Royal Decree Paves Way For 2019 Election

webfact

Royal Decree Paves Way For 2019 Election

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

49500019_419496651922747_271873000935836

A social media personality holds a "mock election" on Jan. 7 to lampoon the government's repeated delays of voting. Image: Pangpondontour / Facebook

BANGKOK — The final hurdle to holding an election this year was cleared Wednesday morning by a royal decree that brings Thailand closer to the elusive poll.

Signed by King Vajiralongkorn, the brief royal decree empowered the government and related agencies to hold voting for the House Representatives. The Election Commission has five days to set a date for election day after the decree is enacted.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/01/23/royal-decree-paves-way-for-2019-election/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-23

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

//Admin

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Royal decree good, but Prayut and his cronies will keep thinking up any excuse possible to delay, delay, delay the election.

"The election date  must  be  no  earlier  than  45 days  but  no  later  than 60 days  from  the  date  such  royal  decree  comes  into  force."

I agree with your comment Colin, but would PCO dare to go against such a decree?   The decree has been issued by H.M., but does it go into effect immediately i.e. 23 Jan 2019?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"The election date  must  be  no  earlier  than  45 days  but  no  later  than 60 days  from  the  date  such  royal  decree  comes  into  force."

I agree with your comment Colin, but would PCO dare to go against such a decree?   The decree has been issued by H.M., but does it go into effect immediately i.e. 23 Jan 2019?

Thanks for that mate, i was not aware of that.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

The constitutional process calls for the Election Commission (EC) to schedule the date for the long-awaited election within five days after the decree goes into effect.

Yawn - yawn.

Wake me up when (and if) it's all over,

My pooch knows more and he's called Rover.

When the royal decree's  enacted,

(The EC have 5 days in which to fix the date of the country's hastily arranged - i.e. within 5-yrs - election … an extra line, there, knowing the EC's pedantic need for detail)

We'll all go home subtracted, i.e. none the wiser.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Thanks for that mate, i was not aware of that.

... well, this is when the army is supposed to step in, to do what they do best... Image result for obeliximage.jpeg.06942a7b58cc4b25d247cbed47a48fbe.jpeg 

-  the incumbent is not above the Law

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Just read about this on the website we cannot mention. Strange thing was that I had to confirm I was a human (not a robot) to enter the site first. Maybe the website we cannot mention is getting fed up of all the dislikes that appear on comments that are critical of the government. The dislikes most definitely seem suspicious as they were far and few between before. 

Let's hope there is a free and fair election soon. 

Are you using a VPN.. i had the problem when i used a VPN not when i just used my Thai provider. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

A tiny step towards democracy and a big step to wipe that smug off Prayut's face. His article 44 is not match for a royal decree. Now he has to declare which political party he will join within a time frame and no more of his self gratifying nonsense about waiting for a party to approach as though he has many suitors. Amen to see his hind leaving office and have the door slammed on him.   

His brand is probably well toxic by now.  Even those who would share his aims and methods recognize that.  Will there be a face-saving arrangement or the classic Thai temper tantrum when face is lost?

Grab some popcorn.

• Haha 2

Good that there finally is a royal decree, will be real hard NOT to hold an election.

Interesting times ahead I wonder who will win and put their snouts in the feeding trough. 

If any of the anti junta parties, i wonder if they will try to remove the tough computer laws or keep them to suppress their enemies.  Just wondering if anything will change or not. Besides different faces in the feeding trough.

Edited by robblok

43 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Then 150 days after the 60 days. 

4 minutes ago, cmsally said:

OK, so if a royal decree is necessary to announce an actual election date, then how did they announce the previous date that just got cancelled (Feb 24)  ??

I think someone got their knuckles rapped for delaying the election yet again

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I sincerely hope you're right. Sadly, I'm not sure. 

I have posted this a few times so I won't go into great detail just have a look what happened in the Malaysia election in May 18. The Junta cannot manufacture a win when they are so unpopular

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Actually, the "Royal" part of any royal decree is just a formality since the king is head of state. Decree are issued by the government so it's Prayuth's call. 

Its signed by Prayut now its down to the EC to name a date

47 minutes ago, cmsally said:

OK, so if a royal decree is necessary to announce an actual election date, then how did they announce the previous date that just got cancelled (Feb 24)  ??

by postponing and postponing and postponing again and again and again....:cheesy::cheesy: