What is the best VPN for download speeds in Thailand

oporhatch

I am not sure of the correct forum....I think I put previous things in the tech forum  - but never got any responses..so I thought I would try general

I currently have ExpressVPN  who have just sent me this  - when I questioned why do I get a 50% reduction in mbps, when using the VPN

Honestly, you should get 50% to 65% of your actual speed when connected to the VPN which you are experiencing right now. This is because of the encryption level that we have to make sure that all of your network traffic that passes through VPN tunnel will be secured so this is normal.

I was just wondering if there is a better one that will improve my download speeds....people are pushing  me towards IPvanish, which I am about to try.  I do not care about geo location at the moment , just so that I can use a VPN for all streaming -  my IPTV services seem to struggle .

I currently have a plan for 100mbps and get roughly on average about 94 mbps.......it would be nice if I could maintain at least 80mpbs with the vpn on -   or is this wishful thinking       

Well... I am not in Thailand... and I am not a VPN expert..... but I use AIRVPN ....   From a recent review... When it comes to servers, AirVPN boasts 219 in 20 countries. The connection isn’t hindered too much, either — we detected no signs of data throttling, and speed tests revealed normal drops with optimal server choices. Your mileage may vary, mainly depending on server load and location, but unlimited bandwidth at a minimum of 4Mbps is guaranteed by the provider.

So far, I like using it.   

If you ask 10 people this question, you will get 10 different answers.

If you just need to download files, connect to the VPN server closest to you for the bet results.

If you are using it to view TV/Sports and need a specific country IP, expect 30 to 50% drop in speed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, quandow said:

I can tell you from personal experience ExpressVPN is to be avoided. I would get dropped regularly. NordVPN, on the other hand, has been rock steady for me.

I had problems lately streaming tv lately. Netflix and D-play is a pain in tha ....

You don't need a VPN to stream geographically restricted content.  I stream US TV, AUS TV, BBC I-Player, VUDU, Netflix US and other content using a Proxy that costs me less than 35 baht a month. I have never been denied access or experienced any speed or latency issues in the nearly 2 years I've been using it. It has worked flawlessly using 3BB 20/4, 30/10 VDSL and with my current 100/30 Fiber connection.

• Thanks 1

With PIA you can customize the encryption, so you can select no encryption for cases where you want maximum speed, maximum encryption for when you don’t care about speed, or something in between those extremes.

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

You don't need a VPN to stream geographically restricted content.  I stream US TV, AUS TV, BBC I-Player, VUDU, Netflix US and other content using a Proxy that costs me less than 35 baht a month. I have never been denied access or experienced any speed or latency issues in the nearly 2 years I've been using it. It has worked flawlessly using 3BB 20/4, 30/10 VDSL and with my current 100/30 Fiber connection.

Sounds interesting, what proxy are you using?

About VPNs in Thailand...

One thing the casual user may not be aware of is there are several different types of VPN protocols (types of connections) that can greatly affect your speed, regardless of the ISP...

Obviously, in most cases, using a VPN isn't going to make your connection any faster than the local connection with your ISP that you have (though in rare cases it actually can by avoiding local throttling).  And then, it depends on where you're trying to stream from -- the farther away, the more likely in general to have some speed drop off.

But then, after that, it comes down to tradeoffs between speed and security:

--If you want a very secure connection that's not likely to be snooped on by your ISP or anyone else along the way, you'd probably want to use your VPN provider's Open VPN UDP connection.

--But, if you aren't concerned about security and just want faster speeds for streaming, then you're better off using either a PPTP or L2TP connection with your VPN provider.  The differences in speed between the prior Open VPN type and the PPTP-L2TP type can be considerable, even with the same VPN.

Lastly, I too have tried most of the major VPN providers here, and for streaming speed alone, Astrill VPN has provided the best speeds I've ever gotten from any of them, using their L2TP protocol. Faster than Express, Nord, Torguard, PIA, Vypr, HMA, and various others.

But right now, I'm using Express VPN, because Astrill did not have any discount promotion this year as they usually had in the past at my renewal time, and Express VPN did, plus I wanted to try EVPN just to see how they'd fare and if they'd meet my needs (if nothing else, as a reliable backup option to Astrill).

After a bit of tinkering and exploring, I did find that their L2TP connection on my ASUS router is workable for me, and their Open VPN UDP protocol in their app on my Windows PC is ok.  But their download speeds from U.S. servers typically are running at just enough for HD video, and not much more than that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If you want the max speed while maintaining privacy, I would suggest you look into "SSH Tunneling".

The next closest hop, and where most (all?!) traffic routes through (for Thailand) is SG/Singapore.

