Govt apologises for Bangkok’s suffocating, hazardous smog

rooster59

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes of course i'm sure...2 stroke engines pollute much more pm2.5 than 4strokes...and i still see plenty of them old motorcycles. Tuktuk's also were 2 strokes but on lpg i don't know if they are still 2 strokes, maybe not.

The vast majority of the two strokes were got rid of in the last "crackdown" in the early nineties, yes there are still a few on the roads, it is a few though, probably need a 100 due to CC to produce as much crap as a 'city" bus does every hour.

Point is if you were to remove all 2 strokes from the cities now it would have next to no difference, remove the belching diesels and the air would vastly improve.

https://www.esci-ksp.org/archives/project/shift-from-two-to-four-stroke-motorcycles-in-bangkok

Edited by CGW

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Army chief General Apirach Kongsompong said his forces have also actively responded to the government’s policy on fighting the pollution. 

“People should help too. Don’t just blame the government. It’s everybody’s duty,” he said..." 

Why not blame the government? For four years, the army and the government have silenced any and all participation by the people in governing their own affairs. Or, put another way, you stopped people from having a voice, you have to bear responsibility. Suck it up, whinger.

I return to a suggestion I made a few days ago. Why not have the PM, the Cabinet, the leaders of the Military, the appointed members of 'Independent' agencies, and the tree-stumps appointed to the NLA all give up their cars for a while? You know, lead by example?

Leadership starts at the top, and the top is NOT doing its fair share.

Put up or stop complaining.

Rather, put up and stop complaining.

It does not matter whom is to blame....what matters is that "suddenly", Thailand re-appears as a third world country. <deleted>....g fix it.  THEN....and only then would one with any brains consider your country as a destination.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

I am confused! This is normal for me but my question is....this is the first time BKK has this problem? and Why the problem?

Has it been a yearly problem that has not been highlighted? Seems to me that limiting vehicles in BKK is fruitless.

Seems to me...if it is really that bad...add more cars to the BTS, increase trains,  and reduce the fare on the BTS to 0.

Then stop cars coming into bkk and question then ...WHY? This should cause enough of a traffic jam that people turn back...555

if they are telling me it is traffic then I am really confused. Traffic is a 100% problem year round in BKK.

It's gotten worse the last couple years largely due to more vehicles and factories on top of burning.  No money for subway cars need to buy subs.

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

They've been burning the fields for decades in not hundreds of years why should they stop now?
Because pollution in Bangkok caused by vehicle emissions?
When I was a kid in the UK they burned the fields too, think it's against the law now.
But in any case UK farmers are compensated for any losses and guaranteed a good price.

LOL- your point was off the mark....your UK experience has nothing to do with the reality of pollution in BKK.  Once again- a 3rd World country's behavior is evident here. "IF" you are serious about eliminating pollution, then listen to consultants. AND do not think YOU know it all. YOU obviously do NOT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

As Napoleon once remarked "There are no bad regiments there are only bad colonels."

Thailand is stuffed full of bad Colonels.

Never heard of anyone in Thailand having the rank of Colonel. There are Lt/Gens, Maj/Gens, Lt/cols. etc, etc.

But I don't think any of the army, police, immigration, have paid for the rank of just Colonel.????

5 hours ago, doremifasol said:

..........he agreed that the main cause of the haze could be put down to incomplete engine combustion. 

At last.

Welcome to reality.

We need a complete government combustion.

• Haha 1

BFG I say to that phony apology. It is only going to get worse in Bangkok and no matter who is charge they will be powerless to bring about change. Does anyone think Thais are going to give up their cars, take an already overcrowded Skytrain and Underground, stop building more high rises, remove Tuk Tuks old taxes old busses from service???? If so let me interest you in an investment in the Gobi Desert.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Stop blaming diesels. They dont help but they are not the root cause you liars!

Seems there is a push to get taxes from base model elec cars when they arrive to fill the gap that fuel $$ lines the govs pockets.

They should be ashamed. ITS THE FKN SUGARCANE (money make for the gov also) and forest fires, rubbish burning an6s charcoal manufacture which are the leading causes. Stop fooling yourselves. People arent as stupid as yourselves.

Your all fkn murders.

Apology not accepted. Resign immediately and let someone in to fix the country.

Be careful,  if you don't behave,  stop criticising,  and do your duty I will make more changes to the retirement extension policy that will really upset you.

Gen p.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sgoodes said:

I'm waiting for the lazy b*#!d farmers to come out and apologize for deliberately breaking the law burning the cane and poisoning everyone around them. I watched a video of some kids being evacuated from school because of these ar*eholes lighting fires. The kids weren't just walking calmly. They were bolting down the street and the flames and smoke was massive.

