British lawmakers instruct May to demand EU reopen Brexitdeal; EU says 'No'

webfact

21 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But he is there to represent his constituents not represent himself and that is the problem with politics today. Self serving and thinking they know best. What is the point of voting, if your elected representative, does their own thing!

Apart from a whole bunch of people voted differently and it is the duty of MPs to represent all their constituents, regardless of who or what they voted for.

Perhaps before voting for Brexit you should have asked if the Brexit promises were deliverable.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But he is there to represent his constituents not represent himself and that is the problem with politics today. Self serving and thinking they know best. What is the point of voting, if your elected representative, does their own thing!

After all this time, you STILL do not understand how representative democracy works! Maybe another degree?

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Pretty much all MPs overwhelmingly voted for the British citizens to have a say whether we remain or leave the EU, 544 in favour and 53 against, all SNP MPs.

On the subject of signing Article 50, 498 MPs agreed, whilst only 114 were against, that surely gives a very strong signal that the country and the MPs are unanimous in leaving the EU. If they had any doubts at the time they surely should not have signed Article 50. What mixed messages does that send out to the country when MPs are reneging on promises that they agreed to, it would say to me that these MPs cannot be trusted, and may one day regret their actions.

It was good to see that 14 Labour MPs voted against Yvettes Coopers bill to try and derail brexit.

Still a long way to go yet, it feels like we are going forward two steps, then coming back one step.

Pretty much all MPs overwhelmingly voted for the British citizens to have a say whether we remain or leave the EU,”

Not entirely correct. 

Over a million of the most affected British Citizens, those living elsewhere in the EU were excluded.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Apart from a whole bunch of people voted differently and it is the duty of MPs to represent all their constituents, regardless of who or what they voted for.

Perhaps before voting for Brexit you should have asked if the Brexit promises were deliverable.

There was just two answers on my voting slip regarding the EU. Leave or Remain. Obviously this is the fact like yourself and many remainers fail to grasp. Who says leavers are the ones without any education.

There were no 'soft brexit' or 'hard brexit'. Like all the other terms made up by those who can't accept the result in 2016. It really is quite childish.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

There was just two answers on my voting slip regarding the EU. Leave or Remain. Obviously this is the fact like yourself and many remainers fail to grasp. Who says leavers are the ones without any education.

There were no 'soft brexit' or 'hard brexit'. Like all the other terms made up by those who can't accept the result in 2016. It really is quite childish.

Where was the box that said ‘Disregard all other duties and responsibilities of government’?

Or has your Brexit zealotry reached the point where nothing else matters?

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Correct! So N+ it is!

Basta!

The only way is back to the people with a straight in or out on the same day as the result with no further negotiations or campaign .

Out of interest where is Boris? Gove was there like a rabid Jack Russell barking to any tune. I now don't recognize anyone in the cabinet until they resign the Corbyn says Labour has been clear from the start but only wanted to take a couple of interventions because he was unclear how to answer its a shambles of biblical proportions we need a General if only we could find one ???? 

Just now, Grouse said:

After all this time, you STILL do not understand how representative democracy works! Maybe another degree?

I do know how it works. Maybe you should shout about your grammar school education? Haven't heard that one for a while.

So as the definition below states that members are to promote their constituents interests. This is not happening from the referendum result and the last GE when Labour and Conservatives manifestos both stated they would respect the referendum result.

"The main roles of a Member of Parliament are to review legislation and to represent local interests in Parliament at Westminster. In the House of Commons, MPs scrutinise legislation, attend debates and committees, and generally protect, advocate and promote the interests of their constituency at a national level".

Either way I look forward to all those MP's who defy their constituents and lets see who will be smiling at the next GE.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

At least some of the MPs are looking out for the UK interests and democracy.

which ones??? for me they all arelooking out for their OWN interests..... as for democracy, you must be kidding.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

The tariff war with the clown trump has led to, that all US bourbon whiskeys have become significantly more expensive. The same thing will happen with the delicious scotch whiskey soon. But there are still very good Irish brands. I hope the remaining 27 EU states will stand firmly on the side of ireland.

