If health insurance becomes mandatory ,what then?

38 minutes ago, perconrad said:

But they do not pay for much

Nor would I call those premiums cheap. they aren't especially at the upper age groups. For virtually the same money you can get real (e.g. USD 250K and up per year) cover sans the silly "OPD" bit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He seems to mean an amount equivalent to what people pay into SS. Not going to happen. that scheme gets by on that amount because the majority of people it covers are comparatively young, active working people.

Letting expat retirees pay their way into it is a good idea but the premiumnwould have to be higher for people newly entering at age 50+ than for people who entered the scheme while employed.  There is no indication that this is under consideration, though. It would be more likely that government might eventually let resident expats pay to come under the "30 baht" scheme as they already do this for migrant workers from neighboring countries. They'd have to figure out an appropriate premium first and that would take some research.

On the other hand, the contributions made by “ young active people” also help fund the pension part of the SSF, miserly though it is. Any payment by retirees would only be for medical coverage. I would also argue that those young active people are more likely to be involved in expensive hospital stays after a motor bike accident or other incident, while a retiree probably lives a more sedate and sensible life ? By the time you are 60 or so you should have realized that you are not bulletproof and have acquired more common sense than the average young local.

What is the road accident and serious injury rates for 65yo retirees and 25yo Thais ?

Also some retirees would not collect on this compulsory insurance as they would not be satisfied with a government hospital , and would take out private cover to get treated at a better private hospital.

And of course, a retiree contributing on the basis of a 65000 baht/month income would be paying in more than most Thais do ?

Yes it would require some actuarial research to get the right premium but I suspect it would be close to what I suggested.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MikeN said:

On the other hand, the contributions made by “ young active people” also help fund the pension part of the SSF, miserly though it is. Any payment by retirees would only be for medical coverage. I would also argue that those young active people are more likely to be involved in expensive hospital stays after a motor bike accident or other incident, while a retiree probably lives a more sedate and sensible life ? By the time you are 60 or so you should have realized that you are not bulletproof and have acquired more common sense than the average young local.

What is the road accident and serious injury rates for 65yo retirees and 25yo Thais ?

Also some retirees would not collect on this compulsory insurance as they would not be satisfied with a government hospital , and would take out private cover to get treated at a better private hospital.

And of course, a retiree contributing on the basis of a 65000 baht/month income would be paying in more than most Thais do ?

Yes it would require some actuarial research to get the right premium but I suspect it would be close to what I suggested.

Check into what the social-health coverage here actually covers - it omits a lot; the 30-baht rule is not the whole story.  I don't think it even covers accidents (though covered by moto-ins, if you are sober and wearing your helmet at the time).  You can buy "add ons" for things like cancer-treatment coverage at your local bank.

At the risk of seeming smug -- but I've already been called that so so what -- one of the factors in my moving to Thailand was the availability of medical insurance that was not available to me on an individual policy basis in the US except at exorbitant cost and maybe not even then. So I now have had full medical coverage for 15 years in Thailand and continue even though I am registered for Medicare but that is only good on American soil.

I can also decline Medicare Part B with no penalty on reinstatement by being in Thailand sponsored by an NGO which qualifies for a waiver so that pays for almost half my monthly insurance premiums.

So if insurance at some point becomes mandatory, not everybody will be scrambling -- and I don't see the OPD thing as being a deal breaker.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

Just a bunch of unfounded rumors about it.

It all started from a news article stating they were considering it for OA long stay visas issued at embassies and consulates which did not happen. Not a word more about it since then.

Joe the news article I saw said they were asking the Thai insurance companies to propose packages to cover 40KTHB outpatient care, 400KTHB inpatient care. It looked a little more than a speculative discussion, which I took as the next stage in the process. However, many topics are discussed in this way and never see the light of day. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

Joe the news article I saw said they were asking the Thai insurance companies to propose packages to cover 40KTHB outpatient care, 400KTHB inpatient care. It looked a little more than a speculative discussion, which I took as the next stage in the process. However, many topics are discussed in this way and never see the light of day. 

Look, it's not unfair for countries that have a lot of folks from overseas living or retiring to their country to expect them to not be a burden on the country. Having enough to live on (not just scrape by on) and to have health insurance is a fair request. Even the US is having trouble dealing with all the folks crossing the border and receiving health benefits, food stamps, free education, etc. and they are the richest (if you exclude the huge debt they own) country in the world. Is it really unfair for Thailand, which is not that rich of a country, to expect those who choose to live there to have the means to be able to fund their existence?

24 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Even the US is having trouble dealing with all the folks crossing the border and receiving health benefits, food stamps, free education, etc. and they are the richest (if you exclude the huge debt they own) country in the world.

A myth. US even does not give any tax payers' money for asylum seekers. All benefits are charitable. And no they don't get food stamp unless they have children. Yes, the children get free education in schools and it helps the future economy when they are employed. 

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

A myth. US even does not give any tax payers' money for asylum seekers. All benefits are charitable. And no they don't get food stamp unless they have children. Yes, the children get free education in schools and it helps the future economy when they are employed. 

They should go to the UK they will get treated better than ,pensioners who worked all their lives

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I can also decline Medicare Part B with no penalty on reinstatement by being in Thailand sponsored by an NGO which qualifies for a waiver so that pays for almost half my monthly insurance premiums.

Can you please elaborate on this NGO thingy and declining Medicare Part B and still be able to enroll without penalty. I know if you decline Part B, in the future if you want to enroll in it, you will have to pay a penalty. But would like to know how the NGO is paying 50% of your part B premium and the waiver they have that enables you not to have to pay penalty if you wish to enroll in the future.

