Pound falls on no-deal Brexit worries, dollar steady

webfact

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Most of the OP is about the US dollar. So, of course Trump will be mentioned. He is intentionally devaluing the dollar. If you're a US expat in Thailand, Trump's monomaniacal focus on the stock market and cheap dollar is killing you.

That is totally false.  Show me your proof that Trump is the reason the Baht is so high.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Please read the post to which I was replying. Thanks.

The bigger picture is that for whatever reason, I and many others have now got 20-25% less to live on here because the GBP went down. Greater good.....bo**x.

So it’s all about you,typical remoaner thinking.

While I do have sympathy for ex-pats in Thailand,some of whom may be suffering. If you look at the bigger picture,the majority of residents in the U.K. are not aware of any effect on their living standards due to the GBP. If there are in fact Any effects.

5 minutes ago, nontabury said:

While I do have sympathy for ex-pats in Thailand,some of whom may be suffering. If you look at the bigger picture,the majority of residents in the U.K. are not aware of any effect on their living standards due to the GBP. If there are in fact Any effects.

How do YOU know my opinion on Brexit, stay or leave? What's your opinion?

I have family living in UK who all say that prices are rising, the £ in their pocket is not worth as much so I do not understand where you get your last sentence from.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

UK State Pension increases are usually about 3 quid a week = £150 annually. So if CPI is better next September, maybe us OAPs wil get £4 a week more in 2020. Private pension funds do not increase automatically as the CPI. 

If you do live in Thailand, your state pension will not increase, due to the frozen pension policy carried out by successive governments. A policy endorsed by the European Court of Human Rights in 2008.

The panel of judges at this court, consisted of judges from other countries, where they do not impose a frozen pension policy, yet they endorsed the U.K’s policy.

EB2C2729-EBDF-4F5A-98AC-BD2B059D1F5F.jpeg

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

If you look at the bigger picture,the majority of residents in the U.K. are not aware of any effect on their living standards due to the GBP. If there are in fact any

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-30/the-brexit-bill-here-s-the-damage-so-far

(I think Barclay and the 20 food retailers’ warning isn’t even included yet.)

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How do YOU know my opinion on Brexit, stay or leave? What's your opinion?

I have family living in UK who all say that prices are rising, the £ in their pocket is not worth as much so I do not understand where you get your last sentence from.

I returned to live in the U.K exactly one year ago, after 20yrs in Thailand.

And I can assure you that the price of food ( with the exception of eating out) here is far less than in Thailand. The only things that I can think of at the moment,that are more expensive in the U.K are Housing cost, Car Fuel, Council Tax.

20 minutes ago, nontabury said:

If you do live in Thailand, your state pension will not increase, due to the frozen pension policy carried out by successive governments. A policy endorsed by the European Court of Human Rights in 2008.

The panel of judges at this court, consisted of judges from other countries, where they do not impose a frozen pension policy, yet they endorsed the U.K’s policy.

EB2C2729-EBDF-4F5A-98AC-BD2B059D1F5F.jpeg

Only if you tell 'em.

6 minutes ago, nontabury said:

And I can assure you that the price of food ( with the exception of eating out) here is far less than in Thailand. The only things that I can think of at the moment,that are more expensive in the U.K are Housing cost, Car Fuel, Council Tax.

So there you go. We are not only talking about food. The other things you mention are FAR more than here in Thaialnd.

And your answer to my first question....IN or OUT. Are you a remoaner?

36 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Well hello there! Its a badly made re-run of the Harold Wilson Pound In Your Pocket Speech! Hilarious!

15 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Must be somewhere lovely.

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

Dollar Steady?  It's been dropping like a rock for almost two months now. Trump has instituted his cheap dollar policy, and since the US is now a banana republic, the Fed does what the president tells them to do. That is why Powell utterly caved yesterday. Trump's personal business strategy has always been to keep the gains, while leaving his creditors holding the bag for what is due. Now, he's implementing it at the level of the entire US economy. The dollar is being intentionally devalued so that Trump can get his precious stock market up. We are now becoming Venezuela. But the stock market will be just fine. Look at Venezuela's stock market--from 1100 to almost 6000 in just a few months. And a  one year return of 174,000 percent.  Woohoo! 

A lot of posters on here do bend the facts about forex.

The dollar has slipped a bit but only since mid January.

Now the Fed looks like pausing rate hikes, it will probably fall more now. We'll see.

image.png

Archived