Pound falls on no-deal Brexit worries, dollar steady

webfact

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Plenty of British expats voted for leave, so blame them too. They all thought it would be so good for them and look at it now. One big mess.

They had an over inflated idea of how much power the UK had vs the EU, now lets see when they are out on their own.. the UK will have less power still. 

Rubbish.

Expats (including leavers) knew that a leave result would result in an immediate drop in sterling.

You'd know this if you'd been reading the threads immediately prior to the referendum.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Rubbish.

Expats (including leavers) knew that a leave result would result in an immediate drop in sterling.

You'd know this if you'd been reading the threads immediately prior to the referendum.

Yes but the ‘Levers’ insisted it would only be a temporary short term price worth paying.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes but the ‘Levers’ insisted it would only be a temporary short term price worth paying.

As long as the uncertainty persists - it's pretty obvious that sterling will remain low.

Blame that on the uk and eu govts. that are still trying to find a way for a brino brexit that doesn't alienate the electorate even further.

Personally, I blame the brit. govt. more than the eu govt. for this fiasco - as they never made any attempt to genuinely negotiate - and have now made it even clearer that they have no intention of leaving......

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

As long as the uncertainty persists - it's pretty obvious that sterling will remain low.

Blame that on the uk and eu govts. that are still trying to find a way for a brino brexit that doesn't alienate the electorate even further.

Personally, I blame the brit. govt. more than the eu govt. for this fiasco - as they never made any attempt to genuinely negotiate - and have now made it even clearer that they have no intention of leaving......

Again, Brexiteers take no responsibility for the consequences of the Brexit they voted for/support.

It’s always someone else’s fault.

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Correct but it's taking longer than expected due to the collaborator-like stance of Bercow & the HoC.

4 hours ago, NightSky said:

The UK had respect and a primary voice in the EU.

Umh, well, what was the catalyst which led to the referendum?

Mr Cameron's approaches to the EU, asking for some reforms to be considered -particularly with regard to the Common Agricultural Policy - hardly an unjustified suggestion given the CAP's reputation were met with a flat rebuttal.

Respect and a primary voice?

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Hes crashed out now , knocked himself out being busy all morning .

Some posters seemed to suggest that I was lying and just making excuses as to why I couldnt read long articles .

Its difficult to concentrate when hes singing a papa shark .

Anyway proof that hes alseep now

DSCF3368.JPG

His dad has issues. Where did I ever suggest you were lying?  Is the above some kind of link? Lol. 

17 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

His dad has issues. Where did I ever suggest you were lying?  Is the above some kind of link? Lol. 

Where did I suggest that you suggested that I was  lying ?

Although I replied to you , I  stated "some posters" , without suggesting that it was you.

There were some posters in this thread who made the suggestion that I wasnt being truthful when I stated that I was too busy at the time to read long articles  

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

No the Pound didnt drop 25 % on the day of the referendum , the Pound was about the same rate a week after the referendum , maybe you are getting confused , because the referendum wasnt in Feb 2016 ,it was in July  

My mistake the referendum was in July and the GBP dropped 25% since 2016.

The point is the GBP has dropped 25% since 2016. Thanks for scrutinizing every word that is typed though.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

12 posts .

Its up to people to back up their claims , too post links .

Its not up top others to search .

*Donald Trump is the new Jesus Christ .

If you dont believe me , do a web search .

Point proven *

Claims were backed up, which you ignored.

Besides no one has to back up anything, its an open forum discussion.

If we are being over critical you misspelled 'two' as 'too' and your punctuation is extremely poor.

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

Where did I suggest that you suggested that I was  lying ?

Although I replied to you , I  stated "some posters" , without suggesting that it was you.

There were some posters in this thread who made the suggestion that I wasnt being truthful when I stated that I was too busy at the time to read long articles  

Umm, perhaps it was the picture you shared with all TVF members that had my profile and comment showing on your opened computer screen....just sayin. 

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

For all you F/T Brexiteer spinners out there, here is a standard analysis to ponder:

Hard Brexit: Sterling Down.

Soft Brexit: Sterling Up.

Happy Crayon re-writes!

Who cares? All my assets are in other denominations. 

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

For all you F/T Brexiteer spinners out there, here is a standard analysis to ponder:

Hard Brexit: Sterling Down.

Soft Brexit: Sterling Up.

Happy Crayon re-writes!

1=Leave (tick)

2=BINO (X)

No crayons necessary, just listen...

Dollar Steady?  It's been dropping like a rock for almost two months now. Trump has instituted his cheap dollar policy, and since the US is now a banana republic, the Fed does what the president tells them to do. That is why Powell utterly caved yesterday. Trump's personal business strategy has always been to keep the gains, while leaving his creditors holding the bag for what is due. Now, he's implementing it at the level of the entire US economy. The dollar is being intentionally devalued so that Trump can get his precious stock market up. We are now becoming Venezuela. But the stock market will be just fine. Look at Venezuela's stock market--from 1100 to almost 6000 in just a few months. And a  one year return of 174,000 percent.  Woohoo! 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:41 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Look on the bright side if you work in Thailand  and get paid in baht, it is worth more pounds

And if, like me and many others you do not work in THailand, you are f*******d !

On 1/30/2019 at 11:21 AM, Longcut said:

I just knew that if I read through a whole topic here, I would eventually get to some post that mentions Donald Trump. 

Most of the OP is about the US dollar. So, of course Trump will be mentioned. He is intentionally devaluing the dollar. If you're a US expat in Thailand, Trump's monomaniacal focus on the stock market and cheap dollar is killing you.

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And if, like me and many others you do not work in THailand, you are f*******d !

I would disagree. What about the bigger picture and the greater good? I understand that many people depend on their government pension. Its not all down to Brexit. It hasn't even happened yet.

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

I would disagree. What about the bigger picture and the greater good? I understand that many people depend on their government pension. Its not all down to Brexit. It hasn't even happened yet.

Please read the post to which I was replying. Thanks.

The bigger picture is that for whatever reason, I and many others have now got 20-25% less to live on here because the GBP went down. Greater good.....bo**x.

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Please read the post to which I was replying. Thanks.

The bigger picture is that for whatever reason, I and many others have now got 20-25% less to live on here because the GBP went down. Greater good.....bo**x.

There may well be a blip as we leave but the pound will rise again & by Sep the CPI rate (the one on which pension increases are based) will likely be better than last year.

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Well that's OK you think of yourself. Many others think differently. That's the problem with relying on exchange rates as they go up and down. Part of the economic cycle.

16 minutes ago, evadgib said:

There may well be a blip as we leave but the pound will rise again & by Sep the CPI rate (the one on which pension increases are based) will likely be better than last year.

UK State Pension increases are usually about 3 quid a week = £150 annually. So if CPI is better next September, maybe us OAPs wil get £4 a week more in 2020. Private pension funds do not increase automatically as the CPI. 

Archived