Extension Cord Confusion

ricklev

In Thailand a flat only female socket would not be practical. So many round male plug sockets on appliances. You might find "knock off" flat extension cords at Amorn stores. They sell what at first glance appear to be Woods brand of electric cables with the same font and trade dress on the package. But not so the quality by a long shot. Kitchens in the USA might have more grounded outlets, AND GFCI receptacles in the kitchen so minimal needs for electric extension cords in a modern kitchen. Home builders skip outlets in kitchens in many Thailand homes in my observation. You can buy GFCI outlets in Thailand marketed by Safe T Cut.  

41 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Actually I, the OP,  am not looking for a cheap extension cord in Thailand.  I was just curious why the style available everywhere in the USA for less than 50 baht is not available in Thailand.   I would venture to guess that 80% of the households in the USA has at least one of those cheap extension cords in use or in their house.  Any USA folks disagree?

The single end UL certified cord you show in the OP is available on the China market for around $ .28/piece 2000 min order. 

Maybe Thailand has no demand for this type of cord same corned beef.

51 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Actually I, the OP,  am not looking for a cheap extension cord in Thailand.  I was just curious why the style available everywhere in the USA for less than 50 baht is not available in Thailand.   I would venture to guess that 80% of the households in the USA has at least one of those cheap extension cords in use or in their house.  Any USA folks disagree?

The US NEC requires a power socket at minimum 6' of horizontal wall space and ever since I wired my first house in 1978 I always added more like in the kitchen and entertainment areas.  My only recall of using extension cord was in the garage and outside.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, Crossy said:

My main worry with these isn't the rating of the cable (supposedly 13A or so) but the quality of the contacts in the business end. A few in-out operations and these can start fizzing happily even with very low power loads, plenty enough heat to get a small conflagration going if not noticed. 

Spot on there Crossy..........

I would not touch the cheaper "power boards" sold over here for about 99 baht, with a barge pole and there are several reasons for this: –

As has been said the contacts are made from an inferior material with what looks like a brass coating and there is no preformed tension on them, so they spread and generate heat because of poor contact.

Some of these have a three pin plug, yet when I open up the power boards, the Earth is not connected to what would supposedly be the earth pin and I would suspect that this hole in the board for the earth pin just facilitates the fitting of a three pin plug, but can be very misleading to the uninitiated.

The boards that have an individual switch for every outlet can also create problems and I would suggest that the quality of the soldering inside of these boards could be better achieved by a five-year-old, and as for running 10 A also through these small switches with even smaller contact areas inside, well you take your life in your hands.

Almost forgot, inside one power board, the colour coding from the cable leading into it, was different from that which was used inside, so switching neutrals could have been the result.

I made my own extension leads to facilitate putting my slow cooker outside on the balcony, so two pin and very low amperage, through to a hefty extension lead of the type I used to use when I was in the business – – safe and secure.

Archived