British lawmakers instruct May to demand EU reopen Brexitdeal; EU says 'No'

webfact

British lawmakers instruct May to demand EU reopen Brexitdeal; EU says 'No'

By Kylie MacLellan, William James and Elizabeth Piper

2019-01-29T222600Z_1_LYNXNPEF0S1WR_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Prime Minister Theresa May talks about Brexit 'plan B' in Parliament, in London, Britain, January 29, 2019. Text in documents removed at source. UK Parliament/Jessica Taylor/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - British lawmakers on Tuesday instructed Prime Minister Theresa May to demand that Brussels replace the Irish border arrangement known as the "backstop", in a last-ditch attempt to renegotiate an exit treaty that the European Union says it will not change.

The amendment, put forward by influential Conservative lawmaker Graham Brady, passed by 317 votes to 301, and is intended to strengthen May's hand when she returns to Brussels to try to renegotiate - something the EU again ruled out within minutes of the vote.

With two months left until Britain is due by law to leave the EU, investors and allies have urged the British government to clinch a deal to allow an orderly exit from the club it joined in 1973.

"Tonight, a majority of honourable members have said they would support a deal with changes to the backstop," May said, only two weeks after her divorce deal was crushed in the biggest parliamentary defeat in modern British history.

"It is now clear that there is a route that can secure a substantial and sustainable majority in the house for leaving the EU with a deal," May said, adding she would seek "legally binding changes".

The amendment calls for the backstop to be replaced with unspecified "alternative arrangements" to avoid the reintroduction of border checks in Ireland, and says parliament would support May's Brexit deal if this change were made.

However, Brussels has repeatedly said it does not want to reopen the treaty, which has been signed off by the other 27 EU leaders, and has said the "backstop" is needed as a guarantee to ensure there can be no return to a hard border between Ireland and the British province of Northern Ireland.

Speaking immediately after the vote in the British parliament, a spokesman for European Council President Donald Tusk said the backstop was part of the withdrawal deal and was not up for negotiation.

Lawmakers rejected two amendments setting out a path for parliament to prevent a no-deal exit if May cannot get a deal passed next month. However, they did later approve a symbolic proposal calling on the government to stop a potentially disorderly no-deal exit.

The so-called Spelman amendment, passed by 318 votes to 310, "rejects the United Kingdom leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship".

It sends a signal that parliament as a whole opposes leaving the EU without a negotiated agreement, which will happen by default on March 29 if no alternative is agreed, but does not compel the government to prevent such a departure or provide a mechanism for doing so.

Sterling, which recently hit a 2-1/2-month high of $1.3218 on hopes that a no-deal Brexit would be avoided, fell about 0.7 percent after lawmakers voted down efforts to prevent a no-deal exit. [GBP/]

Opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said he would meet May to "find a sensible Brexit solution that works for the whole country", listing changes that Labour wanted to see.

(Additional reporting by Andy Bruce and Andrew MacAskill in London and Gabriela Baczynska in Brussels; Writing by Michael Holden and Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-30

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the farce continues. If only May was removed and someone who believes in Brexit was in charge. I find it boring and so predictable now. More interesting for me is waiting for the next GE and those like Cooper et al will be crying when they are booted out by the electorate.

"...British lawmakers on Tuesday instructed Prime Minister Theresa May to demand that Brussels replace the Irish border arrangement known as the "backstop", in a last-ditch attempt to renegotiate an exit treaty that the European Union says it will not change..."

Why would the EU re-open the negotiations? How is it in their benefit? And what will the UK do if the EU says "No!"; will you leave then?

Bloody hell, UK, you said that you were going to leave, so leave already. In my view leaving the EU is a terrible policy, one of the worst public policy decisions I have seen in my lifetime, but you said you were going to go, so go. Suffer the consequences and go. Pay the price and go.

Stop whingeing and go.

Just go.

Meet the gang, cos the boys are here

the boys to entertain you

with music and laughter to help you on your way

raising the rafters with a hey hey hey

Tragic but it has its funny side, brexit means brexit, leave means leave, why is the world shaking with laughter?

