What is the best VPN for download speeds in Thailand

oporhatch

9 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

You don't need a VPN to stream geographically restricted content.  I stream US TV, AUS TV, BBC I-Player, VUDU, Netflix US and other content using a Proxy that costs me less than 35 baht a month. I have never been denied access or experienced any speed or latency issues in the nearly 2 years I've been using it. It has worked flawlessly using 3BB 20/4, 30/10 VDSL and with my current 100/30 Fiber connection.

How about being helpful and providing the name of the Proxy?

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Matador007 many thanks for the link testing for "leak" and disable WebRTC.

No problem.  I forgot to mention, that disabling WebRTC protects your IP from exposed (especially with Google/YouTube, etc.).
BUT at the same time, you may disable what are called "Peer to Peer" things.

So something like Google Hangouts, or browser based calling applications, may stop working.

So just something to be aware of.  (Can keep another browser WebRTC-enabled just incase needed.)

Cheers, this is all new to me.

On one test I pass 80% only, hmm.

It must be whoer.net that gave you a rating of 80%. That should tell you why it's not giving a score of 100%. Aside from DNS and WEBRTC leaks, common reasons that whoer deducts points for are the timezone of your computer not matching the city that your VPN server is in and Flash being enabled.

• Like 1

I used to use Private VPN and I watched my throughput drop by 90%. I now use a SOCKS5 proxy through ibVPN and it's a lot better, plus I can define a direct route for specific websites so I only proxy what needs to be proxied for security or anonymity (yes I know SOCKS5 is less secure than a VPN).

In general though, the determining factor will be your local ISP connection, I use a 200Mb fibre line from 3BB and I have to say it beats all the others I've tried here and in the UK by a country mile. YMMV.

Been using PIA...Private Internet Access...for years. Fast, cheap and private...no logging or so they say. Russia recently demanded they start logging usage and they dropped their server in Russia. There are others that also claim no logging that are also excellent. Search around, but I've been 100% satisfied with PIA. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Been using PIA...Private Internet Access...for years. Fast, cheap and private...no logging or so they say. Russia recently demanded they start logging usage and they dropped their server in Russia. There are others that also claim no logging that are also excellent. Search around, but I've been 100% satisfied with PIA. 

I've tried PIA in the past several times from BKK with my 200 Mbps 3BB fiber connection, and PIA's speeds to the U.S. for me have been consistently horrible, even trying different connection protocols with them.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've tried PIA in the past several times from BKK with my 200 Mbps 3BB fiber connection, and PIA's speeds to the U.S. for me have been consistently horrible, even trying different connection protocols with them.

Well that totally sux. Glad I haven't experienced any of that. It ranks very high on all the ratings sites. I have used PIA for years here and also USA...Netherlands, France...Japan and Korea...all just last year without any problems. Fast, reliable and cheap. Have never considered changing and will continue to be a loyal customer. 

Plenty of other good VPNs out there, but perhaps the problem lies on your end? To test it out, as usually don't connect to the USA servers...just connected to Silicon Valley using 4 mbps mobile hotspot from telephone. Here are the results...FAST. Full 100% speed on the DL and nearly full on the Up!

image.png.2152a552cbf82beeac3fa4f2ebaacd93.png

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Well that totally sux. Glad I haven't experienced any of that. It ranks very high on all the ratings sites. I have used PIA for years here and also USA...Netherlands, France...Japan and Korea...all just last year without any problems. Fast, reliable and cheap. Have never considered changing and will continue to be a loyal customer. 

Plenty of other good VPNs out there, but perhaps the problem lies on your end? To test it out, as usually don't connect to the USA servers...just connected to Silicon Valley using 4 mbps mobile hotspot from telephone. Here are the results...FAST. Full 100% speed on the DL and nearly full on the Up!

image.png.2152a552cbf82beeac3fa4f2ebaacd93.png

My experience with PIA has been better than that.  I just ran a speedtest.net while connected to a PIA server in Miami and a speed test server in Miami.  I got 36.70 Mbps down and 5.22 Mbps up.  Then I disconnected the VPN and tested to the same speedtest server in Miami and I got 36.76 Mbps down and 7.44 Mbps up.   I’m in Chiang Mai, the Internet connection is AIS’s 200/50 Fibre, and I used the default encryption settings in PIA, and for the speedtest I used a Windows 10 PC connected to Wifi on the 2.4 Ghz band.

