Jomtien Immigration - absolutely super quick with little queues today. Is this normal?

Made a trip to Jomtien Immigration today for my extension of stay, being my 1st ever one done at Jomtien. Always had them done at BKK and it was always a pain in the ass wasting a whole day of waiting for 100 people in the queue before me.

Today I arrived around 12:30pm when they were having their lunchbreak (12pm-1pm). Was absolutely surprised when I got my queue ticket with only 5 people in front of me. When lunch was over at 1pm I was called up at 1:10pm. Gave the passport, paperwork and fee, there was no mucking around by the immigration officer who looked through the docs quickly and told me to wait a few mins to collect my passport. About 2 mins later the paperwork is processed and another lady calls me and gives me back my stamped passport and receipt.

I was shocked I spent less than 45mins waiting (including 30mins of their lunch break). In BKK it takes nearly a full day of standing around for 80-100 people in the queue before you to get to the 1st stage of handing in their paperwork. Then having to wait another 30mins to get your passport stamped and returned. Is this normal for Jomtien Immigration or is it because I went here on Chinese New Year? Looks like Jomtien could be the one which wastes the least time of our day in the whole country, unless there's ones that process things quicker and has less people in the queue.

Edited by bbi1

Do not drag this too far now. fastest in the country? And you have only checked up Wattana, Bangkok? The worst place ever timewise.....

No my friend, little bit more experience before you talk about best in the country. My Immigration-office in Chaiyaphum is always fast as hell,, and nice people working there, so there you have it, and I can promise there will NEVER totally during a full week being 100 people there.....

glegolo

It can be quiet some times of year, but I suspect the Chinese NY had an impact, you were lucky! 

Generally Dec/Jan/Feb is quite busy with a lot of tourists in town. If you avoid Mondays and Fridays, days after holidays you can get lucky. Getting your passport back the same day is unusual, I usually have to go pick it up the next day (retirement extension).

It's rare you will spend more than a few hours there though... better than most places.

A lot of people may have done early extensions last month to get their Embassy letters accepted, they were super busy in December.

Edited by jacko45k

7 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Do not drag this too far now. fastest in the country? And you have only checked up Wattana, Bangkok? The worst place ever timewise.....

No my friend, little bit more experience before you talk about best in the country. My Immigration-office in Chaiyaphum is always fast as hell,, and nice people working there, so there you have it, and I can promise there will NEVER totally during a full week being 100 people there.....

glegolo

Yeah, I can only compare it to BKK and it's absolutely horrible there and gets worse every 3 months for the past few years. Glad to be out for now. How quickly do they do it at Chaiyaphum? 5 mins wait or nobody in the queue at all?

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It can be quiet some times of year, but I suspect the Chinese NY had an impact, you were lucky! 

Generally Dec/Jan/Feb is quite busy with a lot of tourists in town. If you avoid Mondays and Fridays, days after holidays you can get lucky. Getting your passport back the same day is unusual, I usually have to go pick it up the next day.

It's rare you will spend more than a few hours there though... better than most places.

Wow two days to get your passport back! Even in BKK you get it back the same day.

But just to be clear, I'm talking about a 30 day extension of a tourist visa, not a retirement visa. Don't know how quick they process the other ones or how long the queue is for that one.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Op, thanks for report. Could you add what you supplied. In particular, since you have changed location from CW did you do a tm28, tm30, ....Show new lease? Etc

Yep, did a TM30 by the agent/landlord when I moved in here then when I flew back in I went to Jomtien Immigration and did another TM30 to say I'm still at the same address. Completely stupid and a waste of time but has to be done here or they fine you. Actually, that was the longest queue time here, I had to wait just over one hour that time to submit the TM30 form. The TM30 form photocopied is needed when you apply for an extension so better make sure it's done.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

But just to be clear, I'm talking about a 30 day extension of a tourist visa, not a retirement visa. Don't know how quick they process the other ones or how long the queue is for that one.

Yeah most other things are done in one visit, just the 1 year extensions take longer. I think it helps them process more people each day.

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Jomtiem may be “Super Quick” but here in Chiang Mai they are handing out BIRTHDAY CAKE instead of queue numbers!!!...

Not that long ago people were complaining they had to get there at 5am to get in a queue! Glad to hear it got good after so many years of miserable service.