"""I hope the remaining 27 EU states will stand firmly on the side of ireland."""  Me 2 and to teach a lesson the the arrogant mind changing tories

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Oh dear. Here it is again for you. For the last time.

image.png.60ed4f3d23a0da73d8a6faa2c4cf901e.png

and they called the vote democratic.... no information/details on the vote, people didn't know what they were voting for, misleading information now they have the mess....it was expected wasn't it

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You should stop explaining that. Some just do not understand it. You choose a chief whom you trust. One gives his voice into the hands of one leader whom you trust. Normally, he knows better about politics than you do yourself. Alternative would be everyone has a button with which he can vote permanently. 

But that did not work out. Who has the time to deep down and comprehensively in all questions too inform? That's why the politicians and mps get paid, in order to , that they act well of my interest.

10 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Please, just let's leave the EU, pay them nothing (cos they have done now't for us in the last 2 years)  Then demand compensation for all the damage they have done after years of asset stripping, and poached business's

Lol.

Welcome to the Forum.

Who did the damage then?

I think there are still coming some lawsuits and claims for damages against the UK. Many big companies have warranty clauses in their contracts.

9 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

You should stop explaining that. Some just do not understand it. You choose a chief whom you trust. One gives his voice into the hands of one leader whom you trust. Normally, he knows better about politics than you do yourself. Alternative would be everyone has a button with which he can vote permanently. 

But that did not work out. Who has the time to deep down and comprehensively in all questions too inform? That's why the politicians and mps get paid, in order to , that they act well of my interest.

Parliament actually had a vote and agreed by a large majority to sub contract Parliamentary Democracy to its people for that day and agreed to abide by the decision their citizens chose on that day. But people that don't want to hear this will argue against it, at the end of the day it is common sense. It is no good the remainers just sticking their fingers in their ears and pretending it didn't happen, it did. But their continuous mantra of 'Parliamentary Democracy' is wearing quite thin.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Once again, please name this 'anointed one'?

Have you asked me before? I believe you have not.

Well David Davis, Jacob Reece-Mogg, Domin Raab. There is three for you. Need more! No doubt it won't suit you.

Anyone who actually voted for Brexit is better than TM who voted remain and still doesn't believe in brexit.

48 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Pretty much all MPs overwhelmingly voted for the British citizens to have a say whether we remain or leave the EU,”

Not entirely correct. 

Over a million of the most affected British Citizens, those living elsewhere in the EU were excluded.

What do you mean by "elsewhere in the EU" chomper old chap?

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

Parliament actually had a vote and agreed by a large majority to sub contract Parliamentary Democracy to its people for that day and agreed to abide by the decision their citizens chose on that day. But people that don't want to hear this will argue against it, at the end of the day it is common sense. It is no good the remainers just sticking their fingers in their ears and pretending it didn't happen, it did. But their continuous mantra of 'Parliamentary Democracy' is wearing quite thin.

So what is the problem then?

Clear up ur St.. t and stop waisting time.

The majority wants to get out. The eu does not obstruct anyone. How the UK deals with the 48% of " losers " is their business. Democracy also means respecting the right of the minority. Hey this is almost a 50 - 50 split. Whether the conditions have not changed since 2016? That is a matter of the independent uk to state that. 

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes they do but the Brexit I voted for which has been done to death here has not been acted on.

So where is your evidence for this or you just talking the usual nonsense.

You make this sound like the MPs actually care about the people.????

So the Brexit you voted for has not been acted on. Please could you outline the Brexit you voted for? Is the Brexit you voted for the same as the Brexit everyone else voted for?

Some of the world's most prosperous nations do NOT belong to the EU. Actually, MOST do not belong to the EU so why is everyone believing the litany of lies that predicts doom and death by starvation if the UK leaves with no deal and puts itself in the same position as the rest of the world? 