5 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Can you please elaborate on this NGO thingy and declining Medicare Part B and still be able to enroll without penalty

Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 Section 5115 as of February 28, 2006:

Waiver of part B late enrollment penalty for certain international volunteers.

Provides for the waiver of the Part B late enrollment penalty and establishment of a special enrollment period for beneficiaries who are volunteering outside of the U.S. through a 12 month or longer program sponsored by a tax-exempt organization defined under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and who have other health insurance coverage.

1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

Look, it's not unfair for countries that have a lot of folks from overseas living or retiring to their country to expect them to not be a burden on the country. Having enough to live on (not just scrape by on) and to have health insurance is a fair request. Even the US is having trouble dealing with all the folks crossing the border and receiving health benefits, food stamps, free education, etc. and they are the richest (if you exclude the huge debt they own) country in the world. Is it really unfair for Thailand, which is not that rich of a country, to expect those who choose to live there to have the means to be able to fund their existence?

Even the US is having trouble dealing with all the folks crossing the border and receiving health benefits, food stamps, free education, etc.

Except that Thailand gives none of this to any expat....

Thailand does not give so much a 1 baht to any westerner..

Westerners have zero rights or benefits....

Thats what made Thailands easy visas a fair trade off....Remove the easy visas and your not left with much of any thing.....

Hell even many banana republics give residency rights after staying there a number of years....And many offer the option of buying into state heath care at non greedy rates...   

Edited by fforest1
  • Thanks 1

I apologise in advance as I haven't read all ten pages.

Personally, I had Bupa UK insurance since I was around 20 years of age, moved to Thailand and so had to change to Bupa Int.  Weirdly, the premiums increased ????!

Then I went through a bad couple of years, and had to reduce to Bupa Thailand.... who took into account every pre-existing condition - even though they'd all occurred during my time with Bupa UK.

Financially, things became even worse and so I was without insurance for 3 months, after 30 years of coverage.

3 months later my financial situation improved, and so I tried to get back to Bupa Int. - but as I'd missed 3 months of premiums, everything went back to ground zero......

My premium had doubled, and all pre-existing conditions were excluded - and pretty much everything could be blamed on my pre-existing conditions, for which I'd never claimed, other than seeing consultants to diagnose the problem....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Nearly everyone under 65. 

Why do you say that?

The link I gave show premium until 100yo...

And very high premiums compared with say AETNA.

Not sure that many people are interested in an US Insurance company...

And a link please to show their premium for similar required coverage ?

PS: This page https://longstay.tgia.org/ lists the 3 Thai companies who participle to this scheme.

They propose an health insurance that qualifies for O-X (and will for O-A if ever it's required)

31 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why do you say that?

PS: This page https://longstay.tgia.org/ lists the 3 Thai companies who participle to this scheme.

They propose an health insurance that qualifies for O-X (and will for O-A if ever it's required)

Bupa is now Aetna, their rates are shown below.

Pages from Insurance_Medical.jpg

43 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why do you say that?

Yes, premiums up to 100 yrs old, but when I put a birthdate making me over 65 yrs old to start a new policy, it stopped.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Thanks.

Always uneasy to compare insurances when their coverages differ,

AETNA coverage is higher, but their Premium is also nearly TWICE the price of VIRIYAH...

I have an AETNA policy, which was a follow on to BUPA Thailand. I took it out when I was 64 years old, and am now 71.

Last year I paid Bht 57,000 for OP only cover but that will probably be around 60k this year.

I have claimed from BUPA twice ( 10k for Dengue Fever and 65k for an Angiogram) and they payed no problem.

I have looked at other alternatives but have not found a single one who will start anyone over 70, most of them 65.

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, premiums up to 100 yrs old, but when I put a birthdate making me over 65 yrs old to start a new policy, it stopped.

Yes, only renewals if over 65, quite common. Gotta get in early.

• Thanks 1

I once asked my IO why the marriage extension requirement was half of that of someone single.

His answer was single men have to pay for medical care, married men have a wife to care for them.

So there you have it, married men already have a health insurance policy.  ????

• Haha 1

I have an AETNA policy, which was a follow on to BUPA Thailand. I took it out when I was 64 years old, and am now 71.

Last year I paid Bht 57,000 for OP only cover but that will probably be around 60k this year.

I have claimed from BUPA twice ( 10k for Dengue Fever and 65k for an Angiogram) and they payed no problem.

I have looked at other alternatives but have not found a single one who will start anyone over 70, most of them 65.

i'm using healthcare international, based in london.

according  to their website "Our plans are tailored for expatriates with the only proviso being that you must be aged under 75 when first applying. Annual plans are renewable for whole of life."

have been with them for nearly ten years.  haven't made a claim yet, so can't advise on that, but online comments are positive.

signed up a year after heart surgery.  had cardio excluded for first five years.  other pre-existing have a 2-year moratorium.

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

i'm using healthcare international, based in london.

according  to their website "Our plans are tailored for expatriates with the only proviso being that you must be aged under 75 when first applying. Annual plans are renewable for whole of life."

have been with them for nearly ten years.  haven't made a claim yet, so can't advise on that, but online comments are positive.

signed up a year after heart surgery.  had cardio excluded for first five years.  other pre-existing have a 2-year moratorium.

And your premium please?

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

with the $2k deductible, about $1000 annual fee.  i'm told it's cheaper than the obamacare back in the states.

Just onto their website. Can only get Emergency Cover £3198 = Bht 130528 !!!! with £1400 excess.

You are getting a good deal.