3 weeks on and I'm back offshore and still suffering from the effects of this PM2.5.

I used to have a lot of respect for farmers seeing how hard they work but thats changed and they're just a bunch of inconsiderate morons who care about themselves and nobody else to save a few bucks.

While you work offshore,  presumably working on a solar power and wind farm. ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TMNH said:

LOL- your point was off the mark....your UK experience has nothing to do with the reality of pollution in BKK.  Once again- a 3rd World country's behavior is evident here. "IF" you are serious about eliminating pollution, then listen to consultants. AND do not think YOU know it all. YOU obviously do NOT.

Yea yea stop burning fossil fuels as well if your serious about eliminating pollution.
But no no that's inconvenient and I like my car so let's just blame it on the farmers instead lol.

Edited by monkfish

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha ...... called on owners of diesel-run vehicles to only use their cars in Greater Bangkok when it is absolutely necessary."

Does the PM not realise that it is absolutely necessary for a Thai person to use their car (if they own one) as often as possible, even if it runs on diesel ?    Surely he cannot expect these people to use public transport and travel the the great un-washed  !!

• Like 1

OK, so now after ALL the narrative, what has changed specifically about the climate?  Will the Thai Gov suddenly read all the comments and begin to "act" to produce amazing results and impress us?  Come on...who really cares enough to do more than talk.  Nothing will change!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hansnl said:

Easy to blame the government of the day.

Any people will get the leadership they deserve.

And you really think the Thai public, or any other nation all over the world, will do what might be necessary?

Or follow the good example of their "leaders"?

Dream on, for many people a car is a status symbol, giving oodles of face.

Besides, do you really think it will help as authorities, army, don't use their cars for some time.

Maybe 1-2 percent of all cars in Thailand.

Get real!

Yes it is. This government came to power through extra-ordinary means. It follows that they should be able to do extra-ordinary things.

Through their usurpation and their denial of the ordinary democratic processes, the very least that can be expected of them is absolute perfection. If they do not achieve this, then they have failed miserably.

This is the yardstick which they have invited us to judge them by. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Army chief General Apirach Kongsompong said his forces have also actively responded to the government’s policy on fighting the pollution. 

“People should help too. Don’t just blame the government. It’s everybody’s duty,” he said..." 

Why not blame the government? For four years, the army and the government have silenced any and all participation by the people in governing their own affairs. Or, put another way, you stopped people from having a voice, you have to bear responsibility. Suck it up, whinger.

I return to a suggestion I made a few days ago. Why not have the PM, the Cabinet, the leaders of the Military, the appointed members of 'Independent' agencies, and the tree-stumps appointed to the NLA all give up their cars for a while? You know, lead by example?

Leadership starts at the top, and the top is NOT doing its fair share.

Put up or stop complaining.

Rather, put up and stop complaining.

Great post. The official Thai tactic when confronted by a seemingly difficult solution is to stick

the head in the sand, the tail in the air and wait for the blast.

This a really difficult decision for non decision makers to make. So we just talk bs.

And wait for 3 more months for the rainy season to wash all the problems away.

It is/was obvious all along that the deadly fumes in cities is diesel/petrol and factory fumes.

But no, we deflect and say it is due to burning incense sticks.

It is obvious that much of the rice/sugar cane burning contributes, but at a less potential cause.

It is also obvious that Indonesia and Cambodia contribute far more burn pollution than Thailand.

That is not a defence of Thai habits. It shows that action is needed at an ASEAN level.

If rice, corn, sugar cane clippings and other organic were composted it would easily solve about 50% of the problem. 

Sure it takes a year, but the benefit of compost is better than fire ash. And promotes worms and so on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike787 said:

OK, so now after ALL the narrative, what has changed specifically about the climate?  Will the Thai Gov suddenly read all the comments and begin to "act" to produce amazing results and impress us?  Come on...who really cares enough to do more than talk.  Nothing will change!

All Thais do is talk. 10, 20, 30 years from today, it will be the same or only marginally different. 

Another day, more talk, talk, talk.  Talk is cheap, as are apologies.  So sorry the pollution is bad!  So sorry we have done nothing year after year!  So sorry we will continue to do nothing!  So sorry you will just get day after day of talk, talk, talk about the problem but no action!  So sorry we love to hear ourselves talk but not actually do anything!  Meanwhile, it's up to you to solve the problem by not driving your diesel auto!  It's all your fault!  

• Like 2