METV or NonImm O-A questions: Sydney

Hi!. I'm hoping for some guidance re visa application in Australia (METV or perhaps NonImm O-A). I've been lurking (& I think learning) for a long while, but still could do with some help ...

Me:

In Australia (Sydney), over 50, retired, able to meet both 65k and 800k O-A criteria. I have travelled to Thailand a number of times over the last few years (60 days on SETV in mid 2018, visa exempts for 2 weeks in early 2017, & 3 weeks in 2014). I have toured by bicycle & hope to do that also on my next trip (I understand the risks as I have done so previously - I try to be careful, but realise that's no guarantee of safety, either in Thailand, or Sydney).

Plans:

I have booked flights to Thailand (DMK) in mid-May, leaving (from DMK) toward the end of August (i.e. over 90 days between flight in & flight out). During this time my intention is to tour & exit Thailand overland (by bicycle) & re-enter (again likely by bicycle) so that I do not exceed a 90 day stay in Thailand. 

It is likely I will want to return to Thailand within the next 1 - 2 years, possible for a longer stay. Hence I am contemplating a NonImm O-A (Multi-Entry AUD 550) as an alternative to METV (AUD 275). 

Visa requirements & my questions:
1. RE METV: I understand that an METV permits 60 day per entry, so I would need to either exit before that, or obtain an extension. 

Sydney's Thai Consulate-General website & visa forms for METV indicate a need for

a) Confirmed accommodation under your name for the duration of your stay in Thailand (although the form itself only asks for  'Proposed address in Thailand').
Question: Do I just put my first nights accomodation booking here (I think that's what I did last time)? My intention is to find accommodation as I go.

b) A copy of airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand.
Question: In view of reports re DMK entry problems with METV, is a ticket out before 60 days advisable (even though I intend to exit by land)?

c) The form has spaces for First Entry and Second Entry flight details, & Duration of Proposed Stay. 
    This is problematic, as plans between initial entry and final departure will be fluid. 
Question: Any suggestions on how to deal with this - I suppose keeping 'Duration of Proposed Stay' below 60 days would be advisable (or 90 perhaps)?

d) The form asks for 'Occupation (specify present position & name of employer)'.
Question: I am hoping 'Retired' or perhaps 'Public Servant (retired)' would be acceptable here? I think that's what I wrote last time. 

e) And of course there are other requirements which do not cause me any concern.

2. Re NonImm O-A (Multi-entry)
Sydney's Thai Consulate-General website & visa forms for NonImm O-A indicate - There is an additional form to the basic form which is in common with METV.

a) The additional form asks for more detail on the 'Proposed address to stay in Thailand'.    
Question: Do my current plans for frequent movement in Thailand (i.e. no 'fixed address') mean that a NonImm O-A is inappropriate? Would a NonImm O-A cause me difficulties in terms of things such as TM30 reporting (which I haven't quite got my head around yet)? Or, would an accommodation booking (which I could later cancel) be an acceptable solution that would not have any later consequences. 

b) The additional form asks for 'Reference person in Thailand'.
Question: Would a contact person at the 'proposed accommodation' satisfy this, or should it be someone that 'knows me' & can say I'm a decent chap!?

c) And of course there are other requirements (e.g. Police Check & Medical) which do not cause me any concern, although it sounds like convincing a JP to sign each page of the necessary documents might be challenging.
Question: It appears that there would be less potential issues (or none?) with entering at DMK wth the NonImm O-A, so that a flight booking out before 90 days would not be necessary/recommended. Is this correct?

Note: I am aware of reported problems at Poipet. My aim would be to avoid entering Thailand at that border point. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I would attempt to contact the Consulate-General in Sydney direct, but I have seen reports suggesting that emails etc often don't get replies. 

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

In your case the METV would suit best.

It should be easy to fit the out/ins to Thailand and locally obtained extensions with some easy planning.

Overherebc always gives good advice. To be honest I did not read all your detailed op post. However OP you have done your homework. The O-A

is a ripper given your in Sydney. Only Sydney and Canberra do O-A.

Perhaps take above advice about metv but certainly put O-A on a future plan. Few more hurdles but has some sides such as multi entry etc..and can be milked for couple of years by exit just prior to first 12 month date

Edited by DrJack54
Error

2 minutes ago, Thaicycle said:

However, still a little concerned re potential for problems at DMK if I don't have a booked flight out of Thailand within 60/90 days (or perhaps problem boarding airline in Aus or KL - Airasia).

If you have a valid visa for entry a return or onward ticket is not required to enter the country.

