Half of Thai parents wear helmets - but only one in 14 bother to give them to their kids

webfact

Most of them won't buy quality helmets. First because it is expensive (but actually if you can afford a motorcycle / scooter you should at least spend 2-3k to a decent helmet. Second because it is "inconvenient" to have a full face helmet (need to carry it all the time or lock it to your bike or you get it stolen)...Third, because even Thai Police uses shit helmet that won't protect them at all in case of accident, so people don't really understand the need to have a good helmet after looking at police officer wearing crap on their head.

9 minutes ago, anthobkk said:

Most of them won't buy quality helmets. First because it is expensive (but actually if you can afford a motorcycle / scooter you should at least spend 2-3k to a decent helmet. Second because it is "inconvenient" to have a full face helmet (need to carry it all the time or lock it to your bike or you get it stolen)...Third, because even Thai Police uses shit helmet that won't protect them at all in case of accident, so people don't really understand the need to have a good helmet after looking at police officer wearing crap on their head.

Yes some of the Police,  set such a good example to there citizens and younger officers, whilst wearing this going down the road on there bike  :coffee1:

download.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a recent visit to Phuket I was surprised to see Tourists or maybe Expats out with the family on the scooter. Mum holding a baby and a toddler standing in the middle all with no helmet. 

The whole foreign family on a scooter is new to me.

2 hours ago, grego49 said:

In nsw Australia the fine for not wearing a helmet is$337 and if your passenger is not wearing one the rider gets fined double,so everyone wears one,here the fines should be tripled but the biggest problem is the cops that just sit and watch.

I would like to think most Aussie motorcyclists wear a helmet to protect themselves, not to just avoid a fine.

However it is startling how many western people abandon their safety culture when riding in Thailand.

• Like 2

The reason many parents wear helmets is that they have to pay if caught by the police for not wearing a helmet. The police should start ticketing parents for having kids / passengers on their motorbikes without helmets. Incentive.

• Like 1

when ppl can afford 40k+ on a motorbike, i dont think the 200-400thb kid helmet's cost prohibit the parents for buying one.

it is silly to blame the helmet cost, really.

if anything, blame the enforcing of helmet wearing ( or the lack of it).

Yes the being seen to be cool has big part in the older kids unfortunately. I wonder if the parents actually know the amount of children that die and or injured in this way. Maybe the transport department get together with the television stations to do a daily update on the figures during the news.

But to just digress a little I notice in Australia that so many kids and adults just ignore the law on helmets some like to protect their handlebars by hanging their helmets on them instead of putting them on there heads mad but the police seem to ignore them instead of warning them or giving them a ticket. What's your thoughts. 

• Like 1