Pound falls on no-deal Brexit worries, dollar steady

webfact

Pound falls on no-deal Brexit worries, dollar steady

By Richard Leong

2019-01-29T115910Z_1_LYNXNPEF0S0TT_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-MARKETS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A two Euro coin is pictured next to an English ten Pound note in an illustration taken March 16, 2016. REUTERS/Phil Noble

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sterling fell on Tuesday as British lawmakers rejected most amendments seeking for Britain to avoid leaving the European Union without a deal, reviving worries of a chaotic withdrawal from the trading bloc that would damage the U.K. economy.

British lawmakers failed to pass several proposals that take a "no-deal" Brexit off the table. Instead they voted to instruct Prime Minister Theresa May to demand from the EU to replace the Irish border arrangement as a part ofBrexit, but Brussels said it will not change.

"We just don't have a resolution yet," said Ben Randol, senior FX strategist at Bank of America Merrill Lynch in New York. "It just sets up more conflicts going forward."

In late trading on Tuesday, the pound fell 0.71 percent to $1.3062, retreating further after hitting its highest since mid-October last week.

The euro jumped 0.80 percent at 87.53 pence, reversing its earlier fall prior to the amendment votes.

The euro zone single currency was little changed at $1.1433 and marginally higher at 125.09 yen.

The dollar, euro, yen and other major currencies were locked in narrow trading ranges, with traders reluctant to take big positions due to uncertainty over the U.K. parliamentary vote.

Traders also await possible clues from the Federal Reserve on whether it might pause from its current rate-hike campaign. Fed policy-makers began a two-day policy meeting on Tuesday.

Investors expect the Fed, the U.S. central bank, to adopt a more cautious stance, pressured by signs of a peak in corporate earnings and the threat of an economic slowdown at home and globally.

Fed policy-makers are expected to release a policy statement on Wednesday at 2 p.m. (1900 GMT), followed by a press conference with Fed Chairman Jerome Powell.

Adding to investors' jitters were criminal charges against China's Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. for violating U.S. sanctions against Iran. This ratcheted up tensions between Washington and Beijing before trade talks this week.

"We don't have a lot of clarity of these global risk events," Randol said.

An index that tracks the dollar against a basket of currencies was little changed at 95.815. It touched a two-week low during the session.

The Chinese yuan was firm at 6.748 per dollar in offshore markets, scaling back from Monday when it reached its strongest since July.

(Additional reporting by Saikat Chatterjee in LONDON; Editing by David Gregorio and James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-30

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

The expats have been paying for this cluster ***k since day one of the millionaires monopoly game of lets get richer????

Plenty of British expats voted for leave, so blame them too. They all thought it would be so good for them and look at it now. One big mess.

They had an over inflated idea of how much power the UK had vs the EU, now lets see when they are out on their own.. the UK will have less power still. 

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

The expats have been paying for this cluster ***k since day one of the millionaires monopoly game of lets get richer????

Indeed, the GBP value dropped 25% to the baht the day of the referendum in Feb 2016 and it hasn't budged much since then.

The real pain for this currency drop has yet to be felt by the masses in the UK although I am informed that prices for many staples are just beginning to rise. If all those voting to leave were to suffer the same as expats who earn in GBP have done, most would have regretted it the day after the referendum.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Plenty of British expats voted for leave, so blame them too. They all thought it would be so good for them and look at it now. One big mess.

They had an over inflated idea of how much power the UK had vs the EU, now lets see when they are out on their own.. the UK will have less power still. 

SOME expats may have voted leave, not all British expats voted leave. I would suggest that the majority didn't especially all those living in Europe which is likely to be where MOST UK expats live.

What you have to remember is that regular people were fed complete lies by Farage and his cronies which convinced many to vote the way they did. 

1 minute ago, NightSky said:

SOME expats may have voted leave, not all British expats voted leave. I would suggest that the majority didn't especially all those living in Europe which is likely to be where MOST UK expats live.

What you have to remember is that regular people were fed complete lies by Farage and his cronies which convinced many to vote the way they did. 

I know it was based on lies and promises they could not keep, that is why a an other vote now that everything is far clearer and lies wont cut it would be good. Call it a vote after new information emerged. But the Brexiteers won't want that as they know there is a good chance they would lose this time around. 

Well this expat voted to leave and would again. Something many non Brits and some Brits, just do not get.