2 hours ago, pogba45 said:

I am personally using PureVPN, its speed is quite good and it does work good with many streaming services like Netflix and Amazon prime, specially its candaian server is working well with netflix currently.  

I did a new VPN agreement a couple months back, and as part of that, trialed about a half dozen different VPN services, including Pure, if I recall...

At that time, Amazon had just redone their security technology for their Amazon Prime Video U.S. website, and almost any VPN service I tried with Amazon was getting only a "proxy error" message -- even from VPN services that claimed they worked with Amazon. But when you got onto chat with them, their reps ended up admitting the Amazon change had blocked access and they were all working to find workarounds.

One of the few that did/does actually still work with Amazon Prime Video U.S. was Express VPN. Not all of their servers, but at least a few of them do still work.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

A post promoting a personal bog has been removed.

From the Forum Rules:

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method. Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:41 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

About VPNs in Thailand...

One thing the casual user may not be aware of is there are several different types of VPN protocols (types of connections) that can greatly affect your speed, regardless of the ISP...

Obviously, in most cases, using a VPN isn't going to make your connection any faster than the local connection with your ISP that you have (though in rare cases it actually can by avoiding local throttling).  And then, it depends on where you're trying to stream from -- the farther away, the more likely in general to have some speed drop off.

But then, after that, it comes down to tradeoffs between speed and security:

--If you want a very secure connection that's not likely to be snooped on by your ISP or anyone else along the way, you'd probably want to use your VPN provider's Open VPN UDP connection.

--But, if you aren't concerned about security and just want faster speeds for streaming, then you're better off using either a PPTP or L2TP connection with your VPN provider.  The differences in speed between the prior Open VPN type and the PPTP-L2TP type can be considerable, even with the same VPN.

Lastly, I too have tried most of the major VPN providers here, and for streaming speed alone, Astrill VPN has provided the best speeds I've ever gotten from any of them, using their L2TP protocol. Faster than Express, Nord, Torguard, PIA, Vypr, HMA, and various others.

But right now, I'm using Express VPN, because Astrill did not have any discount promotion this year as they usually had in the past at my renewal time, and Express VPN did, plus I wanted to try EVPN just to see how they'd fare and if they'd meet my needs (if nothing else, as a reliable backup option to Astrill).

After a bit of tinkering and exploring, I did find that their L2TP connection on my ASUS router is workable for me, and their Open VPN UDP protocol in their app on my Windows PC is ok.  But their download speeds from U.S. servers typically are running at just enough for HD video, and not much more than that.

Forgive me, but I have absolutely no idea what you have written here.  I would suggest that if you want to give helpful advice to most people on this forum, you use language and explanations that we can all follow. It's a real pity, because what you are trying to explain is probably very useful and interesting, but I will never know. 

• Like 1

what about the best VPN comparing service and pricing... read many different opinions but nobody provided service/speed/price comparison

I have been using (all over Asia) Express VPN for the past 6 years, happy with the service and the speeds subscription around 90 USD for 15 months

Unfortunately, the moderator deleted my post regarding this topic. I asked why to better understand what rule I violated to avoid the problem in the future.  As a result, I will give a more consolidated version of my deleted post. 

It is not so much the VPN provider as it is the client machine.  A desktop or laptop computer with an Intel CPU will get much better VPN performance when compared to a consumer grade router.  My first adventure was installing VPN on a D-Link router so all of the devices in my household could use the VPN tunnel.  But I got poor download speed.  The CPUs in most consumer grade routers can't handle the workload of encrypting the traffic which results in the slow VPN speed.  I could get much better speed using the VPN Desktop Client on my laptop.

To solve my problem, I converted an old Windows 7 PC to a pfSense appliance.  The box has an Intel i5 CPU that supports AES-NI.  AES-NI is able to accelerate the encryption and speed up performance. This past year, Asus has released two routers with CPUs that have encryption built in: RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U.  Users of these models have reported improved VPN performance. 

The other issue is the level of encryption you select.  In my own testing and benchmarking with other VPN users, I have determined that the GCM ciphers will give you the best performance.  AES-128-CBC used to be the go to cipher for speed.  But, AES-128-GCM has now replaced it.

Lastly, distance to VPN server is a big factor. For example, I get 2x the speed if I connect to a server in Bangkok compared to a server in LA.

My blog post contains an article on OpenVPN performance and the factors that influence it. 

• Like 2

The other point I forgot to mention is the architecture of OpenVPN. It is single core threaded. As a result, OpenVPN can't take advantage of multi-core processors. 

