bad night in Cowboy

nikmar

Sounds like the only bad part of your night was your wife finding out.  You arrived home in one piece and with most of your money intact.  Your dignity is another thing, but whatever.  I wouldn't push it too much more. I've been where you are.  It's embarrassing when my wife sees the Kasikorn charges to bars in Patpong on my phone, but I make no excuses. She knows I'm there and I have nothing to hide.  I somehow get myself home. However, one time I got driven around the city while I was passed out in the backseat.  My Google maps showed me where I'd been driven: the wonders of modern technology.  So maybe check your phone. It should have a record of where you were. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, atyclb said:

i too had a horrific experience at soi cowboy recently.  after a few drinks no matter how many times i closed and reopened my eyes, washed them with water, i kept seeing lots of fat chicks with shaking cellulite dancing in bikinis.

i will get a thorough eye exam at a local hospital next week.

In that case you probably weren't even in Bangkok.

You must have been in Pattaya.

44 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

What are the "preferred" acceptable forms of ID a person should carry that the Thai Police prefer to see? I know a lady that insists she will always carry her passport with her everywhere she goes as carrying a copy isn't an option. She said the police won't accept those as they can be reproduced/forged so easily. I'm sure a Thai drivers license would work but what if a person doesn't have that? Is an international drivers license acceptable?

I've been holidaying in BKK but mainly Pattaya often for months at a time since 1984 and have NEVER once been asked for my passport or any form of other ID.

I'd much sooner be told to produce it at a police station or an immigration office than have it stolen.

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Depends who wants to see ID and for what reason. Like 90% of people I have never been asked for passport or ID when out and about. Most people who have been asked report that a copy of passport was accepted.

Thanks. I was thinking of the occasional "bar raid" where they ask everyone for ID. I figured you could be asked at any time. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:36 AM, BritManToo said:

Had it done to me in CM 10 years back.

Roofie doesn't knock you out, but robs you of your memory.

Usually you just wander around in a daze until it wears off, then have no memory of that time when you recover.

To other people you just appear slightly drunk.

Don't go out drinking with anything except the money you expect to spend.

Leave your wallet, cards, passport at home.

Rohypnol is the technical term for roofie. It's also known as the date rape drug.

BMT's advice is sound. Although I'm too old for cruising bars now, I only ever took enough cash with me for the evening. A photocopy of my passport and my Thai driving licence under the seat of the scooter. Only drank out of a bottle opened in front of me - no glass.

Nowadays, I mostly drink at home. Or in the company of friends.

Definitely joined the drugged in Bangkok side. They can be scandalous. And generally no Thai tells on a Thai.

Catch 22. If it is Joke's detail of raid late night, then you need some sort of a full id. They want to see that your visa or extension is legal and no over stay.

Drugged and don't remember anything.  Keep going with that story if it makes you feel better. The fact your story starts out my wife and kids left town so I had a chance to go out alone to the bars. Says a lot about you. No simpathy here dumb$$a

29 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Drugged and don't remember anything.  Keep going with that story if it makes you feel better. The fact your story starts out my wife and kids left town so I had a chance to go out alone to the bars. Says a lot about you. No simpathy here dumb$$a

There's no need to be rude to the man nor has he requested your 'simpathy'.

He's admitted he's been taken for a mug and his story has served as a warning and a reminder that we must all be on our toes in parts of the LOS.

Your remark says a lot about you. An apology would show you in a better light. 

19 hours ago, atyclb said:

alcohol induce blackout is also possible and there are various types of blackouts

Absolutely correct! Experienced it once, a long time ago...

I had even driven home too! Stupidity at it's best! But would've kept my guardian angel busy full time!

To-date, cannot remember a thing.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:47 AM, sanemax said:

Phones can get traced , some phones have global positioning , so you know where your phone is , passports would need to be sold .

All they wanted was cash .

You were most probably drugged , does your bottom feel OK ?

True story, a friend of mine woke up in the late afternoon after being drugged, pbly Fentanyl,  the night before with his hairbrush stuck in his rectum, handle first Thank god.  Lost all his money, watch, and gold chain, but still had his credit cards.   He confided in me to get him to a doctor with discretion, his but was bleeding.  I asked hi if it was a lady boy, he said it was two girls that helped him to his hotel on Soi 8, this was in Bangkok.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:44 PM, Orton Rd said:

Never drink from a bottle you have not seen opened and take it with you to the toilet 

I get being over caution to this extreme reduces any chances of someone slipping something in your drink, but seriously, ever been to a bar where they bring the bottle to your table or seat and whip out the bottle open and open it right in front of you? Ever seen any guys bringing their drinks with them in the toilet.? If I ever see this, I will know its Orton from TV.

Better just stay home!

As others have said, leave the valuables at home if you think you might be going to seedy places, eating, drinking or shagging with strangers. 

A friend and I used to be partial to going out on LSD fuelled benders in Bangkok. The simple rule was to always to leave the valuables behind, and to look out for each other.

Even now, many years later, I only take my wallet if I'm going to a more genteel place that I trust, and with people I know. 

Archived