Trump announces deal to reopen federal government through Feb. 15

rooster59

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I knew Trump would fold. He could not handle the huge drop in approval numbers

Trump also couldn't handle a warning from his guardian Senate Majority Mitch McConnell.

The House version of the budget bill before the Senate had more Senate Republican support than the Senate version had from Democrat support. While both versions failed to get 60 votes to pass, Republican Senators were signalling that it's time for Trump to open the government or face a possible joint congressional veto-proof budget bill.

After the two defeated votes Mitch immediately went to see Trump and now we see Trump conceding a temporary unconditional re-opening of the government.

Trump folding (however temporary) also shows his threat of a Presidential Order to get wall funding is not a serious option.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Trump also couldn't handle a warning from his guardian Senate Majority Mitch McConnell.

The House version of the budget bill before the Senate had more Senate Republican support than the Senate version had from Democrat support. While both versions failed to get 60 votes to pass, Republican Senators were signalling that it's time for Trump to open the government or face a possible joint congressional veto-proof budget bill.

After the two defeated votes Mitch immediately went to see Trump and now we see Trump conceding a temporary unconditional re-opening of the government.

Trump folding (however temporary) also shows his threat of a Presidential Order to get wall funding is not a serious option.

This is true. There were five Republican senators who supported the democratic house bill. That was a huge blow to Trump. The defections are only beginning. The hull of the ship is showing signs of wear and tear, and the ship could sink very soon. 

12 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

Know when to hold, know when to fold.........know when to walk away!!!

If Trump knew when to walk away, he would have done this weeks ago. In fact, since good poker players are supposed to be able to size up the opposition and the odds, he never would have attempted this in the first place.

How about stepping back and recognizing that;

-Trump did the right thing in ending this madness;

- Congress works

- The new members of the House from both parties are less  doctrinaire than the people in previous sessions and despite some public statement to the contrary, really do want to do what is best for the USA

- Democracy is alive and kicking in the USA and as stupid as the shutdown was, Americans  are not all idiots.

- 78 year old Pelosi just showed  old folks can still  open a can of whoopass

- Trump can be managed. All it takes is patience, discipline and resolve.

I take a positive message from the results. Maybe the new Congress can rehabilitate Trump.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

I take a positive message from the results. Maybe the new Congress can rehabilitate Trump.

I wish I could share your optimism but in order to be rehabilitated one would at some point have to have been habile.

5 hours ago, farcanell said:

You need to have a good look at trumps foreign policy and how it effects every country.... from economic sanctions thru nuclear brinksmanship..... then factor in his seeming unadvisedly or illadvised irrational and unpredictable behavior.

and whilst the “wall”, might be deemed a domestic issue, even though it will divide a continent... it’s not the building of it that worries non US citizens, or how much it will cost the US taxpayer... it’s the way and means he’s used to get here, that’s worrying

then, throw in 8000 plus lies or untruths.... this trait of dishonesty might not upset you, or other Americans, but the duplicity does effect other nations needing to deal with yours, and the question of trusting the worlds preminent power, is then a hot topic

trump has made America untrustworthy... the planets supposed most powerful man, is untrustworthy... the planet, not americas, so his actions effect us all, not just y’all.

it effects both allies and enemies, yet his unilateral actions which impact us, are done without notification or consultation, which is the height of arrogance.... and should not be tolerated.

hope that helps

Then after it's built, stand by for the news stories how the folks from the South have found several other ways to enter...

Just now, Kelsall said:

Very true.  For those who did not have to show up at work it was a paid vacation.

Yes indeed. an all expense paid, lounging on the beach-type paid in arrears vacation for affluent federal workers with pocket protectors. No concern at all for those who ran up credit card debt to stay afloat, feed their families or otherwise provide security. Those private contractors just got nothing. When I think of Federal workers, I think of exclusive golf clubs, private resorts, and fancy cars.

But Trump supporters think they got a paid vacation. Amazing.

