Thailand slips three places In graft index

webfact

Only three places! Who did they pay that works for the Transparency International to fudge that figure?

And this is spot on for Thailand "She explained that corruption undermines democracy, leads to a vicious cycle and weakens democratic institutions, eventually corruption becomes so ingrained in society that it cannot be eliminated" but then they haven't been a democracy for over 4-years.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Anyone want to lay odds on how long it will be before our junta friends come up with some reason why the findings are flawed? There number one goal when they came to power was to stamp corruption out completely if I recall correctly, and surely they couldn't have failed so pitifully in that as to be going backwards, with no improvement whatsoever? :smile:

Everyone knows of the failure but to have it spoken out loud....in what could become an election year....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Judging by the criticism of Prayuth's Government it would seem posters here have forgotten all the things he has done for the country.

And so have I, please remind me.

Only one I can think of - stopping uncontrolled rioting/bloodshed on the streets. Replaced by hollow promises, inaction (apart from "mouthing on") on too many problems e.g. corruption, cronyism, continual flooding, road trauma ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Now my mind is blank. ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Anyone want to lay odds on how long it will be before our junta friends come up with some reason why the findings are flawed? There number one goal when they came to power was to stamp corruption out completely if I recall correctly, and surely they couldn't have failed so pitifully in that as to be going backwards, with no improvement whatsoever? :smile:

When General Prat and his military junta seized power in 2014 - he boasted he would 'rid Thailand of corruption by 2020'. Clearly, his command of the English language led him to mistakenly use the above claim when what he actually meant was that he would 'increase and deepen the levels of corruption in Thailand'. Unusual for a politician to keep their word and he should be commended for doing such a great job.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

At what point can they claim to have a democracy?

It will be a "Thai style" democracy not what the modern western world would consider a democracy. The huge number of NCPO appointees will ensure that the military, AKA as the powerful families, will be controlling from the background. ????