Here is a quick summary of the different VPN protocols.

1) OpenVPN is probably the most in use when compared to others - mostly due to heavy advertising by the VPN Service Providers and the portable nature of the OVPN stack.  Just too bad that performance is a bit of a challenge with OVPN.  But it is very secure when properly configured.

2) Shadowsocks - probably number 2 - because of the Great Firewall - size matters, and the mainland is what it is.

3) Wireguard - creeping up the chart. I am seeing more support for client platforms by some of the VPN providers.  You can install the package on OpenWRT and Asus RT-AC86U routers.  Very fast performance when compared to OpenVPN.  Some AC86U users I know have been experimenting with it.  However, WireGuard is not yet complete. You should not rely on this code. It has not undergone proper degrees of security auditing and the protocol is still subject to change. They are working toward a stable 1.0 release, but that time has not yet come.

4) ZeroTier - This might be the one to keep an eye on - concept wise it's a bit different, as it's an SD-WAN approach - which is a different step, and takes a mind readjustment perhaps to understand what their doing.  Looks like a better for for an enterprise implementation.

5) Legacy approaches - Obviously we have legacy and proprietary approaches as well - legacy like PPTP. PPTP should just go away, except that's it fast, and private enough for some uses (not everyone in a coffee shop is a blackhat hacker), and then the business oriented stuff like AnyConnect from Cisco and similar from Juniper, etc...

Standalone stuff like L2TP/IPSec - which is supported by many OS's on the client side, is still relevant...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xentrk said:

The other point I forgot to mention is the architecture of OpenVPN. It is single core threaded. As a result, OpenVPN can't take advantage of multi-core processors. 

Here is a quick summary of the different VPN protocols.

1) OpenVPN is probably the most in use when compared to others - mostly due to heavy advertising by the VPN Service Providers and the portable nature of the OVPN stack.  Just too bad that performance is a bit of a challenge with OVPN.  But it is very secure when properly configured.

2) Shadowsocks - probably number 2 - because of the Great Firewall - size matters, and the mainland is what it is.

3) Wireguard - creeping up the chart. I am seeing more support for client platforms by some of the VPN providers.  You can install the package on OpenWRT and Asus RT-AC86U routers.  Very fast performance when compared to OpenVPN.  Some AC86U users I know have been experimenting with it.  However, WireGuard is not yet complete. You should not rely on this code. It has not undergone proper degrees of security auditing and the protocol is still subject to change. They are working toward a stable 1.0 release, but that time has not yet come.

4) ZeroTier - This might be the one to keep an eye on - concept wise it's a bit different, as it's an SD-WAN approach - which is a different step, and takes a mind readjustment perhaps to understand what their doing.  Looks like a better for for an enterprise implementation.

5) Legacy approaches - Obviously we have legacy and proprietary approaches as well - legacy like PPTP. PPTP should just go away, except that's it fast, and private enough for some uses (not everyone in a coffee shop is a blackhat hacker), and then the business oriented stuff like AnyConnect from Cisco and similar from Juniper, etc...

Standalone stuff like L2TP/IPSec - which is supported by many OS's on the client side, is still relevant...

Your post above is a good contribution to the topic... Two comments...

1. AFAIK, most of the bigger, better known commercial VPN providers don't offer most of the higher level connection protocols you've listed above... Usually, it's some combination of Open VPN UDP and TCP, L2TP, PPTP, IKEv2, and maybe one or two others...  Maybe in the future, but not right now, based on all the various VPN services that I've trialed and used.

2. I absolutely agree about the performance divergence on using an OpenVPN connection on a typical consumer grade router vs. using it as an app on a PC. On my ASUS consumer router, I get terrible speeds/throughputs from my VPNs with any OpenVPN configuration, but switch to L2TP or PPTP on the router, and its much much faster. But when using a VPN app directly on a PC, in my experience, the performance gap is much smaller, although PPTP and L2TP usually come out somewhat faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@tallguyjohninbkk

Yes, the OpenVPN and legacy protocols will continue to reign. For how long, I can’t predict. The new protocols are not yet supported by commercial VPN providers. The only exception I know of that support WireGuard are:

AzireVPN, Mullvad, IVPN + TorGuard

AzireVPN https://www.azirevpn.com/cfg/wg
Mullvad https://mullvad.net/en/servers/#wireguard
IVPN https://www.ivpn.net/wireguard
TorGuard https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=250

I am monitoring a group of Asus RT-AC86U users who are testing with it on another forum.  Early reports on performance and speed are excellent. WireGuard supports multi core whereas OpenVPN is single core threaded. WireGuard is a work in progress while OpenVPN remains stable, in wide use, secure and very portable.