Should the UK manage to extricate itself from this corrupt hegemony the member nations will have a big black hole of previous export to fill, does anyone believe that French farmers or German Auto makers won't be scrambling to sell to the UK still? If the EU says "no" to them, the "gilets jaune" party will look like a Sunday School outing compared to the anger of farmers, car makers etc if prevented from exporting to the UK.

Juncker may carry on getting pissed out of his head, but nothing he does will stop political carnage after a hard brexit if exports to the UK cannot continue. Member states need us as much as we need them.

12 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

So the Brexit you voted for has not been acted on. Please could you outline the Brexit you voted for? Is the Brexit you voted for the same as the Brexit everyone else voted for?

Go to post 42 for your answer.

Other than that read the countless threads on Brexit and you will see from discussing this with some members still here, from before the referendum in 2016. You will get your answer.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Parliament actually had a vote and agreed by a large majority to sub contract Parliamentary Democracy to its people for that day and agreed to abide by the decision their citizens chose on that day.

No it did not, it 100% did not.

Why do you people keep saying that when it is historically and demonstrably not true?

It only ever "subcontracts" during a General Election, when the results must, in law, be acted upon.

The terms of the Referendum Act quite specifically stated that the Referendum was advisory only with no obligation or expectations for the Government or Parliament to act upon the result.

Did you not trouble yourself to read the "normally sized print":

European Union Referendum Act 2015 - Wikipedia

"3.1 Limitation

The bill did not contain any requirement for the UK Government to implement the results of the referendum, nor set a time limit by which a vote to leave the EU should be implemented. Instead, this is a type of referendum known as pre-legislative or consultative, which enables the electorate to voice an opinion which then influences the Government in its policy decisions. The referendums held in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in 1997 and 1998 are examples of this type, where opinion was tested before legislation was introduced. The UK does not have constitutional provisions which would require the results of a referendum to be implemented"

The "promise" made to you, on the ballot paper, was, in fact, only a hope (of the government).

Because the government said it would do something in full knowledge that, in fact, it could do something, but only with the approval of Parliament.

Which is the case with every government (or would-be government) promise to the electorate.

The electorate are only given one opportunity to control the democratic process........that day was not it.

It was always going to be down to Parliament.

Who always has its eye on the......opinion polls.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...British lawmakers on Tuesday instructed Prime Minister Theresa May to demand that Brussels replace the Irish border arrangement known as the "backstop", in a last-ditch attempt to renegotiate an exit treaty that the European Union says it will not change..."

Why would the EU re-open the negotiations? How is it in their benefit? And what will the UK do if the EU says "No!"; will you leave then?

Bloody hell, UK, you said that you were going to leave, so leave already. In my view leaving the EU is a terrible policy, one of the worst public policy decisions I have seen in my lifetime, but you said you were going to go, so go. Suffer the consequences and go. Pay the price and go.

Stop whingeing and go.

Just go.

We are not whinging, we are negotiating and you will see the EU relenting at the last moment and coming up with a compromise solution, since it is not only the UK which wants a workable deal.  None of the remaining 27 countries will be happy with a "no-deal" solution, as with a no-deal, everybody loses.  That is why the EU will, in one way or another, re-open the negotiations, although of course they will not admit to doing that, but will call it something else.  A deal will be reached.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Oh dear. Here it is again for you. For the last time.

image.png.60ed4f3d23a0da73d8a6faa2c4cf901e.png

So where exactly on the ballot paper that you just posted did you vote on what has to happen after the UK has left the EU, I.e. April 2019 onwards? Because it seems Brexiteers feel they are entitled to have a say on all that, with some demanding that the UK must not do any post-leave agreement, and other demanding specific post-leave agreements.

So, apart from the referendum not being binding anyways, you only voted to leave. Never and nowhere did you vote on any post-leave relationship between the UK and EU. Thus, it is quite astonishing how Brexiteers make demands with regards to post-Brexit relationships, whereas all they have is an opinion poll favoring leave.

If you don’t want the UK do to any post-leave agreement with the EU, or if you want a specific post-leave agreement with the EU, I suggest you hold a referendum about that; just make sure this time it’s binding and actually can be implemented. 

Archived