Thailand slips three places In graft index

webfact

Thailand slips three places In graft index 
By The Nation

bribe.jpg

FILE photo

In a list of 180 countries, Thailand fell to 99 from 96 in Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) in 2018.

Patricia Moreira, managing director of international secretariat of Transparency International, said Thailand’s score was 36 out of 100 last year, down from 37 a year earlier. 

She explained that corruption undermines democracy, leads to a vicious cycle and weakens democratic institutions, eventually corruption becomes so ingrained in society that it cannot be eliminated. 

Since 1995, the index is published annually by Berlin-based Transparency International, which ranks countries “by their corruption levels, as set by expert assessments and opinion surveys”. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30363164

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-30

Anyone want to lay odds on how long it will be before our junta friends come up with some reason why the findings are flawed? There number one goal when they came to power was to stamp corruption out completely if I recall correctly, and surely they couldn't have failed so pitifully in that as to be going backwards, with no improvement whatsoever? :smile:

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand fell to 99 from 96 in Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) in 2018.

A very peculiar, even ironic development considering that the junta's foremost reason for kidnapping democracy in this country almost five years ago was to actually STAMP OUT and ERADICATE corruption altogether. Seems they have made things worse instead, which, I might add, is not a big surprise at all. 

24 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Anyone want to lay odds on how long it will be before our junta friends come up with some reason why the findings are flawed? There number one goal when they came to power was to stamp corruption out completely if I recall correctly, and surely they couldn't have failed so pitifully in that as to be going backwards, with no improvement whatsoever? :smile:

They had their chance to clean up corruption, they did so for that of their political enemies. But it got replaced by their own corruption. I don't see it changing, nobody in government want it to change (past present and future as far i can look into the future for now) as that means cutting their own extra income. The populace does not seem to care too much either otherwise they would demand clean politicians ect. So it won't change.. just the faces on the feeding through. Too bad that they think violence is accepted to hold on to power to gain power and so on. 

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Ah farang misunderstand. Eliminating corruption by the opposition was the goal. And by and large they've kept them away from the trough by hogging it themselves! (Sorry for pun).

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

wouldn't take that much, for a spin doctor to excise and graft themselves onto a better body part of the chart

after all... they only have themselves to fool!

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

. . . . surely they couldn't have failed so pitifully in that as to be going backwards . . .

. . . and putting more candles on the corruption cake. And, beggar me, they do it with such straight faces and as if anything else would hinder their performance, a word that, in Thailand, has come to mean exactly that . . . going backwards.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

So not only was happiness not returned, but corruption has got worse. What an utter, utter waste of 5 years for the majority. I'm sure the 1% have been enjoying themselves, mind. 

Absolutely. I think most of the nation don't care either. It really is a nation of zombies when it comes to stuff like this. 

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Absolutely. I think most of the nation don't care either. It really is a nation of zombies when it comes to stuff like this. 

I doubt if this is a news item in any Thai language newspaper. Congrats to TV for publicising it.

I disagree that the country runs on graft, that it oils the wheels. That if you took away the graft the country would probably grind to a halt. Such slander should be cracked down on hard. Our betters show us how life should be lived, each one a shining example of selfless devotion to country. How I wish I could be as morally upright and prosperous as these. But in my moral depravity I'm destined to a life of poverty, I guess.

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Ah farang misunderstand. Eliminating corruption by the opposition was the goal. And by and large they've kept them away from the trough by hogging it themselves! (Sorry for pun).

False promises by politicians are not only applicable to Thailand. If you look at all the other countries, astute leaders made promises of solutions to all the country’s malaise if they were elected. It is really confounding to see the masses really believed all the BS fed to them time and time again. 

I think Thai people don’t really care about corruption at the top because of their feudal patriarchal system. The lower level of society are loyal to their immediate boss who they believe will take care of their well being. This works upwards level by level until the lower masses are insulated from the top echelons,the elites, in policy makings. So long as the bosses take care of those below them, the masses do not think much.  

Archived