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Meet the gang, cos the boys are here

the boys to entertain you

with music and laughter to help you on your way

raising the rafters with a hey hey hey

Tragic but it has its funny side, brexit means brexit, leave means leave, why is the world shaking with laughter?

2fb1f0ff1589fb03ffa4814f3aef0929.jpg

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well the farce continues. If only May was removed and someone who believes in Brexit was in charge. I find it boring and so predictable now. More interesting for me is waiting for the next GE and those like Cooper et al will be crying when they are booted out by the electorate.

One might almost say: "Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."

Brexiteer blames everyone for the cluster Brexit is except those who voted for it.

What a theater. It was clear from the start that there would be no further renegotiations. There will be no special conditions a la Thatcher anymore. The EU club rules are and were clear from the beginning.  The exit with no deal is better now. Clear for all. Pity, but good luck for the uk.

removed?

a bit weird looking at this

it is rather clear that UK politicians just love Ms May and they

happily let her lead this

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This Brexiteer is not blaming everyone. Just the MP's who should be doing there job, especially Mrs May who is supposedly in charge. Clear enough!

MPs, including the PM have other duties besides attending to the planless Brexit you voted for.

Not least amongst which are the security and prosperity of the nation.

And, though it seems not to matter to you, representing the whole of their constituents/nation.

Now that Westminster has concluded that they want changes to be made to the deal,

in the area of backstop and NI border:

Have a nice trip to Brussels Ms May!

Fixing the deal can be done, the question is,

is there any political will to do it?

If EU should look into this issue:

Which would be the correct procedure now that the Council of Ministers

has given the deal and cover the final nod?

Would it require a nod from the same Council to start handling this?

What is the proper MO here?

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

MPs, including the PM have other duties besides attending to the planless Brexit you voted for.

Yes they do but the Brexit I voted for which has been done to death here has not been acted on.

And, though it seems not to matter to you, representing the whole of their constituents/nation.

So where is your evidence for this or you just talking the usual nonsense.

Not least amongst which are the security and prosperity of the nation

You make this sound like the MPs actually care about the people.????

Theresa has to go back to a supposedly non-negotiating EU to try again for the backstop. How’s that going to work? Actually there’s been signs of EU fracture during the recent weeks.
Serves her and Angela right. How could they possibly think they could cook up a bad deal to be presented as a fait accompli? They both knew it would have to go before Parliament and should have got it passed before revealing their collusive hand. Lol as they say.
Neither of them bargained for the ERG and Tory rebels. At least some of the MPs are looking out for the UK interests and democracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The tariff war with the clown trump has led to, that all US bourbon whiskeys have become significantly more expensive. The same thing will happen with the delicious scotch whiskey soon. But there are still very good Irish brands. I hope the remaining 27 EU states will stand firmly on the side of ireland.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Grantham and Stamford Conservatives are considering deselecting their MP, Nick Boles, because they regard his attempts to prevent a no-deal Brexit as “petulant, self-serving and disloyal”

Now this is what I expect to see more and more. Well done to these.

It was taken from here ''before the prove it brigade' start shouting.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/threat-to-boles-shows-whats-at-stake-for-the-tories-h6v0rx0qv

16 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Just hope EU doesn't move one inch, too much is too much. Hard Brexit is the only way to go, and the Lord will protect his own...

Absolute. it is enough.

Do not keep travellers from travelling.

So far the brexit has cost a lot.

Now it does not matter anymore.

This self-centered, vexatious whining is no longer appropriate.

I’m wondering what May’s proposal will be she believes she has a “clear mandate” for. Or will she go back to Brussels again telling everyone that the UK voted for pink unicorns, so Brussels has to give pink unicorns?

Also, what can May bring to the table that would bring the EU27 to the table?

Spain would probably be open to discuss Gibraltar again. 

France, one of the biggest opponents against opening negotiations again, could potentially be won over by throwing in fishing rights. 