For those who like to tinker and want to chase bandwidth when using OpenVPN on a router, I encourage you to look into pfSense firmware. Bit of a learning curve but there are good blog and YouTube set up guides on the net. Go to your local computer mall and pick up a used PC with at least an Intel i5. Make sure the CPU supports AES-NI. You may also have to buy a second network card. You then download the firmware img file on a USB and boot up with the stick plugged it. You follow a few prompts and the web GUI will be installed. There are guides on how to flash on the net. I’ve also seen some small desktop units made by third parties on two major Chinese Amazon type stores on the net. The units are not endorsed by the Netgate, the company that supports pfSense development.

The past year also brought about an improvement of CPUs that support encryption acceleration in a few models of consumer grade routers. So, things are starting to look up for the dreaded OpenVPN performance issue. 

A search on the net for “poor OpenVPN performance” will show how widespread the issue is.

31 minutes ago, Xentrk said:

The past year also brought about an improvement of CPUs that support encryption acceleration in a few models of consumer grade routers. So, things are starting to look up for the dreaded OpenVPN performance issue. 

My simple solution is just to switch to using the L2TP protocol that's available in the VPN firmware of my lower-level ASUS router, (and also available in the settings of my VPN provider's PC app), and be done with it.

Until either A] I get a new and better router, and/or B] more VPN providers start offering a faster and more secure connection protocol compared to OpenVPN.

8 hours ago, Xentrk said:

For those who like to tinker and want to chase bandwidth when using OpenVPN on a router, I encourage you to look into pfSense firmware. Bit of a learning curve but there are good blog and YouTube set up guides on the net. Go to your local computer mall and pick up a used PC with at least an Intel i5. Make sure the CPU supports AES-NI. You may also have to buy a second network card. You then download the firmware img file on a USB and boot up with the stick plugged it. You follow a few prompts and the web GUI will be installed. There are guides on how to flash on the net. I’ve also seen some small desktop units made by third parties on two major Chinese Amazon type stores on the net. The units are not endorsed by the Netgate, the company that supports pfSense development.

I’m tempted to setup a pfSense device to have a project to work on but I’m not so sure that it would be solving a problem that I presently have.  One thing I’m not sure of it whether it makes more sense to do that rather than to just wait for Asus’s AX routers to become more widely available.  Would you expect a performance improvement from using pfSense on an i5 machine versus the newer Asus routers that you mentioned?  Also, now I’m using PIA’s windows client app on each of my PCs and android devices.  Usually when I benchmark to speedtest servers in the US I get 20 to 40 Mbps download speeds with or without being connected to the VPN.  There aren’t  a lot of things that I do online that actually need faster internet than that, so it occurs to me that taking on a project like that would just be for the sake of learning and perhaps getting better benchmarking results.

Incidentally, I love your blog.  There’s lots of useful information there.

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

I’m tempted to setup a pfSense device to have a project to work on but I’m not so sure that it would be solving a problem that I presently have.  One thing I’m not sure of it whether it makes more sense to do that rather than to just wait for Asus’s AX routers to become more widely available.  Would you expect a performance improvement from using pfSense on an i5 machine versus the newer Asus routers that you mentioned?  Also, now I’m using PIA’s windows client app on each of my PCs and android devices.  Usually when I benchmark to speedtest servers in the US I get 20 to 40 Mbps download speeds with or without being connected to the VPN.  There aren’t  a lot of things that I do online that actually need faster internet than that, so it occurs to me that taking on a project like that would just be for the sake of learning and perhaps getting better benchmarking results.

Incidentally, I love your blog.  There’s lots of useful information there.

Thank you @Suzannegoh,

I asked a new owner of an Asus RT-AX88U to run some performance benchmarks for me so we can compare with my pfSense build.  I'll post the results once I get the numbers. 

One major item I use to gauge performance in addition to the speed test results, is the ability to watch streaming media without experiencing buffering. Despite the poor OpenVPN performance of my RT-AC88U, I was able to watch streaming media from half way across the globe with no buffering. 

