Windows Is In My Recycle Bin

peter991

I have just had the most bizarre computing experience ever.

I just updated my website and deleted all the replaced files. They went into the Recycle Bin. I emptied the Recycle Bin. Two seconds later I noticed that the desktop icon (Recycle Bin) had changed, indicating there was 'trash' to empty.

I right clicked to Empty Recycle Bin and received the warning: Do you want to delete 'Windows'? I answered No. Opened My Computer - double clicked on the C drive ... there was Windows (where it was supposed to be). Clicked on Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> and then changed the settings to show ALL files, including Hidden and Protected Files.

I opened the Recycle Bin by double clicking on the desktop icon and couldn't find a single file.

I am running Windows XP SP2, Zone Alarm, NOD32 and use Webroot Window Washer. I have done a thorough scan and can't find any nasties.

I rebooted the computer - but the Recycle bin icon still shows it contains files to be deleted - even though there's nothing in it.... except the mysterious: Do you want to delete 'Windows'?

Any suggestions what could be causing this?

Peter

Just a thought. Do you or did you use any external hdd or thumb drive with this computer? Also, do you have backup of all your essential files. Since you have XP, I don't think your actual windows folder will delete so easily. Why don't you try deleting and see what happens.

Just a thought.

Windows has this annoying feature to hide certain files.

When you are in the recycle bin (or any folder for that matter) click

"Tools" , select "Folder options" and click on the "View tab".

About third paragraph down is "Hidden files and folders".

Select "Show hidden files and folders" and click OK.

See if it makes a difference.