13 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Very true.  For those who did not have to show up at work it was a paid vacation.

What a great way to spend your vacation. Worrying about how long the shutdown will last and how to pay your bills. So relaxing. And then there's the camaraderie of the soup kitchens.

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

How about stepping back and recognizing that;

-Trump did the right thing in ending this madness;

- Congress works

- The new members of the House from both parties are less  doctrinaire than the people in previous sessions and despite some public statement to the contrary, really do want to do what is best for the USA

- Democracy is alive and kicking in the USA and as stupid as the shutdown was, Americans  are not all idiots.

- 78 year old Pelosi just showed  old folks can still  open a can of whoopass

- Trump can be managed. All it takes is patience, discipline and resolve.

Trump has been causing utter chaos and the Republicans in both Congress and the Senate have done everything they can to prevent any checks and balances on him.

The reason, and the only reason, Trump is now being held in check is the Democrats took the House at the mid-terms.

It’s not patience that’s managing Trump it’s Pelosi backed by the Democrat majority.

Congress will not ‘rehabilitate’ Trump, they’ll leave that to the Federal Prisons,

I am not going to gloat. I am simply glad that the pointless hardships loaded onto ordinary people by an idiotic, incompetent and callous administration will now slowly be lessened.

For many companies, contractors and institutions, it may take weeks or months to get things back on track. For some, it may mean projects, contracts and research remain permanently cancelled. My point here being real lasting damage has been done by this rash and stupid tantrum.

Only read the first page, yet opening the government for 19 days doesnt seem like a big victory for anyone. House cant re-open after Feb 15 unless the Senate votes for it - and they are Republican led.  Everyone praises Pelosi - yet it was McConnel that got the vote in the Senate, the House wanted the government open from day one.  Trump doesnt get his wall until it all starts again on the 15th of Feb.  Legislature is still ineffectual for the most part, dealing with domestic issues

This should be a wake up call for Gov. Workers that even you with a pretty secure job have to save some money. I have friends who also live paycheck to paycheck but they could be saving if they didn't take weekend holidays as soon as they have a few bucks instead of saving. Folks have to have that new car, starbucks every morning and evening, eat lunch at restaurants, take out for dinner without thinking what's going to happen if I loose my job. It's how today's society is. 

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This should be a wake up call for Gov. Workers that even you with a pretty secure job have to save some money. I have friends who also live paycheck to paycheck but they could be saving if they didn't take weekend holidays as soon as they have a few bucks instead of saving.

Thus revealing the true current nature of the economy as felt by the people, not as measured on stock tickers or corporate earnings.  People are barely making ends meet, despite what Wilbur Ross would have us believe.

Just now, Becker said:

I have decided to take the high road and not gloat over the man-child's misfortunes so............

On second thought **** that! 

BWAHAHAHAHA! 

What a twerp. My God, I can't imagine the abuse we would have heaped upon a fake like this in my younger days.

I'm kind of wondering what the "right" thing for Trump to do actually was. People complained at him being a heartless ass for keeping the government shut down. So, he decides to reopen it. Now, people laugh and make fun of it.  What was the right call?  He recognized that he didn't have the numbers and decided to fold his hand, and wait for the next one. Now, Pelosi has three weeks to get something done. The ball is in her court. 

Trump has gotten enough wins so far (supreme court, tax cut, judicial appointments, etc.) that he can afford to take a loss.

6 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

They will be paid, always have in the past. Those that had to work are pissed off most. 

The government workers... yes

but no one seems to be talking about the associated workers... the contractors etc... those not on a government salary, but reliant on government work, or an income derived from government workers that weren’t there, businesses that are geared to a certain output, which changed, because of this... these people have also been negatively effected.... and will not be reimbursed.

to only consider those 800 000 is head in the sand stuff.... willful ignorance, even.... and no one is out of the woods yet, as it may all be back on again in a couple of weeks, with these contractors et al, in line to loose even more of their annual income.

Archived