I helped an expat here in Chiang Mai with her streaming media needs.  She has a 50 up/30 down DSL package from 3BB installed.   We installed the TorGuard VPN app on her Amazon FireTV device.  I helped her configure the settings to use the lowest encryption levels.  She is able to watch streaming media with no buffering issues.  One thing I really like about the FireTV devices is their small size and portability.  I have one that I take with me when traveling.  It allows me to watch content that I like in my hotel room and not be restricted to the channel choices on the local TV.  Most TVs in hotel rooms are high def with an HDMI port.  But, I did stay in a dated resort last year that had the old tube style TV.  So, my streaming was limited to my iPad or Laptop. 

I'll post the metrics on the AX88U once I get them.  Stay tuned..

As regards to VPNs and streaming services, particularly the big ones from the U.S., one of the things I've noticed lately is using and choosing different VPN connection protocols, even for the same city server location, can affect you're ability to avoid being blocked by the streaming service VPN/proxy errors.

For example, when I switched to a new VPN provider a couple of months ago, I had to go about testing which of its server city locations AND different protocols would or would not work with different U.S. streaming services. And I found, to my surprise, that even when choosing the same city server location, in some cases, an Open VPN connection via the app on my PC would work fine, but if I tried a L2TP connection in the same app, the streaming service would return a VPN/proxy error.

I have no idea why that's the case, but it certainly proved out as I went about testing my connection ability to services like Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., which have been getting more aggressive about trying to block VPN connections. It may be a case of the different VPN protocol having some impact, or it may simply be that using a different protocol happens to produce a different IP connection address that the streaming services don't have on their block list.

Either way, for anyone wanting to connect to those kinds of services with a VPN who happens to encounter the VPN/proxy error that blocks your ability to use them, it's worth taking a bit of time to cycle thru the different VPN protocol connections you might have available from your VPN provider (PPTP, L2TP, Open VPN) and try connecting to the streaming service separately for each, and see the results.

Here is some information regarding OpenVPN performance for the Asus RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U routers with the Broadcom CPUs that support hardware acceleration. I have no personal experience with these models, only passing on information I have read. The CPU in the RT-AX88U is the same as the CPU in the RT-AC86U. So, the performance reported by the AC86U users should also apply to the AX88U.

hardware-acceleration-is-here-for-routers-using-openvpn

Regarding WireGuard vs. OpenVPN.

I'm a TorGuard subscriber. They currently support four WireGuard servers in NYC. They have instructions on how to install on the gl-inet travel router. I currently own the AR-300M model.

Had issues with their instructions as I was on the current production 2.27 firmware and their instructions use the Beta firmware. I did some searching and found the beta link here https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/release_notes/gl-ar300m/. I had to install the tar file on this page http://download.gl-inet.com/firmware/ar300m/nand/testing/

Once, I upgraded the firmware, the configuration was a snap.

Unfortunately, I can't report great speeds when compared to the AC86U. The travel router is probably constrained by the Qualcomm QCA9531 SoC, 650MHz CPU along with the location of the servers in NYC, which is half way across the globe from my location. However, notable difference when compared to OpenVPN.

WireGuard  OVPN aes-128-gcm

Down        32.97               5.96

Up            18.59               8.27

Latency   316.00            305.00

Still, good to see some progress being made and it will be interesting to see how things progress. If I get some time later this week, I will test using the Android client.  Windows 10 client is not ready yet. 

If you have a VPN provider that supports WireGuard, the list of currently supported client packages are listed on the page https://www.wireguard.com/install/.

And it looks like NordVPN is testing WireGuard as well.

https://www.takesontech.com/nordvpn-is-testing-the-adoption-of-the-wireguard-protocol

Edited by Xentrk

A lot of the vpn providers use leased lines, if your after better speeds it's best to use a commercial/corporate vpn provider, I use CNS vpn, while it's not the cheapest they have their own network, and also several options for ip, being shared private and even tor

I am using Witopia VPN.

I don't know if they are the fastest, or the best, but they are very reliable, and on the really odd occasion I have had to contact support, they have been available with 2 minutes for a live chat, 24/7, and the problem was their Bangkok server went down, which is out of their control, but they order a reboot and it's usually all good shortly after.

Their prices are reasonable and they have heaps of servers all around the world. 

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Does anyone know a bit about these companies that protect your privacy by changing DNS addresses?

I'm not an IT guru but as far as privacy, are they similar to a VPN? 

I'm on this one at the moment.  They claim to be the fastest and keep no logs and reduce data mining.

https://www.cloudflare.com/

Cloudfare's DNS servers are fast but they do not spoof your geographic location; sites that you visit will still know that you are in Thailand.