So you can get a small VPS with any provider, pre-installed with any version of Linux will work.
Then you ssh into it, and make a tunnel.

Providers such as DigitalOcean and OVH are among a few that have SG options for about $4-5/month.

With Windows, ssh tunnel using putty.  With Mac, ssh built-in, so very easy.

Then you can route all traffic for things through that, and will love the speed.

For example, to route Firefox through it, install FoxyProxy.  There are guides for this on the interwebs.

For Chrome, SwitchyOmega does the same thing.

Another trick to keeping you safe, is to disable WebRTC.  Even with some VPN's and ssh tunneling, dns and rtc leaks can get through, along with your IP with a little known thing called WebRTC.

Check if you leak using:
https://www.doileak.com/

and https://browserleaks.com/webrtc

Some tips on how to disable are on the last site plus you can search as well on that for other guides.

If any questions, happy to help ????

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, matador007 said:

If you want the max speed while maintaining privacy, I would suggest you look into "SSH Tunneling".

The next closest hop, and where most (all?!) traffic routes through (for Thailand) is SG/Singapore.

I think most folks here are looking for a simple solution, one where they can basically download an app from a VPN provider to their PC or mobile devices, install, and then tap the connect switch to their desired server location...

The method you're describing for setting up a VPN server is a pretty far departure from that... It's not exactly plug and play.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am quite happy with my ExpressVPN.

If you read on-line on which VPN services are the best in 2019; Express is always among the best, Nord also seems very good but I never tried it.

I use smart location so I am normally connected to Singapore but uses other addresses sometimes.

I think you will always loose some speed when using a VPN

I too am happy with Express. But please explain to an amateur, why do you have your VPN turned on to Singapore when for example you are connecting to a site in Thailand please.

VPN off, ping 7ms, DL 115, UL 32

Singapore, ping 61, DL 69, UL 26

UK, ping 20, DL 20, UL 1.7

I really only need it for watching UK Telly.

Edited by wgdanson

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I too am happy with Express. But please explain to an amateur, why do you have your VPN turned on to Singapore when for example you are connecting to a site in Thailand please.

VPN off, ping 7ms, DL 115, UL 32

Singapore, ping 61, DL 69, UL 26

UK, ping 20, DL 20, UL 1.7

I really only need it for watching UK Telly.

It depends on why a person is using a VPN....

--if it's to bypass geolocation restrictions for some kind of streaming content, then obviously you'd want to select a VPN server location in an area that's not blocked for the content you want.

--but if you just want to avoid local Thai ISP throttling or have a more secure connection or get a faster connection to a regional internet hub in a place like Singapore, then the closest local server location is going to be your choice.

PS - there's no physical way possible anyone in Thailand could be getting a 20 ms internet ping to the UK... That's more likely measuring to some local internet server.

Matador007 many thanks for the link testing for "leak" and disable WebRTC.

My Firefox was leaking so I new followed https://www.privacyend.com/disable-webrtc-in-various-browsers/

and Firefox via Express VPN is now "tight" after I did another test with doileak.com

As mentioned I normally uses smart VPN connection which is Singapore but I sometimes watch some Danish TV and I have to move my address to DK.

Using a proxy sound interesting, I have to look more into this.

Cheers for an excellent topic with many good posts.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It depends on why a person is using a VPN....

--if it's to bypass geolocation restrictions for some kind of streaming content, then obviously you'd want to select a VPN server location in an area that's not blocked for the content you want.

--but if you just want to avoid local Thai ISP throttling or have a more secure connection or get a faster connection to a regional internet hub in a place like Singapore, then the closest local server location is going to be your choice.

PS - there's no physical way possible anyone in Thailand could be getting a 20 ms internet ping to the UK... That's more likely measuring to some local internet server.

Sorry, my mistake. UK Ping 400.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

and Firefox via Express VPN is now "tight" after I did another test with doileak.com

Anyone using a VPN to avoid or bypass geoblocking restrictions should definitely disable WebRTC in their browsers. There are browser extensions for both Chrome and Firefox that will handle that.

I believe it's also possible to do it in the detailed browser configuration section of Firefox accessed by using the "about" configuration web address

https://www.privacyend.com/disable-webrtc-in-various-browsers/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Matador007 many thanks for the link testing for "leak" and disable WebRTC.

My Firefox was leaking so I new followed https://www.privacyend.com/disable-webrtc-in-various-browsers/

As mentioned I normally uses smart VPN connection which is Singapore but I sometimes watch some Danish TV and I have to move my address to DK.

Using a proxy sound interesting, I have to look more into this.

Cheers for an excellent topic with many good posts.

Two other websites that might turn up slightly different leaks are these:
https://whoer.net/

https://ipleak.net/

• Like 1