British lawmakers instruct May to demand EU reopen Brexitdeal; EU says 'No'

webfact

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Why any EU negotiator will have any confidence, a new agreement would lead to an enthusiastic House of Commons when concluded ? Remind, THIS amendment was accepted with 318 for and 301 against.

Just 60 days and British beef will be 12,5% more expensive into the EU, British personal cars: + 10 % ( bye-bye Nissin in Sunderland etc ), all foods from the U.K. will be considered from outside, so every importer has to treat this as being the manufacturer inside the EU = a LOT of  D O C U M E N T A T I O N to show sufficient precautions are made to prove food safety enough, as FSA is no longer - by law - accepted. etc.  

The problem is, too many British still live in the 20's and 30's of the British Empire.

If the EU want to mess with us they will be the net losers

Without our generous donations and trade, the EU know

they are on shaky ground. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, vogie said:

But the customs union has many downsides that have not attracted much media coverage.While the loss of independent trade and regulatory policy have been discussed – and these are important – I will focus on some areas that have been less in the public domain.

First, almost nobody – not even Norway or Switzerland – is in a customs union with the EU. Turkey is, but its situation is so skewed against it that the country is seeking to renegotiate. Turkey, of course, entered its customs arrangement as a stepping stone to full membership. We are heading in the opposite direction. Tariffs, quotas, trade agreements – these are all important parts of our economic policy that would no longer be decided by those we elect in this country.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/22/customs-union-trade-policies-steel-garment-imports-brexit

Thank you

Good piece! Guardian, but written by Greg Hands. Some interesting stuff.

I feel some adjusted version is the way to go.

Good to get into the fine detail. This is the sort of stuff we should have been discussing over the past 30 months!

Thanks again for digging that out!

Did you see the piece I posted about Switzerland and the EU?

My point is that we can ALL have most of our cake AND eat most of our cake.

The optimal solution is to leave the EU (though I don't like that) but agree "CU" and "SM" a la carte treaties to avoid damage to industry and remove any requirement for an Irish border.

In the absence of compromise, the damage will be monumental and will last two generations.

May is currently pissing into the wind. Can women do that with any chance of success? They seem to be able to do that competently hanging off the stern rail, but up front? Facing into an EU headwind? I can see disaster coming. Sou'Westers all hands!

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

How much will the EU make with customs revenues from the UK? Not so sure if that doesn’t offset the budget contributions. Either way, it’ll be 27 countries shouldering it ????

16 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

How much will the EU make with customs revenues from the UK? Not so sure if that doesn’t offset the budget contributions. Either way, it’ll be 27 countries shouldering it ????

There must be something wrong with me!

I just don't see this as a war!

Both the UK and the EU want a sound business partnership. It is NOT a Zero sum game.

Some close relationship a la N or CH is the Nash Equilibrium solution as it delivers what was promised with the least harm to EVERYONE. ????

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/03/29/article-50-the-eu-will-drive-a-hard-bargain/

Nash equibrium WRT Brexit discussion. Heavy, but worth it. This the sort of things I expect MPs to consider; not pre-school trivialities like who's turn is it in the sandpit!

23 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Thank you

Good piece! Guardian, but written by Greg Hands. Some interesting stuff.

I feel some adjusted version is the way to go.

Good to get into the fine detail. This is the sort of stuff we should have been discussing over the past 30 months!

Thanks again for digging that out!

Did you see the piece I posted about Switzerland and the EU?

My point is that we can ALL have most of our cake AND eat most of our cake.

The optimal solution is to leave the EU (though I don't like that) but agree "CU" and "SM" a la carte treaties to avoid damage to industry and remove any requirement for an Irish border.

In the absence of compromise, the damage will be monumental and will last two generations.

May is currently pissing into the wind. Can women do that with any chance of success? They seem to be able to do that competently hanging off the stern rail, but up front? Facing into an EU headwind? I can see disaster coming. Sou'Westers all hands!

The problems we have grouse is that you don't want to leave the EU, period. Whatever solution you suggest it comes with baggage and restrictions. Yes I did look at Switzerland and the EU, that also comes with baggage.