3 minutes ago, Thaicycle said:

Thanks, I was starting to think that. 

However, still a little concerned re potential for problems at DMK if I don't have a booked flight out of Thailand within 60/90 days (or perhaps problem boarding airline in Aus or KL - Airasia).

If you enter Thailand with a visa you do not need flight out. The flight out would be an airline issue if you did not have a visa to Los

OP maybe I'm joining too many dots, but if bit of extra effort and few $ isn't an issue, then go for an OA. ..if you decide that los is your thing you could come back when your permission of stay is still valid (almost 2 yr) then move to annual 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. Only you know what best suits you

overherebc: Yes, I was contemplating a 'throw away' booking (not familiar with making a booking I wouldn't need to pay for). But as ubonjoe says it's not necessary I will probably go without. I will make sure I have 20k baht with me - I'm aware of some reports of DMK 'issues', but I suspect I'm not in an 'at risk' profile. If I get sent back to KL, I'll just ride my bike up from there - have done that before :-). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thaicycle said:

overherebc: Yes, I was contemplating a 'throw away' booking (not familiar with making a booking I wouldn't need to pay for). But as ubonjoe says it's not necessary I will probably go without. I will make sure I have 20k baht with me - I'm aware of some reports of DMK 'issues', but I suspect I'm not in an 'at risk' profile. If I get sent back to KL, I'll just ride my bike up from there - have done that before :-). 

????

I'm just a belt and braces guy.

Been on married multi 0's for years and we travel a lot around SE Asia and back to UK even the consulates/embassies that don't require finances I always carry an up to date bankbook to show just in case.

That's just me though. ????????

• 2 months later...

I hope it's OK to revive this as it is now getting close to time for me to make my visa application (at Sydney consulate). Although METV is a definite possibility, I have been keeping in mind DrJack54's comments encouraging me towards O-A and I think I have all the requirements for O-A in hand (police check, medical, bank details), except in regard to "Proposed address to stay in Thailand" and "Reference person in Thailand".

Can anyone comment on what is likely to be accepted as "Proposed address" (& pro's/con's of any options - e.g. re TM30's etc). Would it matter if my plans change later & I end up at a different address, including perhaps a different province? I understand (at least to some extent) the need to report location & try to get some evidence of this from the hotel (unless I report myself).

If I were to use the hotel where I will initially stay in Bangkok (only for a couple of nights) as 'proposed address', is this likely to be sufficient? This would also be the address I put on the entry form (TM6?). The hotel will presumably report location for TM30, although I am initially not intending to stay longer than 90 days in Thailand. 

Or, would it be better to book some accommodation in Chiang Mai (where I potentially will end up for a longer period - however I would be travelling for quite some time before arriving there). 

Also, I regard to 'Reference person in Thailand': Would a contact person at the 'proposed accommodation' satisfy this, or does it have to be someone that 'knows me' & can say I'm a decent chap!?

You are over thinking this

All the Thai Consulate wants is a completely filled out application form and the documents required.  Full Stop.  No one is going to check, unless they see a blank spot

What proposed address you put down will never be verified and has no impact on your future plans, since all Thai Immigration is going to have on file is your entry date, passport number, visa number, expiration date, all of which are supplied when you enter the country and the Immigration Officer checks you in.  So you use a hotel address, like everyone else does 

As to the reference person this once again will not be checked.  If you are that worried about it list the name of the person who acknowledged your hotel reservation

The main problem some people have with the O-A is that they some times have problems with the police report and medical form, you appear to not have a problem with this so go for the O-A.  Too much is better than not enough  

With an O-A you get a non immigrant visa, which shows that you are "considering" a long stay in Thailand, not locking yourself into a long stay and allows more flexibility than a Tourist visa of any stripe. If you want or need a Residency certificate it is easier to obtain with an O-A, bank accounts are easier to obtain with a non immigrant visa, Thai drivers license easier to obtain with an non immigrant visa, due to the Residency certificate requirement 

And don't forget the bonus of it being only Multiple entry, exactly what someone who likes to travel needs

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

40 minutes ago, Thaicycle said:

Thanks, $275 is better! It would be O-A for me.

Hmmm,not an option on Canberra Thai Embassy website, seems a glitch if on Sydney one, maybe just available here!

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Hmmm,not an option on Canberra Thai Embassy website, seems a glitch if on Sydney one, maybe just available here!

It appears to be omission on the embassy website and it is only mentioned on the Sydney fee schedule.

I cannot be applied for here. It can only be issued at a embassy or official consulate.