70 students suffer food poisoning after school lunch

snoop1130

70 students suffer food poisoning after school lunch

By The Nation

a5e8b6adf7b4666d9a25537c9b205c1c.jpeg

Some 70 secondary students from Jian Hua School in Nakhon Pathom's Bang Len district suffered food poisoning on Friday after school lunch.

Twenty-five of the students were sent to Supan Buri's 17th Somdet Phra Sangkharat Hospital suffering from severe diarrhoea, vomiting and seizures.

Teacher Manasawee Phutthapol, 26, said that some 70 students had developed food poisoning symptoms after having lunch and teachers sent the 25 most severely-affected students to the hospital. 

Hospital director Dr Suparit Hengkrawit said the students most likely suffered from food poisoning after having two dishes. 

As of Friday afternoon, all students were recovering while only one student – a Mathayom 3 girl – remained in hospital for medical surveillance.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30363372

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-01

5 hours ago, faraday said:

I suppose if you're a tourist, or have never actually visited here, then you might think that.

But no, what you posted just isn't accurate.

Partially accurate. Personal hygiene is indeed excellent. Food hygiene is abysmal. Can't believe how they store and reheat rice. Lethal. If my wife has leftover rice, she keeps it in the microwave overnight.

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Partially accurate. Personal hygiene is indeed excellent. Food hygiene is abysmal. Can't believe how they store and reheat rice. Lethal. If my wife has leftover rice, she keeps it in the microwave overnight.

Thats the worst dude. My Japanese x wife used to do the same thing. Id toss that s**t the minute I found it.

7 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I tutor a student from that school and this is the second time it happens in a period of a year.  Luckily it made the news. I hope actions will be taken to prevent poisoning in the future.

Keep hoping..... 

Had food poisoning once in thirty years of living and traveling in South and East Asia. Eat in the street, food courts and last five years school canteens. Given its a developing country, lack of education about germs, bacteria, microbes I think it's plenty clean enough.

Walking past food carts in the street I'm constantly surprised at the level of cleanliness given the education and additional costs.

I also think that East Asians are very clean people. It's the Arabs and Europeans who I often can't suffer to stand near.

Having said that, many Thai don't have good oral hygiene. Same with some Chinese, Koreans. My sister had horrible breath and I'd account that to poor oral hygiene.

I'd bet it was old rice. My wife will keep it for days despite having a small cooker. I toss it every time I see it in the fridge even if it's mine as it's 24+ hours old.

Not surprising when nothing is ever properly cleaned with hot soapy water. Cutting boards go from chicken to pork to fish to vegetables and back again without ever being cleaned. I only shocked this isn't a daily occurrence everywhere, including Laos.

12 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

what a load of crap I am 71 years old I never ever had food poisoning in my whole life

and I have been to many countries the only time I got sick was in Thailand

I was referring to personal hygiene.   The poster I replied to said, "personal hygiene is at best abysmal."

Obviously the poster has never been to Thailand.  BTW I got the worst food poisoning of my life in Vietnam and I believe America has killed more children as a result of dirty restaurants than Thailand. 

Jack in the Box 1993.  Of the infected children 45 required hospitalization—38 suffered serious kidney problems and 21 required dialysis. Four children died: 171 hospitalizations.  

Having said that, Thailand could use some help in sanitation laws as most of the food carts I've seen are in serious violation of many common sense health laws.  My answer after 20 years is only eat food recently cooked and still hot or eat at home. 

Wives in both Thailand and any rural area are usually clueless about food sanitation as my American farm wife did the same things my Thai farm wife did as far as leaving cooked food out all day. 

Someone could solve all these things with a few lessons every year in school in any country. 

23 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Not surprising when nothing is ever properly cleaned with hot soapy water. Cutting boards go from chicken to pork to fish to vegetables and back again without ever being cleaned. I only shocked this isn't a daily occurrence everywhere, including Laos.

Perhaps the only advantage of religion is dietary laws as most times they are accurate and prevent sickness.  Example cutting board segregation.   

23 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

My wife suffers it once a month. I thought it was period related, but no, it is actually food poisoning. Fermented Thai foods.

Same here. Always after she eats som tum. Tell her everytime "don't eat", "careful when buying food outside"... But could as well talk to the wall.

Archived