard to shop, what do you mean?

selection. Hua hin is a small Thai and Farang resort. nothing is in stock. "no have." must order from Bangkok. So if you are looking for a camera accessory or computer part forget it. there are many examples. I could not buy a GoPro 7 back in November in HH. Got one a week later in Chiang Mai. And they spoke English. never happen in HH. This might seem minor to you.

Im used to East Coat USA beaches.

I'm from California and have been everywhere to many great beaches so Thailand beaches are seriously lacking for me. You may like it. It is not tropical like the south. No green blue water like Koh Samui or Krabi. 

Edited by NCC1701A

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

So if you are looking for a camera accessory or computer part forget it

Meh. Trip to Bangkok. Good excuse.

I would save money. I used to go out and buy gun stuff just...because...O wow, check out those original stripper clips for a Mauser C96, I need another dozen...damn, is that an original Oil bottle? Unit marked? How much? $100? SOLD!

Now its like...hmmm...hey, is that a Z mount? Sold! (bought last month and finally used it)

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I'm from California and have been everywhere to many great beaches so Thailand beaches are seriously lacking for me. You may like it. It is not tropical like the south. No green blue water like Koh Samui or Krabi. 

So basically like an average US beach? Like the Jersey shore?

I liked the beach down in Songkhla btw.

What do you think is the difference between Hua Hin and Cha Am in a practical sense.

Just scrolling around I find sea view condos for as little as 11K

• Like 1

Lazada would fix the no hab problem.

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I would save money. I used to go out and buy gun stuff just...because.

well i really liked not being able to shop at first, but after five years of living here FULL TIME sometimes I want stuff and the best selection.

I had to sell my guns in the states. SLR-95 AK47 variant with 30 round clips, Glock 40 cal compact and of course a Mossberg A500 tactical shotgun. And I lived in California! 

and I had to give up my Amateur Radio hobby as it is seriously restricted here.   

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So basically like an average US beach? Like the Jersey shore?

yes, maybe nicer because of hills and some rocks and coves.

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

What do you think is the difference between Hua Hin and Cha Am in a practical sense.

Hua Hin is huge compared to Cha Am. CA is much more laid back and has a better beach. many high condos and super cheap shop houses for rent. No Farang grocery stores.

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Just scrolling around I find sea view condos for as little as 11K

if you see a photo proving it then OK. but true beach front sea view can be expensive. I could be wrong things change. 20k was starting when i looked.

18 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Hua-hin and Cha-am are not so far apart so you can check them both.Just outside cha-am is a nice little beach and during the week you would be nearly alone there.Weekends Bangkoks work force comes down and the town is busy for two days.Both places have nice hotels and guesthouses,food every where.

Like everyting se bot ws have their os and cons but that is up to the beholder.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I've only visited HH quite a few times, but never lived there...

However, from memory, the problem with the local bus system is it is (was) only a daytime operation, and stops relatively early in the evenings. Thus at night time, if you don't have your own transport, options were pretty dire. Has that changed?

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

well i really liked not being able to shop at first, but after five years of living here FULL TIME sometimes I want stuff and the best selection.

I had to sell my guns in the states. SLR-95 AK47 variant with 30 round clips, Glock 40 cal compact and of course a Mossberg A500 tactical shotgun. And I lived in California! 

and I had to give up my Amateur Radio hobby as it is seriously restricted here.   

yes, maybe nicer because of hills and some rocks and coves.

Hua Hin is huge compared to Cha Am. CA is much more laid back and has a better beach. many high condos and super cheap shop houses for rent. No Farang grocery stores.

if you see a photo proving it then OK. but true beach front sea view can be expensive. I could be wrong things change. 20k was starting when i looked.

Makro just opened in CA.

• Thanks 1