EU negotiator and Council chief tell Britain's May: No to renegotiation

webfact

19 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Tell me how Germans can vote out their president. 

19 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am not German and not bound by German law, won't ever live there again. So it doesn't really bother me ole bean.

So, how would you vote out your own head of state?  What about the members of your Upper House?  Head of the civil service?

53 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

So, how would you vote out your own head of state?  What about the members of your Upper House?  Head of the civil service?

I wouldn't I am a royalist.????

The House of lords, that is different. That shower I would totally restructure with no Lords coming from birthright. No Ex MP's either and have a balanced, smaller political view, making it more equal than now. Plus they would also be on a fixed term. 5 years max..

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

The German electorate cannot vote their president out. According to the Brexiteers here, that must make Germany an undemocratic totalitarian regime like the EU. 

• Haha 2

There is a very interesting article re Brexit in today's Bangkok Post.

Well worth a read.

some tastes;

Spokesman for Merkel:

reopening the deal is not on the agenda

Tusk:

now we are informed what UK does not want,

we still do not know what UK wants

Irish minister of foreign affairs:

this is extraordinary,

a PM and her government negotiates a deal,

during the ratification process, they vote against their own deal

Think TM is facing an uphill task trying to hack whatever she wants to achieve.

A true mess this is.

A horror example of multilateral talks ending in ????

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The eu know very well that uk politicians want a 'remain' deal - that they can sell to the electorate as 'leave'....

I think that's rather uncharitable. Certainly many are pro Remain. However, there are many benevolent, altruistic, types who wish to respect the referendum result in a way that is least damaging to the population generally.

Edited by Grouse

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I think that's rather uncharitable. Certainly many are pro Remain. However, many benevolent types who wish to respect the referendum result in a way that is least damaging.

I understand what your saying but to me its like saying we will have a cup final with two teams and they both get the cup.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I understand what your saying but to me its like saying we will have a cup final with two teams and they both get the cup.

And not only that; it's a bigger cup.

Glad you understand that this is not a zero sum game!

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Short for "similar to original EEC" conditions. Some form of common market with frictionless trade and common rule book.

Well I think I always said that an (EEC) Common Market idea was OK.

But the Treaty of Rome included so much more than a sensible trading agreement that was not fairly explained in the first place when Heath deceived us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The German electorate cannot vote their president out. According to the Brexiteers here, that must make Germany an undemocratic totalitarian regime like the EU. 

Why are you constantly throwing that old chestnut about in order to justify more claptrap?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"However, there are many benevolent, altruistic, types" (re. MPs)

I too love sarcasm as a source of humour. ????

As with most populations they will follow a Gaussian distribution.

If you believe all politicians are equally selfish, self seeking, greedy bastards then just give up now.

I still retain a more positive outlook. I can see the greedy selfish bastards as well as you. I also many benevolent, possibly foolish idealists. I retain hope. And I retain a 1L bottle of Monkey Shoulder purchased at KLIA2 yesterday. Ever been to that terminal? Don't! It's like a meat packing factory but less fragrant.

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

As with most populations they will follow a Gaussian distribution.

If you believe all politicians are equally selfish, self seeking, greedy bastards then just give up now.

I still retain a more positive outlook. I can see the greedy selfish bastards as well as you. I also many benevolent, possibly foolish idealists. I retain hope. And I retain a 1L bottle of Monkey Shoulder purchased at KLIA2 yesterday. Ever been to that terminal? Don't! It's like a meat packing factory but less fragrant.

"If you believe all politicians are equally selfish, self seeking, greedy bastards then just give up now."

Surely now is the time for the electorate to realise this is the case and hold them accountable?

Having said this, the electorate already knew this to be the case, but their shenanigans over this issue has made it even more clear......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Don’t blame me for Brexiteers not understanding representative democracy and falsely calling politicians in Brussels “unelected”. 

They are neither elected by or accountable to the electorate. If they were we may never have voted to leave.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

They are neither elected by or accountable to the electorate. If they were we may never have voted to leave.

what do you guys mean when you say politicians in Brussels?

and, which electorate?

do you mean the Commissioners or?

16 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Neither is the PM. Elected by her party not the electorate.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

They are as much as politicians in other representative democracies. Maybe you just don’t know, or you deliberately are spreading lies, both we know from Brexiteers. 

lol; The "Cuckoo effect" is highly unlikely to ensnare the poster who enlightened the board to it's very existence????