"Around 55% of Swiss exportsexternal link head to the EU (6% of EU exports go to Switzerland), but the Swiss government has itself admittedexternal link that “the existing barriers to market access place Switzerland at an economic disadvantage"

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/eu-negotiations_would-the-swiss-model-suit-a-post-brexit-britain/42128110

The plans you are coming up with might suit you but that is not what the country voted for, we are never going to see eye to eye on this, its no good coming up with ideas that will only cause problems further down the road. We need to leave the EU with clutching as little of the apron strings as possible.

Peeing in the wind is fine if it happens to be blowing away from you.

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

The problems we have grouse is that you don't want to leave the EU, period. Whatever solution you suggest it comes with baggage and restrictions. Yes I did look at Switzerland and the EU, that also comes with baggage.

"Around 55% of Swiss exportsexternal link head to the EU (6% of EU exports go to Switzerland), but the Swiss government has itself admittedexternal link that “the existing barriers to market access place Switzerland at an economic disadvantage"

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/eu-negotiations_would-the-swiss-model-suit-a-post-brexit-britain/42128110

The plans you are coming up with might suit you but that is not what the country voted for, we are never going to see eye to eye on this, its no good coming up with ideas that will only cause problems further down the road. We need to leave the EU with clutching as little of the apron strings as possible.

Peeing in the wind is fine if it happens to be blowing away from you.

I thought of a story there but it would be off topic. ????

53 minutes ago, Grouse said:

There must be something wrong with me!

I just don't see this as a war!

Both the UK and the EU want a sound business partnership. It is NOT a Zero sum game.

Some close relationship a la N or CH is the Nash Equilibrium solution as it delivers what was promised with the least harm to EVERYONE. ????

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/03/29/article-50-the-eu-will-drive-a-hard-bargain/

Nash equibrium WRT Brexit discussion. Heavy, but worth it. This the sort of things I expect MPs to consider; not pre-school trivialities like who's turn is it in the sandpit!

I wasn’t talking about a war either. But it is a realistic possibility that there will be import duties and that it could be difficult to abolish them once people got used to the additional revenue stream. 

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Please explain that to the Brexiteers who seem to be mathematically challenged, they just can not work out even the simplest sum 0+0= 

47 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

There is still a bit missing. I had calculated out of interest, the loss of purchasing power of the British pound for the M2 money amount since july 2016. Loss around 250 billions.

When you count the loss of value of land and houses, it gets very very dark.

Cheers.

5 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

There is still a bit missing. I had calculated out of interest, the loss of purchasing power of the British pound for the M2 money amount since july 2016.

Around 250 billions. Cheers.

Could you include your calculations please??

Just heard the debate in the EU parliament. The liberal Verhofstadt said something interesting. All members of a parliament should first put the well-being of there country at first place. Before own party ideologies and before their own constituency. Actually a matter of course or not?

6 hours ago, talahtnut said:

so 26 nations are going to shake because of one debt ridden bankrupt benefit scrounging country,somehow i think not,you have been drinking in spoonies with folks like this for too long.

50574230_1183913548431750_8118535787798069248_n.jpg

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Just heard the debate in the EU parliament. The liberal Verhofstadt said something interesting. All members of a parliament should first put the well-being of there country at first place. Before own party ideologies and before their own constituency. Actually a matter of course or not?

Surely, somewhere in CELEX, there must be some reasonably clear guiding text

stating the role/purpose of MEPs.

Cater for country, constituency or party manifesto or even the well-being of EU and its institutions.

surviving with a £ worth 30-35bt will be great fun.

How many of you Remainers are teachers here? Guess it’s a similar demographic.
I understand that most of them get Baht salaries? Not many of the posters appear to be putting principles and consideration for the sole of UK above their own personal positions.

For some of you, isn’t your pocket money paid locally in Baht?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How many of you brexit supporters live in Thailand??

Not sure in Thailand but I know a lot that live in Europe that were pro Brexit and look at them now... worried.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/31/britons-living-in-eu-call-on-may-to-secure-healthcare-for-pensioners?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Send them back to the cold and let the NHS take care of them. If the British want to make foreigners unwelcoming then I have no sympathy for British immigrants.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived