Changing from Retirement to marriage visa

10 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Right now, I am on a retirement visa. It is due to expire in a few weeks time.

Do you have a OA long stay visa or a multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate.

Immigration issues one year extensions of stay.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Don't understand about extension of stay. Right now, I am on a retirement visa. It is due to expire in a few weeks time. Could I apply for a marriage visa instead?

Is your permission to stay in your passport a VISA ('O', 'OA') obtained from an Embassy based outside Thailand, a change of visa status to a (90 day) NON O visa obtained from an Immigration Office within Thailand or a stamp issued from Immigration within Thailand that says 'Extension of stay permitted up to (date)'

Edited by sumrit

1 minute ago, hackjam said:

OK thanks.

I never obtained any visa from Embassy outside Thailand.

I went from a work permit to a retirement visa a few years ago, its multi entry, think I paid 1,900 and 3,800 last time I renewed.

That sounds like an Extension based on retirement and a multiple re-entry permit.

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Don't understand about extension of stay. Right now, I am on a retirement visa. It is due to expire in a few weeks time. Could I apply for a marriage visa instead?

I'm likely to do the same thing this year. As far as I understand it, there are some document differences (a yellow book available at your Amphur Office), some photographs of you being blissfully happy at home, and the names and addresses of 3 or so neighbours who will tell the visiting IO chappie or chapess, that you are indeed married and live where you say you live.

They normally ask you to submit the forms 3 months ahead of the retirement visa expiry date so they can do all the rummaging around in time. As far as I'm aware, the process is not difficult, just tedious. Oh, and the 800,000 in a bank account drops to 400,000 - if you're not relying on proof of income from an embassy. From what you say about the expiry date on your existing retirement visa, they may give you a 3-month extension instead of the usual 1-year extension to allow them time to get their ducks in a row as far as the change-over is concerned. Like I said, tedious not difficult. If push comes to shove you ought to be able to just change your mind if that's what you want to do in the face of the Thai love of bureaucracy.

Good luck.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I wonder; if, due to currency difficulties reducing my pension below 65,000 baht, I want to change from non-imm B 'retirement' to 'married' retirement at next extension in September, does my visa-class change from non-imm B to O or O-A? And if so, do I need to show health insurance cerificate which I don't have. Can it be done at Chiangmai imm?

I am 73, have lived here on non-imm B more than 25 years, have been married for 12 years, have a thai adopted son 14 years old with my family name.

Thank you!

Edited by Yggdrasil