"You can't live in Thailand" - country becomes hub of "Black Snow"

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"You can't live in Thailand" - country becomes hub of "Black Snow"

"You can't live in some parts of Thailand due to illegal, uncontrolled,burning of sugar cane and rice stubble." Which causes black snow.

There are also many areas where the air is, fortunately, still clean and breathable.

• Like 1

soot

noun
\ ˈsu̇t

, ˈsət, ˈsüt

\

Definition of soot

(Entry 1 of 2)

: a black substance formed by combustion or separated from fuel during combustion, rising in fine particles, and adhering to the sides of the chimney or pipe conveying the smoke especially : the fine powder consisting chiefly of carbon that colors smoke

The excuse for burning used to be, to get rid of snakes before the cutters went in ...

As I visited numerous farms on business over very many years ( not sugarcane farms ), I often encountered snakes and, was once shown a large python which the workers had caught and were going to sell for meat in the market.

See the web link below for some interesting general info about sugarcane.

https://sites.google.com/site/sugarcanepm/pre-harvest-burning

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Burning sugar cane is illegal. She should report the municipal authority for negligence of duty to someone higher up the food chain.  

Sangsom comes from sugar cane. so its all fine by me. :burp:

Carry on burning , i say :shock1:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

You say there are areas where there is clean air...... Enlighten us please.

At this very moment here in our out of the way Issan village i cannot breath outside.

There are 2 fires burning here, 1 of them is burning rubber or something similar, the air is toxic.

The only area left in Thailand with decent year round air quality is the south around Phuket.  The extended rains help a lot but they don't have the cars or the industry and much less burning. Occasional smoke can drift from Malaysia/Indonesia but at at least you don't have to worry about factory pollution like the bkok/chonburi/rayong area.

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Burning sugar cane is illegal. She should report the municipal authority for negligence of duty to someone higher up the food chain.  

Do you honestly believe anybody higher up gives a rat's @rse?

• Like 1