For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

10 minutes ago, Respectthailand said:

Old farangs ( whether in their own country or a new country) are hardly renowned for cheeriness and optimism.

Victor meldrew anybody?

They think the world owes them a living, expect deference and respect to be shown to them ( whether deserved or not ) and as they get older casual racism becomes de rigeur despite many of them being married ro a ' jonny foreigner'.

They couldny cope in their country of origin and made a move believing their new country would be shangri la. It never could or would be like that and they cant cope knowing they have failed...again.

Laughably they think countries like cambodia will be a panacea.

Hung sen has taken cronyism and corruption to a whole new level.

It is a country almost wholly dependent on foreign aid handouts ( a lot of which is skimmed off ).

Ripping off its own inhabitants and foreigners is a national sport.

You think BiB are bad here...you aint seen nothing yet.

Health care??? Give me a break.

Food from 'back home'..I don't think so.

But hey be my guest.

I'm sure the new 'home' will welcome the incessant droning on of its new 'guests'.

Well your a lot of fun. 

Were you looking in the mirror the whole time when writing all that. :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin

51 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

No you shouldn't have to surrender your culture as long as you respect the culture of the country you are living in.

Hold off on the "stupid" comments tho as they probably look at you the same way. It's another country and not the one you grew up in. Accept that fact and be respectful of the people and culture and it will open many doors for you.

It may surprise you that while I don't care for most Thais I have encountered, I ALWAYS treat them with respect. That is a courtesy they almost universally do not extend to me. But, I offer mine because I am better. 

As for stupid, OK, let's use 'ignorant' instead. But, don't judge me for this view. Thais themselves seem to be aware: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30341300

Edited by Fex Bluse

2 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Thailand has never done anything for their expats, only trying to control and monitoring. Every long term expat is per se a criminal, they think

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

That's your opinion and not a fact.

23 hours ago, puchooay said:

Judging by this thread, I would say that Thailand will be a much better place to live. All the doomers and gloomers will be gone and will be whinging about there lives somewhere else.

and only the loosers will stay - I feel sorry for expats that have family and are stuck here tho

40 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Thailand has been accused in the past  and is now on a USA watch list...can you help me understand ..how this is possible

Take a look at the list and find Thailand.  I only see Germany, Switzerland, India, Japan and Korea.  To my knowledge Thailand is not a currency manipulator.  If you have knowledge of that please post a link.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/206/2018-10-17-(Fall-2018-FX Report).pdf

Edited by marcusarelus

23 hours ago, madmen said:

I doubt all 90% are married home owners or on business visas.

THE overwhelming number of posts on TV all say they don't own anything here and have a suitcase emoji161.png by the door ready to bolt. Problem is bolt where? All of Asia is tightening visa rules

You know very well that most are just having a bitch.

Try google Varna or Burgas, Bulgaria

35 minutes ago, wobalt said:

The problem is that many expats know a “different” Thailand many years ago

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

Yup.  A lot better now than it was in 1968.  Girls use a lot less hairspray to name one improvement.  Now police a lot less corrupt and a whole lot less Americans here now.

Edited by marcusarelus

47 minutes ago, Respectthailand said:

Old farangs ( whether in their own country or a new country) are hardly renowned for cheeriness and optimism.

Victor meldrew anybody?

They think the world owes them a living, expect deference and respect to be shown to them ( whether deserved or not ) and as they get older casual racism becomes de rigeur despite many of them being married ro a ' jonny foreigner'.

They couldny cope in their country of origin and made a move believing their new country would be shangri la. It never could or would be like that and they cant cope knowing they have failed...again.

Laughably they think countries like cambodia will be a panacea.

Hung sen has taken cronyism and corruption to a whole new level.

It is a country almost wholly dependent on foreign aid handouts ( a lot of which is skimmed off ).

Ripping off its own inhabitants and foreigners is a national sport.

You think BiB are bad here...you aint seen nothing yet.

Health care??? Give me a break.

Food from 'back home'..I don't think so.

But hey be my guest.

I'm sure the new 'home' will welcome the incessant droning on of its new 'guests'.

This rant in itself displays remarkable similarities to those it criticizes.

28 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

It may surprise you that while I don't care for most Thais I have encountered, I ALWAYS treat them with respect. That is a courtesy they almost universally do not extend to me. But, I offer mine because I am better. 

As for stupid, OK, let's use 'ignorant' instead. But, don't judge me for this view. Thais themselves seem to be aware: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30341300

'I am better'.

And ever so modest

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

After eating said mangos and pineapple for the last ten years, my libido does not seem to have suffered. Just ask my Thai GF.

I'd suggest your friend has simply grown man boobs, which can happen to guys that don't exercise everything regularly.

The bit about growing breasts was joke!! (maybe I should have said.....and he is now working in Pattaya!)

However whenever he went out spraying them with hormones he was completely covered from head to toe in protective gear........so not keen on getting that stuff on his skin, or breathing it in.

Getting off track......but give me the pristine fruit, veg and meat on display in Oz or NZ over any rubbish I have seen here. Rats, cockroaches, flies and stinking meat all present in many places......even in my local large supermarket.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 348GTS said:

What you have "running" the country in Thailand is way worse than anything the delusional left wing media make up about Donald Trump, but hey, please don't let facts get in the way of your Trump Derangement Syndrome.

No, I'd say they're pretty much on a par. However, one of them knows he's dishonest and the other one thinks people believe him when he says it's everyone else.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1