Visa Conversion

As far as I know you do not have to convert one type of a non-immigrant visa to another type of non-immigrant visa. In fact, I believe you cannot even do that. If you want a different type of non-immigrant visa than the type on which you last entered Thailand, you have to go outside Thailand and apply for a new non-immigrant visa of the type you desire.

However, if you are on an annual extension of stay, you can change the reason for your extension the next time you apply for your extension. This you do at an immigration office, i.e. inside Thailand.

--

Maestro

i would like to get a non-imm ed but do not want to commit (pay) to any program until i am in thailand and have shopped around a little.....but want to sort out non-imm visa before i leave.

is it possible to get the required letter of invitation for ed application while i am in home country from institution / business without showing receipt for payment?

thanks for advice,

ytrewq, this is one of the times when it would be useful to know where you are. For example, it is an open secret on this forum that in some countries some understanding honorary consuls give a multiple-entry non-O visa for the purpose of visiting “friends and family” and such visa would suit you perfectly. If once in Thailand you then want to sign up for some courses, you don’t need to change visa.

Call an honorary consulate in your country, if there is any, and ask about the multiple-entry non-O. If you cannot get it, get a tourist visa for two or three entries. This gives you six to nine month to find a suitable course, then you can apply locally for a change in visa status to non-immigrant and get an annual extension.

--

Maestro

there is no such thing as converting a non-imm to a as u call it a "working visa". in this country u get a work permit, dependent on that u will receive a on year extension of stay.

hope this helps

Edited by oooooo

ytrewq, this is one of the times when it would be useful to know where you are. For example, it is an open secret on this forum that in some countries some understanding honorary consuls give a multiple-entry non-O visa for the purpose of visiting "friends and family" and such visa would suit you perfectly. If once in Thailand you then want to sign up for some courses, you don't need to change visa.

Call an honorary consulate in your country, if there is any, and ask about the multiple-entry non-O. If you cannot get it, get a tourist visa for two or three entries. This gives you six to nine month to find a suitable course, then you can apply locally for a change in visa status to non-immigrant and get an annual extension.

--

Maestro

thanks everyone.

from canada and think the embassy here may not be as understanding as say usa or uk but will try to obtain non-imm o.

someone let me know what paperwork other than the usual application, photo etc. is required? I have a gf in thailand....qualifies as visiting friends/family but not sure embassy would care.

someone let me know what paperwork other than the usual application, photo etc. is required? I have a gf in thailand....qualifies as visiting friends/family but not sure embassy would care.

The documentation required depends entirely on the particular consulate where you apply.

Starting out with a tourist visa will also do, but if you want to try for the non-O visa forget the embassy. Talk to an honorary consulate in Canada, if there is one. Applications can be done by mail and therefore it does not matter if it is distant from where you live.

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...

The documentation required depends entirely on the particular consulate where you apply.

Starting out with a tourist visa will also do, but if you want to try for the non-O visa forget the embassy. Talk to an honorary consulate in Canada, if there is one. Applications can be done by mail and therefore it does not matter if it is distant from where you live.

--

Maestro

Somewhat related...I am an American,and was JUST told by email from BOTH

of the two most liberal Thai Consulates in USA that they are NOT giving

multiple entry non immigrant type O visas anymore !!! Any feedback Thaivisa expats?

...anyone?..what a letdown!!!

Can you provide details? None as in no, never, no way? Or no for specified reasons that you provided? Trying to find out if they now have a no multi entry visa policy for all or just some applications. Thanks for any more feedback.

Can you provide details? None as in no, never, no way? Or no for specified reasons that you provided? Trying to find out if they now have a no multi entry visa policy for all or just some applications. Thanks for any more feedback.

Hi LopBuri,

Some background: I'm American,,almost 47,unmarried,no biz in LOS.

14 months ago,I was given a multi entry non imm. type O from Denver,on the advice of

good Thaivisa regulars. It went great..got it in a few days as told. Now I'm back in San Diego,California

and tried emailing DENVER,where I was told they aren't giving type O's out "as easily anymore" I then tried Houston,where I was told that without a job in Thailand,a property,or a bank account they "Don't see how we can issue you a type O"...also,after one more request for info,they seemed a bit cold about it.This surprises me.

So,the most I can hope for at this point is a triple entry tourist visa(with ext.) and 3-30 day tourist visas "on top of that" ???

Looks like after all,even the most liberal and laidback consulates are getting the squeeze. :o

Somewhat related...I am an American,and was JUST told by email from BOTH

of the two most liberal Thai Consulates in USA that they are NOT giving

multiple entry non immigrant type O visas anymore !!! Any feedback Thaivisa expats?

...anyone?..what a letdown!!!

That is not entirely correct. I applied for a Multiple entry O visa yesterday and picked it up today from the Los Angeles consulate. I supplied to them:

Passport

Copy of passport page 1/2

Certified copy of Marriage certificate with Thai translation

Copy of my wifes passport

Copy of my wife ID card

Hand written letter from my wife stating we were still married.

Money order $125.

Must have taken less than 10 minutes.

I just got back from the consulate in my office not 30 minutes ago, so you cannot get more current than that!!