Video: Thailand's shame: "We should be like farangs and keep our own country clean"

webfact

5 minutes ago, realfunster said:

What I don’t understand is why there doesn’t appear to be a consistent government public service campaign via the media on this and other related ‘social’ matters.

Seems odd for an authoritarian and bureaucratic state.

Worthwhile targets :

Learning to swim

Driving/drunk driving/seatbelts/ crash helmets

Littering/environmental

Corruption

etc, etc. 

Just maybe its linked to the face thing.

As most of what you have pointed out,  shows them up in there falling to there citizens and to themselves.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

IF you or anyone else wants to actually organise this I will join with my 3 sons. 

If someone [else] wants to make a thread+poll to see if there's any interest I'd be happy to take part. I'm not sure many other members would be interested. Although intentionally shaming Thais isn't what I had in mind and is bad optics, you'd lose me if it went in this direction.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I use farang and foreigner both.. I don't  feel farang is offensive. Others might think so I don't to each his / her own. 

"Farang" has got a slight deragotory meaning, foreigner is an English word, chautangchat is the Thai word for foreigner without deragotory meaning.

• Like 1

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too, however in general I think foreigners are far more conscious about littering. The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it. That also leads to littering. 

Good comment about trash cans. See how many you can find in a shopping mall.

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too,

Where, exactly? Pray tell and then I can visit this trashy farang place, tell the culprits what I think of them and maybe watch them apologetically pick-up their rubbish. A little surprised you didn't do this, robblok, knowing your liking for head-to-heads ????

And, as for a shortage of bins exacerbating the problem, that would hardly apply to trashy Thais who'd simply not appreciate why they were there, on the sidewalk or fixed to a lamp-post, and drop their litter next to them, without even being aware of the mess that they were constructing around them.

Only joking - OK, well, half-joking - about the trashy farangs, but I am surprised that you didn't pass a polite comment/rebuke to the culprits, unless there was real fear of being trashed yourself ????