• Like 2

Just got back from Jomptian, it was chocka block, we got there at about 1400hrs and the queue was half way down the car park, when we left probably about one and half hours later the queue was still the same. Normally on an afternoon it's straight in and out.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

Just got back from Jomptian, it was chocka block, we got there at about 1400hrs and the queue was half way down the car park, when we left probably about one and half hours later the queue was still the same. Normally on an afternoon it's straight in and out.

Guess you were unlucky then. At 12:30pm there was no queue for the numbers and around 1 to 1:30pm there was a small queue of a handful of people waiting for a queue number inside the building (maybe 8-10 people).

• Like 1

Just now, bbi1 said:

Guess you were unlucky then. At 12:30pm there was no queue for the numbers and around 1 to 1:30pm there was a small queue of a handful of people waiting for a queue number inside the building (maybe 8-10 people).

To be honest that damned queue to get the tickets is the bottle-neck and there is not enough space to accommodate the numbers. Still better than having to deal with the grumpy guy as it was before.

• Like 1

Made a trip to Jomtien Immigration today for my extension of stay, being my 1st ever one done at Jomtien. Always had them done at BKK and it was always a pain in the ass wasting a whole day of waiting for 100 people in the queue before me.

Today I arrived around 12:30pm when they were having their lunchbreak (12pm-1pm). Was absolutely surprised when I got my queue ticket with only 5 people in front of me. When lunch was over at 1pm I was called up at 1:10pm. Gave the passport, paperwork and fee, there was no mucking around by the immigration officer who looked through the docs quickly and told me to wait a few mins to collect my passport. About 2 mins later the paperwork is processed and another lady calls me and gives me back my stamped passport and receipt.

I was shocked I spent less than 45mins waiting (including 30mins of their lunch break). In BKK it takes nearly a full day of standing around for 80-100 people in the queue before you to get to the 1st stage of handing in their paperwork. Then having to wait another 30mins to get your passport stamped and returned. Is this normal for Jomtien Immigration or is it because I went here on Chinese New Year? Looks like Jomtien could be the one which wastes the least time of our day in the whole country, unless there's ones that process things quicker and has less people in the queue.
I wonder which one was you,as i was there doing it at about the same time lol in and out very quick

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Yeah, I can only compare it to BKK and it's absolutely horrible there and gets worse every 3 months for the past few years. Glad to be out for now. How quickly do they do it at Chaiyaphum? 5 mins wait or nobody in the queue at all?

5 minutes that can never happen either with extension nor 90 day report. But I am happy that at must there are mayvbe 1 before me in que or most often nobody at all.... Time wise extension 20 minutes all in all and some 6-7 minutes with 90 day due to that I am in the computer system and they just scan my passport, print out the TM47 and I sign it and they stamp my passport and I am gone....

glegolo

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

when I flew back in I went to Jomtien Immigration and did another TM30 to say I'm still at the same address.

When you did your TM30 for the second time, what did you submit, besides the TM30 form. My agent (real estate) also did my TM30 three months ago and I haven't left the country since then. I leave next month. Wondering what docs needed for the second submission of TM30. Should I ask my agent (real estate) to do the same again?

Edited by onera1961

24 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

When you did your TM30 for the second time, what did you submit, besides the TM30 form. My agent (real estate) also did my TM30 three months ago and I haven't left the country since then. I leave next month. Wondering what docs needed for the second submission of TM30. Should I ask my agent (real estate) to do the same again?

Just bring your passport and old TM30 and ask at the immigration counter after returning to the country. They will give you the  form and tell you which pages of the passport needs photocopying plus the TM30 form. Anyway, the photocopying people will know also what needs photocopying.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah most other things are done in one visit, just the 1 year extensions take longer. I think it helps them process more people each day.

Yep, a friend did his one year extension on Fri, Jan 4 in Jomtien.

Pickup on following Monday.

Seems to be the norm there.

Even due to potentially busy date he didn't complain about long queues.

Here in Khon Kaen one year extension (retirement) in one session (from 30 min and up).

After officer checked all the paperwork/computer fiddling/taking picture etc. the file is carried to the "boss" for signature. Usually takes no more than another 5 to 10 min.

Hope it is unchanged after they moved to new office.

Edited by KhunBENQ