Friend went incommunicado for 24 hours. Help?

PPVisitor

39 minutes ago, PPVisitor said:

Advice on what can I do? 

you need to think about how out of character this is for your friend. only you can hit the panic button and go to the police. 

drinks? drugs? having a romance? or very responsible? 

1 minute ago, PPVisitor said:

@NCC1701AI have his phone number. But not reachable. Tried other mediums as well, but still incommunicado. Been more than 24 hours actually. Getting increasingly worried, cos so out of character for him

go to the nearest police station and make them come to the bungalows. 

@NCC1701ANot at the same time, he got here first and I came later. Staying at different places. Saw him right before he went incommunicado. Not the party kind so definitely not the case of phone missing, oversleeping etc. Even if phone went missing, he's still got his computer with him which he can log on to FB, Instagram etc but not reachable via those mediums either.

@cornishcarlos I am more than worried. Just afraid that the bungalow people are on it in case of foul play. Cos the bungalows look hell sketchy

7 minutes ago, PPVisitor said:

@NCC1701Ais that the best option I have? Cos I'm on the island, alone now, and pretty scared to have a target on my back..

I would make a point of telling the police you have done a live stream video on facebook about that is happening.

and of course let all your family and friends know you are contacting the police.

that you have contacted your embassy about a missing person.

tourist police number is 1155. 

use google map to located near by hospitals.

Obviously something bad might have happened. But on the other hand maybe not.

We had enough stories here and in the international press where someone was missing and hell was raised - only to find out that that was not the perfect moment to show up with the police.

Sure it would be nice to know for you what is going on. But this could backfire...

And what can you really do in any case?

15 minutes ago, PPVisitor said:

@NCC1701Ais that the best option I have? Cos I'm on the island, alone now, and pretty scared to have a target on my back..

There comes a time when you need to put aside concerns about upsetting the bungalow owner, neighbors etc. 

And there comes a time when you have a responsibility to go to the police. partly because maybe he's had an accident and is waiting to be found. The quicker the police are contacted the better.

As already said, doors and door locks or whatever can be replaced / fixed. One possibility could be to take the police to the bungalow and push them to break the door in, or tell them you will do it, and also tell them you will pay for any repairs if needed.

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I would make a point of telling the police you have done a live stream video on facebook about that is happening.

and of course let all your family and friends know you are contacting the police.

that you have contacted your embassy about a missing person.

tourist police number is 1155. 

use google map to located near by hospitals.

In general I think it's not a good idea to lie to the police - even if it's not a big lie like maybe the facebook comment.

Because if the police officers are smart, and some are smart, they will ask questions and more questions. Like show me the page and who did you talk to at the embassy and things like that.

And maybe you have to admit you were lying. And then? Maybe the police won't like that and they think what else of his story is wrong...

weren't tourists killed by toxic fumes in bungalows?

if you are alarmed enough, get someone, police, but why not a rescue service or police volunteers (ask motorcycle taxis) to help kicking the door in, just to be sure.

How much does a door lock cost ?? 
If you are genuinely worried, kick the door in and deal with the consequences later. Just make sure it's the right bungalow...
Bad advise. He will get charged for break and enter and a 2k door will end up a 100k extortion. TIT

2 minutes ago, madmen said:
1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:
How much does a door lock cost ?? 
If you are genuinely worried, kick the door in and deal with the consequences later. Just make sure it's the right bungalow...

Bad advise. He will get charged for break and enter and a 2k door will end up a 100k extortion. TIT

Rubbish... Most rental bungalows have cheap door locks that cost a few hundred baht.. If it potentially saves a friend's life, even a few thousand baht is peanuts

Rubbish... Most rental bungalows have cheap door locks that cost a few hundred baht.. If it potentially saves a friend's life, even a few thousand baht is peanuts

Awwe your so nieve it's kind of sweet. 

Police will be called when the door gets kicked in usually resulting in the smashing of the door. You think your in a chuck norris movie? Break a door is nearly impossible without extreme force!

Break and enter is an offense that will get you arrested 100%

The dumbest advice I have ever heard on TV!

How about use what's between your ears and have management or police open it.

Duhhhh!

23 minutes ago, madmen said:

Awwe your so nieve it's kind of sweet. 

Police will be called when the door gets kicked in usually resulting in the smashing of the door. You think your in a chuck norris movie? Break a door is nearly impossible without extreme force!

Break and enter is an offense that will get you arrested 100%

The dumbest advice I have ever heard on TV!

How about use what's between your ears and have management or police open it.

Duhhhh!

Thailand needs a dose of Chuck Norris, now that's a good idea... 

I hope his friend is not behind that door in need of urgent help... 

But the OP has gone AWOL too now, must have been arrested for looking at the door !!!

Breaking the door open on your own is a stupid idea. Depending on what's behind you could be in a world of trouble.

If you have to, ask for help from someone you can trust. That way there's a witness that you weren't up to no good. Best get the boys in brown on it.

1 hour ago, PPVisitor said:

@NCC1701ANot at the same time, he got here first and I came later. Staying at different places. Saw him right before he went incommunicado. Not the party kind so definitely not the case of phone missing, oversleeping etc. Even if phone went missing, he's still got his computer with him which he can log on to FB, Instagram etc but not reachable via those mediums either.

@cornishcarlos I am more than worried. Just afraid that the bungalow people are on it in case of foul play. Cos the bungalows look hell sketchy

Pal of mine in London went 'incommunicado' just before Xmas, he had collapsed in his room and was discovered 48hrs later, barely alive.

Another pal (Dave2 in Chiang Mai) disappeared, only to be found dead in his room when 7 days later people investigated the smell.

You gotta check the room.

Archived