Germany, especially under Merkel, tends to be pragmatic and would be probably be fine as long as there is meaningful and realistic proposal that is not wasting everyone’s time again. Maybe limiting the time of the backstop to 20 years or so. 

Other countries? 

44 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Now that Westminster has concluded that they want changes to be made to the deal,

I don't know but it seems more and more firms are finding their own MO, leaving for the EU countries or making contingencies for leaving, no doubt Brexiteers will be frothing at the mouth when the auto firms and airbus leave, I cant believe BMW will continue with their state of the art engine factory at Hams Hall since they now have to be very cost conscious. There will be shouts to rejoin the EU (only if you take the Euro) in 5 years and all this will seem like a bad dream.

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m wondering what May’s proposal will be she believes she has a “clear mandate” for. Or will she go back to Brussels again telling everyone that the UK voted for pink unicorns, so Brussels has to give pink unicorns?

Also, what can May bring to the table that would bring the EU27 to the table?

Spain would probably be open to discuss Gibraltar again. 

France, one of the biggest opponents against opening negotiations again, could potentially be won over by throwing in fishing rights. 

Germany, especially under Merkel, tends to be pragmatic and would be probably be fine as long as there is meaningful and realistic proposal that is not wasting everyone’s time again. Maybe limiting the time of the backstop to 20 years or so. 

Other countries? 

i think the poland and romanians are not good at talking about the uk. The degrading expressions hurt those. Those who did diligently the work that many Britons do not want to do.

25 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Grantham and Stamford Conservatives are considering deselecting their MP, Nick Boles, because they regard his attempts to prevent a no-deal Brexit as “petulant, self-serving and disloyal”

Now this is what I expect to see more and more. Well done to these.

It was taken from here ''before the prove it brigade' start shouting.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/threat-to-boles-shows-whats-at-stake-for-the-tories-h6v0rx0qv

At least Boles acts in line with what he thinks is right,

not all politicians do that.

26 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

But he is there to represent his constituents not represent himself and that is the problem with politics today. Self serving and thinking they know best. What is the point of voting, if your elected representative, does their own thing!

This Brexiteer is not blaming everyone. Just the MP's who should be doing there job, especially Mrs May who is supposedly in charge. Clear enough!

I agree!

What a shower! 

I watched the the whole thing; cost me a fortune in whisky!

The Tories are ONLY interested in the Tories

Corbyn wants to be aBrexiter in the north andaremainer in the south and is completely in effectual

No leadership to be seen anywhere 

At least the SNP speak clearly and know what they want

Good speech by Ken Clark

Maybe a revolution is required?

44 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Pretty much all MPs overwhelmingly voted for the British citizens to have a say whether we remain or leave the EU, 544 in favour and 53 against, all SNP MPs.

On the subject of signing Article 50, 498 MPs agreed, whilst only 114 were against, that surely gives a very strong signal that the country and the MPs are unanimous in leaving the EU. If they had any doubts at the time they surely should not have signed Article 50. What mixed messages does that send out to the country when MPs are reneging on promises that they agreed to, it would say to me that these MPs cannot be trusted, and may one day regret their actions.

It was good to see that 14 Labour MPs voted against Yvettes Coopers bill to try and derail brexit.

Still a long way to go yet, it feels like we are going forward two steps, then coming back one step.

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

The obvious solution is EEC2

Fixes everything

Not even discussed

Looks like crash out, followed by a scrabble toward some arrangement from a crisis. Pathetic

When Britain first, at heaven's command,
Arose from out the azure main,
Arose, arose, arose from out the azure main,
This was the Charter, the Charter of the land,
And Guardian Angels sang this strain:
Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.
The nations not so blest as thee
Must in their turn to tyrants fall,
Must in their turn to tyrants fall,
While thou shalt flourish, so great and free,
The dread and envy of them all.
Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.
Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
More dreadful from each foreign stroke,
More dreadful from each foreign stroke,
As the loud blast that tears the skies,
Serves but to root thy native oak.
Rule,

Errrr  yeah !  Righto.

Archived