Advice for young people here who find it impossible to adapt culturally – what to do/when is it time to quit?

Lost Bob

Way too long to read all, but I moved here when I was 25, basically same age as you.

Wih the same intentions of opening a biz.

Just like you I found it hard to impossible to accept and adapt, so I ended up drinking and parting for good 2-3 years.

Even brain dead from alcohol I still did not really accept or tolerated much.

when I opened biz, is when I learned to adapt and accept . This is when I learned that you can not and will not change anything and must go with a flow.

It is only when I started to work so closely with the locals that I started to accept local ways and understand it.

speaking Thai was a positive and a negative as the more I understood the less sense half of it was making .

moral of the story is, start working closely with the locals and you will get better insight and while many things you will find hard to accept , you will learn to understand and get over it.

saying all of the above , opening biz was the biggest mistake of my life, because in 10-12 years I went bald, grey and lost interest in most things as all I do is work. If I do not work, I loose money. 

on the bright side, not much these days shocks me. Do I hate my life? Yes, but what would be the alternative ? Drink and be drunk on daily basis or just waste life away in room.

cheer up, all normal people go through this stage , it will pass

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

you are young and confused, expecting the country to adapt to your way of life is not the solution you are the one that has to adjust to the country where you decided to move, Thailand or anywhere else,  there are a couple of steps to make it easy to adjust: be open minded,  don't forget your old friends,  know what you're getting into and expect the unexpected, I have been living put of my own country for the past 44 years, and a friend once told me """"... in order to get the most out of your expat experience, you need to break out of your comfortable little cocoon ...""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good thing the op is not the city riding on public transport. The last seat to be taken will almost always be the one next to mr foreigner, and as soon as another becomes vacant the one sitting next to you will move. could not give a toss but it shows you what they think about us.

why not go home for 3 months a year, that gives you something to look forward to and a nice break from what is a feudal hierarchical social system where they are all wai ing the ones above them deserved or not, Semi rural as well, horrible as it's isolating and boring.

Like a sword with two edges, Thailand has a fun side and a "flip side".  The fun side attracts us.  The flip side tests our cultural differences to the core sometimes.  

I think you already know what you can and cannot change.  And what you need to do to rectify the situation.  You just want some of us here to validate this solution for you.

At least you don't have any kids.  You may think you are married to your job, but the only decision that needs a little planning is whether to sell the business, or just hand it over to the GF (soon to be ex-GF???) and walk away.   You don't have to continue to suffer for no reason.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think I can speak for a few of the old fellows.  Your post is typical.  Go home and grow up, get an education and see some of life and travel some more.  Come back at 60.  You will have the answers to your questions.  Good luck grasshopper. 

I'm not sure his post is 'typical'.

Sure there's quite a few foreigners living in Thailand and each one of those foreigners is an individual same as all Thai folks are individuals.

Some folks (from anywhere) can't cope / cope / easily cope with change and with different social behaviors, values, attitudes to multiculturalism, etc., etc. That's life and there's no reason to be judgmental about any of it. I worked for many years, in Bkk as a senior person in a western style international management consulting company, many times we invited western professional experts to help us with complex local projects. Over about 12 years I had 3 males and 1 western female quickly ask to go home, they simply could not cope with the cultural differences to the point where they were having emotional issues all day. I sent themhome quickly.

To the OP, why stay here? But would you easily integrate back into the main community / society you come from? Have you done any serious deep thinking to identify why your so unhappy here and perhaps try to understand why it took so long for all of this to become so problematic and upsetting? Further, (not my business) are there now serious relationship issues, is that actually the main problem? Are you perhaps unfairly angry with Thailand?

Analysing all of that carefully might help to understand yourself. 

Are you having depression, serious depression, anxiety, panic? 

Have you sought out any professional counselling to get clear answers for yourself? And I mean a properly board qualified counsellor. 

You alone need to make decisions about the points just above, but surely there's no value in continuing like you are. And Thailand, Thai social, daily behaviors and attitude aren't going to change and neither they should.

Make a move, don't sit and wait for the world / Thailand to change. You'll wait for 100 years or more and it still won't be utopia. A waste of your life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Because of your young age and you having time to recover those losses, losing the business sunk costs would not be my biggest concern. My health and future happiness would be my only priorities. Good luck to you

This is it in a Nut Shell ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was at 38-39 years old, due to ill health, made to retire forcibly. Don't let that happen to you. Take control now. You have time to recover and money is easy to earn again when you are happy doing something. 

Health and happiness is number one and without them, life is pretty well worthless.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 1