Getting out of the EU clutches is worth a drop. Look on the bright side if you work in Thailand  and get paid in baht, it is worth more pounds. ????

I always found relying on pensions was a risky business.????

As for being fed lies not that old chestnut. The mantra is boring????

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

We had no power in the E.U it was a stich up from the start for it to be run by Germany and their poodle France , well f  k them we can be better and stronger on our own . like we always have been .

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know it was based on lies and promises they could not keep, that is why a an other vote now that everything is far clearer and lies wont cut it would be good. Call it a vote after new information emerged. But the Brexiteers won't want that as they know there is a good chance they would lose this time around. 

agreed

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

What were the "lies and promises " that were told and could not be kept  ?

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well this expat voted to leave and would again. Something many non Brits and some Brits, just do not get.

Getting out of the EU clutches is worth a drop. Look on the bright side if you work in Thailand  and get paid in baht, it is worth more pounds. ????

I always found relying on pensions was a risky business.????

As for being fed lies not that old chestnut. The mantra is boring????

The UK had respect and a primary voice in the EU.

Instead of bailing out and causing huge problems which is the regressive way out, why not negotiate from within? The UK negotiated not joining the Euro and keeping the GBP - why not renegotiate on other matters too? It is certainly going to be better then bowing to big brother USA's every whim.

I read only last night that the USA firms are demanding that UK lower standards on foods, drugs and to change tax rules to accommodate being pillaged by the US tech firms.

In the EU we had a voice and leverage. Out of the EU we are the mercy of being pushed around.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What were the "lies and promises " that were told and could not be kept  ?

For one the easy and favorable deal they would get when exiting the EU and saying it would be easy. I guess they have seen that their hand was not as strong and now a no deal is quite possible. I won't be posting in this topic much as the die hard Brexiteers can't be reasoned with. 

Just now, NightSky said:

The UK had respect and a primary voice in the EU.

Instead of bailing out and causing huge problems which is the regressive way out, why not negotiate from within? The UK negotiated not joining the Euro and keeping the GBP - why not renegotiate on other matters too? It is certainly going to be better then bowing to big brother USA's every whim.

I read only last night that the USA firms are demanding that UK lower standards on foods, drugs and to change tax rules to accommodate being pillaged by the US tech firms.

In the EU we had a voice and leverage. Out of the EU we are the mercy of being pushed around.

Be brave , do not be scared .

We are leaving Europe and we are quite able to stand alone , dont be scared of the Americans  or the Germans

1 minute ago, robblok said:

For one the easy and favorable deal they would get when exiting the EU and saying it would be easy. I guess they have seen that their hand was not as strong and now a no deal is quite possible. I won't be posting in this topic much as the die hard Brexiteers can't be reasoned with. 

OK , where and when and who promised that exiting the E.U would be easy ?

Who promised that the UK would get a "easy and favorable" deal ?

You claimed that the person who stated that was lying , so, who was/is lying ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

farange and so on, they blamed the EU of just about anything to get votes and now their easy deal and good terms.. where are they.. nowhere to be seen. 

I will let this rest, I have my views you got yours we could just as wel debate for all eternity and never get to something we agree on. Kinda like people who are pro Thrump and those who are against him. 

Waste of time for both of us.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2018/07/all-times-david-davis-said-brexit-was-simple

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If you want those questions answered why not do your own research?

Google is one click away.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Oh you want the specific phrase ‘Brexit will be easy’

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/nobody-said-it-was-easy

Just now, NightSky said:

If you want those questions answered why not do your own research?

Google is one click away.

Because I am asking people to give examples of their claims  , making statements and then telling other people go and find facts to prove that they are right isnt the way discussions work 

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Just one click away you can find all sorts of interesting stuff on Google..

https://www.independent.co.uk/infact/brexit-second-referendum-false-claims-eu-referendum-campaign-lies-fake-news-a8113381.html

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I am quite busy now , can you just post the "lies" that were told .

I dont have the time to read articles

Everyone is busy, so why ask the questions if you can't stomach the answers.

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You should have had a quick search before you posted your question.

No point in that when the objective is to pi$$ people about. You do the legwork, your opponent comes back with 'Nah, project fear. Do better.'

As robblok says, it is a waste of time.

9 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Everyone is busy, so why ask the questions if you can't stomach the answers.

I can stomach the answer , I just want people to state the answer, rather than posting articles , too busy to study article at the moment 

Archived